Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also reading THE MUSICAL WORLD OF J.J. JOHNSON--I'm hoping to do a special about him for what would have been his 80th birthday this January.

Any chance that fellow board members will be able to listen to this online?

pryan, yeah, sure. I don't know yet whether it will be airing on our public radio station or our community radio station. I'd prefer to do it on the public one, but I don't know if we'll be able to squeeze it in or not. I'm trying to line up David Baker for an interview, but I don't know if it will happen or not--he's an extremely busy guy, but I know he'd like to do it if he can find the time. J.J. was sort of a mentor to him. In any case, it will probably air around his birthday, either Jan. 21 or 22, and I will post the link here. Just got ACROSS 110TH STREET in the mail yesterday, which will give me something to represent J.J.'s film/TV years.

Started reading a Christmas present last night: SECRET AGENT X-9, a 1991 compendium of the 1934 comic strip that Dashiell Hammett authored. A fascinating moment in the career of the man who wrote THE MALTESE FALCON.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished two of the best fiction books I've read in a looooooooong time. The first one is called "Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan. It' set in the future when people's minds/personalities/souls/whatever can be up- and downloaded digitally into new bodies. But the story itself is a hard-boiled murder mystery type thing. I wouldn't say it breaks any new ground, but it's a great example of the genre.

The other was called "Ordinary Horror" by David Searcy, and this was about a guy who has pests in his rose garden ... he orders some mysterious plants that are supposed to naturally take care of the problem but, of course, cause some problems of their own. Or not. This is the kind of book one has to read for one's self; a plot synopsis doesn't give the full flavor. The writing was fantastic and even though nothing much happens, the book still scared me.

This is the kind of book one has to read for one's self; a plot synopsis doesn't give the full flavor.

A requirement for a book to be top notch, as far as I'm concerned. I hate it when I finish a really good book and I'm telling the wife about it, and she asks "what's it about?" It used to drive me crazy! Take for example, a book mentioned in the baseball book thread: A False Spring by Pat Jordan. Is it about baseball? Well, yes, but only a totally simplistic skim would lead you to say "it's about baseball". It's about failure, dealing with failure, growing up, dreams and reality, all kinds of stuff. It's about life, as any good book is. But when I throw my hands up and tell my wife "it's about life", she just shakes her head, looks at me funny and whines "that's what you always say!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm deep in 'Duke Ellington, Day By Day, Film By Film' a more than 700 pages book by Dr. Klaus Stratemann.

This is a very detailed account of all the films and videos Duke Ellington was involved in. Plus a day-by-day account of the band activities.

Thought it would be of little interest and kept away from it for a long time. Now that I finally got it, I find it totally fascinating.

This whole Ellington business is like a labyrinth. And I love being sidetracked by all the information that is in the book.

Is it this one Chris ? I'm a couple of chapters in at the moment

0300097271.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's the one-- I'm about 3/4 through. Not the most scintillating read, but interesting. The musical analysis is sometimes good, but often a little too gushing. And there are moments when I feel like I am reading some kind of gig-o-log just outlining one gig to the next... but still worthwhile because I find Evans' music so intriguing...

Is it this one Chris ? I'm a couple of chapters in at the moment

0300097271.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's the one-- I'm about 3/4 through. Not the most scintillating read, but interesting. The musical analysis is sometimes good, but often a little too gushing. And there are moments when I feel like I am reading some kind of gig-o-log just outlining one gig to the next... but still worthwhile because I find Evans' music so intriguing...

Totally agree. I found the book to be a little wearisome. As you say, it becomes one of those, "and then he played..." sort of books. Very disappointed in the biographical aspects of the book as I felt it shed very little light on Bill Evans the man.

I'm currently reading this novel:

1590510666.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written by Leslie Epstein, the son of CASABLANCA co-screenwriter Philip G. Epstein. It's sort of an autobiographical fiction based on his own life. Wonderful writing.

I have fun reading Melville though, but then I'm different. . . .

We all know that, Lon.

And it's one of the reasons we like you as you are. Keep it that way :D

Moby Dick is a great book and I will never tire of it.

There are some slow sections in the middle dealing with whale minutae but the language is grand.