Now reading...

Started rereading Neil Gaiman's Good Omens this morning. I haven't read this since it came out about ten years ago. It'll be interesting to see if my fond memories of it are due to it's writing or my "comic geek" love of Gaman's work back then...

Check out Alan Moore's classic V for Vendetta. It's been a while since I've reread that one--I wonder about my fond memories of it, too :)

Edited by Muskrat Ramble

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris, who was the VOA jazz man who spun discs for decades and had a huge (tens-of-millions) following throughout the world yet was virtually unknown in the U.S.? He died 5 or 6 years ago....maybe longer.

Willis Conover

He taught more people about jazz than anyone else. Save for Pops maybe.

Hew was a pretty good writer. I have read his liner notes on a few records and they're always witty and very-well written.

Didn't I read somewhere that Frank Kofsky and he have an altercation in the press sometime in the 60s?

Do you know what that was about? The communist and the VOA jazz director. 'nuff said.

Edited by Dmitry

Chris, who was the VOA jazz man who spun discs for decades and had a huge (tens-of-millions) following throughout the world yet was virtually unknown in the U.S.? He died 5 or 6 years ago....maybe longer.

Willis Conover

He taught more people about jazz than anyone else. Save for Pops maybe.

I grew up on Willis Conover's nightly broadcasts. Tried to catch as many as I could in the '50s. The VOA broadcasts were relayed from Germany on long-wave and the sound used to disappear every two or three minutes. The sound on the new BN 'Miles Davis in 1951' is high fidelity compared to what we could catch in these pre-FM times.

But Conover always played a great selection from the new albums that came up at the time and were mostly unavailable to most of us.

He died in 1996.

Shameless Exploitation in the Pursuit of the Common Good by Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner. It's about the history of the "Newman's Own" line of products, and is funny as hell!

Also just started Never Mind the Pollacks. Only through about three pages or so, but this one is also cracking me up!

I was going through my old books the other day, that I fell heir to when my mother died. Along with tons of F. Marion Crawford, A.E.W Mason and Sax Rohmer and three books of poetry, I found the companion to the family bible, when I was growing up. I say companion, because it's bound the same way, in leather and always was next to the Bible on the shelf. Because of my mother's exacting rules for book-use, these are all immaculate, even the ones printed in the 1880's. I can hear her telling me not to turn down the corners, or turn them on their faces, instead use a bookmark. As I go through them, I occasonally find a piece of paper, or an old photograph, marking a place to be gone back to. Wow.

In any case, the title of this book is "Lives Of The Saints" and it's a collection of bios of the R.C. saints, not alphabetical, but from the first century A.D. on to the 1950's.

I would estimate that about 85-90% of these people were martyrs. I often wonder how many of us would have held onto our faith under the conditions and torture that these people went through. Holy man!!!

This was published in 1953 and the introduction was written by Thomas Plassmann.

Great, full-colour illustrations, with the very first one of St. Michael vanquishing Satan. The caption reads, "St Michael, as one of the Archangels, is always reppresented with wings and in armor. Often he is shown with a pair of scales, representative of his function in weighing souls."

I decided that I would start at the beginning, which I have never done and wade through the whole shebang.

I used to skim through, as a kid and look at the pictures, which were worse than horror comics in their full-colour illustrations of martyrdom. I had only read the bio of my own baptismal saint, St Theresa and that of St Agnes, who is always pictured holding a lamb in her arms. Interesting reading now though.

Did you know that St. Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians??

Edited by patricia

Had to go out of town for a couple of days, so I brought a book that I hadn't read in a long while: William Carlos Williams Spring and All. What an amazing book of poetry and prose it is! Sometimes I forget how new and radical the writers in the 1920's really were. I've been becoming very interested in the Advant-garde, its history, and also, A/V in modern jazz. Just a very exciting topic, and Spring and All has to be the clarian call for, not just the American A/V, but for all American artists. Glad I took it, even if I did have to suffer through boring meetings.

I was going through my old books the other day, that I fell heir to when my mother died. Along with tons of F. Marion Crawford, A.E.W Mason and Sax Rohmer and three books of poetry, I found the companion to the family bible, when I was growing up. I say companion, because it's bound the same way, in leather and always was next to the Bible on the shelf. Because of my mother's exacting rules for book-use, these are all immaculate, even the ones printed in the 1880's. I can hear her telling me not to turn down the corners, or turn them on their faces, instead use a bookmark. As I go through them, I occasonally find a piece of paper, or an old photograph, marking a place to be gone back to. Wow.

In any case, the title of this book is "Lives Of The Saints" and it's a collection of bios of the R.C. saints, not alphabetical, but from the first century A.D. on to the 1950's.

I would estimate that about 85-90% of these people were martyrs. I often wonder how many of us would have held onto our faith under the conditions and torture that these people went through. Holy man!!!

This was published in 1953 and the introduction was written by Thomas Plassmann.

Great, full-colour illustrations, with the very first one of St. Michael vanquishing Satan. The caption reads, "St Michael, as one of the Archangels, is always reppresented with wings and in armor. Often he is shown with a pair of scales, representative of his function in weighing souls."

I decided that I would start at the beginning, which I have never done and wade through the whole shebang.

I used to skim through, as a kid and look at the pictures, which were worse than horror comics in their full-colour illustrations of martyrdom. I had only read the bio of my own baptismal saint, St Theresa and that of St Agnes, who is always pictured holding a lamb in her arms. Interesting reading now though.

Did you know that St. Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians??

Have you read any Robertson Davies (my favorite Canadian author)?

He has a book about a guy who researches and writes "Lives of the Saints" sort of stuff--part of his Deptford triology which I recommend very highly.

--eric

014015910X.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Reading this now. It's kind of 50s-ish, but has lots of good things to say about small towns, art & music, and can be very funny.

The small town thing being important for me having grown up and spent all my life in big cities and now living in a city that barely qualifies as such.

Small town Canada circa 1952 bears a lot of similarities to my current home.

--eric

Just read Michael Tomasky's article in the New York Review of Books on the new La Guardia biography; he basically said it's OK but that the best La Guardia biography is Alyn Brodsky's 1989 bio THE GREAT MAYOR: FIORELLO LA GUARDIA AND THE MAKING OF MODERN NEW YORK CITY, 1933-1945. So I've checked it out of the library and hope to start it in another hour or two.

I have been reading through Stefan Heym's "Nachruf" for a couple of weeks now. It's a real fascinating book, but I can't seem to make real progress.

I just checked amazon.com and was a bit disappointed to find there is hardly anything available in english, not even from his american years when he a.o. wrote the acclaimed novel The Crusaders. Does this really mean he was right: was it THAT bad under McCarthy's regime? Has american literary history disposed of his writings?