Blindfold Test #6 Discussion

randyhersom

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. It took me 2 days or replaying this in my head to figure out exactly who this was. I've worked at a couple of radio stations, and I instantly knew that I'd heard this tune at one of them, but I couldn't remember which one or why or who it was. Finally, I got it: it's this guy.. Last year another guy at the station produced a program of his complete work, and this tune was used as the "bed" for the 30-second promo he made for it. I was running another program at the time and had to play the promo 4 or 5 times. Don't know what album it is, but I'm 99% sure it's him. Not quite gritty enough for my tastes, but a nice performance nontheless.

Good heavens! The guitar indeed sounded familiar. I will order this the minute I can read here which CD this is on! I love it, and my wife loves it too!

Now all that's left (I think) is 2-6, something that Mike says is not listed on AMG. Accoustic bass, bass clarinet, ample percussion, and the guitarist's tone is somewhat reminiscent of Sam Brown. Well, well, well....

I don't wanna spoil Randy's fun - or yours - but it's not the Headhunters, although the sound leading you to such a guess may be the clue.

It's not Sam Brown. The guitarist did not exactly play guitar in one of the bands of those two down beat poll winners.

I checked it again: this album is not on AMG, though all the musicians involved are. I didn't know it is such a rare LP: a GOOGLE search brought up only 6 pages where it was mentioned. Phew!

An AllTheWeb search brought up another webpage of a used records dealer who has a copy for $ 25.00. :w

Not having read ANYTHING in this thread, I humbly present my guesses:

DISC ONE

Track 1: Sounds like Illinois Jacquet to these ears! Wild and raucous! I love it!

Track 2: Haven’t a clue. I’ll probably kick myself for not knowing this one, but I can’t say I’ve ever heard it before.

Track 3: This album convinced me to shell out the cash for the Sam Rivers Mosaic, as well as further investigate the catalog of Andrew Hill. An inspired choice!

Track 4: I almost gave up too soon on this one. Then the sax solo kicked in. I think I’ve heard this one: is this Ken Vandemark? Don’t know who the drummer is, but I’m pretty sure I heard this on KNTU a few years back, and e-mailed them about it.

Track 5: Something wild going on here! Can’t wait to find out who it is, cuz I don’t have a clue! Hey, can I trademark the following for “haven’t a clue:” HAFC™. I will say this, though: these cats have stamina to burn! Almost puts me in mind of Cecil Taylor! Of course, I say that without having heard anything of his beyond Unit Structures!

Track 6: “The Water is Wide?” Rosemary Clooney? Just guessing, of course. Sure is nice, though. Oops. The male singer just started. HAFC™, then! I gave up around the 4:30 mark.

Track 7: I’ll guess something by Eric Dolphy, with Ron Carter on cello, from that New Jazz album Dolphy did. Out There, or something like that?

Track 8: HAFC™, again!

Track 9: No one, but NO ONE, has as distinctive a sound as Johnny Hodges! You don’t even have to know the song (as I don’t) to know….. Er, ahhhhh, hang on, I’ve heard that chord before!!! I’ve heard that chorus!!! Wait, wait, I KNOW THIS!!!! AAAARGHHH!!! I’m gonna KICK myself for forgetting this one!!! Oh wait, I remember now: a very Shakespearean tune! There! Now I don’t feel so dumb! Except that I forgot the title of the song. Oh well, I’ll go back and listen to the album once I’m done typing up all this!

Track 10: A classic track from probably my favorite period of this man’s career, and very definitely my favorite album of his anyway! Truth be told, the first time I heard this album, I had to do a double-take: I thought it was Dexter Gordon, and had I not already known who this was, that would’ve been my guess!

Track 11: HAFC™, but it’s so FUNKAY!!!!

DISC TWO

Track 1: Sounds like Elvin at the drums, but beyond that, it’s HAFC™ time again! Another one I can’t wait to find out about!

Track 2: Seems like I’ve heard this tune before; I guess this is some kinda vocalese thing. NMCOT™.

Track 3: NMCOT™. I’m only about a minute into this, and I’m not much for vocal music to being with, so I think I’ll skip the rest of this track. But the arrangement sounds like Claus Ogerman.

Track 4: Sure sounds like Bobby Hutcherson to me. Perhaps that one track from Tony Williams LIFETIME? Cuz that sure sounds like TW. But then, I had that LIFETIME, and I remember that track being a lot longer. So I guess it’s from another Hutch album.

Track 5: This sounds like Phil Keaggy, who is my favorite guitar player. If it isn’t, then maybe it’s Michael Manring, one of PK’s influences. But this sounds like something from Keaggy’s 220 album, or maybe his On the Fly album, or heck even the Premium Jams CD. Who knows? It‘s been so long since he‘s put out a decent vocal album; but then, when you‘re as good a guitar player as PK is, who needs vocals?

Track 6: HAFC™, but verrrry interesting indeed! Perhaps the Headhunters without Herbie Hancock? Cuz that sure sounds like Bennie Mauppin on bass clarinet! Actually, the more I listen to this, I wanna say CTI-era George Benson. Just has that CTI sounds: Ron Carter bass, Airto percussion.

Track 7: AAAAAARGH!!! I know I’ve heard this before!!!! But where?!?!?!? Herbie Mann maybe? I gave up around the 8-minute mark. More because I can’t wait to read the “guesses” thread than not liking the song (which I do like; I’ll finish listening another time. This tune would be good for one of those long drives down a country rode or thru the Hill Country. It has that kinda groove!).

Track 8: HAFC™, again! Nice, though.

Track 9: Sounds like something from Ornette on Tenor. Another one I haven’t listened to in ages.

Track 10: WTF?!?!?!?!? NEXT!!!!

Track 11: Sounds like Johnny Griffin on the tenor, Art Taylor on drums, something from the 80’s I guess. Has a nice sound to it! And it's "A" Train, of course! :)

Now to read everyone else's guesses and see if I've come even close on any of these!

Now all that's left (I think) is 2-6, something that Mike says is not listed on AMG. Accoustic bass, bass clarinet, ample percussion, and the guitarist's tone is somewhat reminiscent of Sam Brown. Well, well, well....

With the exception of the sustained open string, the bass sounds like an electric.

Edited by rockefeller center

With the exception of the sustained open string, the bass sounds like an electric.

It's an upright, but with one of them dreaded pickups just coming up around that time, they sounded really awful, no bottom, no warmth. I'm thankful for technical progress in that particular respect.

I hate the bass sound on that record, and I don't like the conga playing - sound like he overdubbed the bells and stuff later, which are nice, but his conga playing is hard, not smooth, and not in the pocket with the drummer. I like the music as a whole, the tunes, the guitarist, and the reed guy. It is Maupin, but as I said, not the Headhunters, it was recorded in 1974, and the bassist (not Ron Carter) and the drummer where the rhythm section for a pretty famous West Coast pianist at the time.

If this doesn't help ...

... you will have to wait for the answers thread :g

It's an upright, but with one of them dreaded pickups just coming up around that time, they sounded really awful, no bottom, no warmth. I'm thankful for technical progress in that particular respect.

I see. Thanks for the info. Back to google...

It is Maupin, but as I said, not the Headhunters, it was recorded in 1974, and the bassist (not Ron Carter) and the drummer where the rhythm section for a pretty famous West Coast pianist at the time.

If this doesn't help ...

... you will have to wait for the answers thread :g

Somebody tell Chris Genzel. because he don't know either!