Don Cherry - Art Deco

scoos_those_ blues

Hello to all. I am a new member - a big fan of straight ahead and modern jazz, bebop and hard bop from the 40's to the 60's, as well as blues of many kinds. I have been dipping in and out of this board for a while, and made a few purchases based on recommendations from these pages. Now is as good a time as any to leap in.

I thought I would recommend a great album as my first post. I listened to Don Cherry's 1989 record Art Deco last night - loudly - with a few glasses of wine - and feel the need to tell the world what a fine piece of work it is.

It is essentially a straight ahead, boppish album, soulfully played inside by players who have been way out there in the past, often together: Don Cherry, Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins having played together in an early Ornette Coleman lineup. There are free touches - but for the most part feet are firmly planted in the blues.

Tunes are a mix of great standards (including Body and Soul and Bemsha Swing)and originals. The recording (by RVG) was made on early digital reel to reel and is a little brittle at times, but clear as glass and very listenable.

Great blowing, great interplay, overflowing with heart.

Any love for this album?

post-17782-0-34813900-1346908011_thumb.j

Probably my favorite Don Cherry recording. Nice, straight-up jazz. Unlike some of Cherry's more exploratory outings, this is an easy listen. I haven't spun it in years, but I know the tenor player was James Clay. Kind of an odd choice considering that 3/4 of the band were Ornette vets. I'll have to give it a listen sometime soon. It was part of an A&M Records series called American Jazz Masters or something like that. That series included albums from artists as diverse as Gerry Mulligan and Sun Ra.

Probably my favorite Don Cherry recording. Nice, straight-up jazz. Unlike some of Cherry's more exploratory outings, this is an easy listen. I haven't spun it in years, but I know the tenor player was James Clay. Kind of an odd choice considering that 3/4 of the band were Ornette vets. I'll have to give it a listen sometime soon. It was part of an A&M Records series called American Jazz Masters or something like that. That series included albums from artists as diverse as Gerry Mulligan and Sun Ra.

Though Clay did woodshed with Ornette and Cherry during his LA stint in the mid-50s...

If you enjoy Clay's work here, his Verve & Antilles dates from around the same era are worth tracking down: I LET A SONG GO OUT OF MY HEART and COOKIN' AT THE CONTINENTAL.

Fine date, and, thankfully, among the easiest to find of the American Jazz Masters Series recordings.

Though Clay did woodshed with Ornette and Cherry during his LA stint in the mid-50s...

Right, didn't Cherry play piano in one of Clay's outfits during that time?

I love the range of Cherry's projects--and for collectors of unissued concerts that range is even more evident. Art Deco is a great album, and definitely the most straight-ahead. Sheila Jordan has had the title tune in her repertoire for years, with her own lyrics.

One of the biggest disappointments is the album with Trane, a weak link for both of them. Does anybody know if it was originally planned with Cherry as leader, or was it indeed co-led, as released some years after it was recorded and put in the can?

Right, didn't Cherry play piano in one of Clay's outfits during that time?

I don't recall that tidbit, but I'm far from being on expert on Ornette's earliest LA days. Wonder if this is mentioned in Spellman's 4 LIVES...