THE SCHOOL OF JAZZ, INCORPORATED

presents

THE THIRD ANNUAL BENEFIT CONCERT

August 29, 1959

8:30 P.M.

BERKSHIRE MUSIC BARN

LENOX, MASSACHUSETTS

PROGRAM:

Max Roach, John Lewis Ensemble: Don Cherry-tpt; Ornette Coleman-asx; Kent McGarity-tbn, btpt; Steve Kuhn, Ron Brown-p; Larry Ridley-b; Barry Greenspan-d

THE SPHINX (Ornette Coleman)

INN TUNE (Margo Guryan)

Kenny Dorham Ensemble: Peter Farmer, Kenny Dorham-tpt; Sture Swenson-bsx, tsx; Paul Dunyhower-tbn; David Lahm, Ran Blake-p; Walter Bernard-b; John Bergamo-d

D. C. SPECIAL (Kenny Dorham)

Bill Evans, Jim Hall, Connie Kay Ensemble: Al Kiger-tpt; Ted Casher-tsx; Dick Wright-tbn; Gary McFarland-vbs; Attilla Zoller-g; Dizzy Sal-p; Doug McLaughlin-b; Bill Sharfman-d

MONK'S SPHERE (Gary McFarland)

JINGLES (Wes Montgomery, arr. Al Kiger)

Jimmy Giuffre F. & M. Schaefer Scholarship Ensemble: Tony Greenwald-tpt; Jimmy Giuffre-ww; Ian Underwood-f; Lenny Popkin-asx; Herb Gardner-tbn; David Mackay-p; John Keyser-b; Paul Cohen-d

STRATUSPHUNK (George Russell)

RAY'S TIME (Jimmy Giuffre)

Gunther Schuller Ensemble: Perry Robinson-cl; John Eckert-tpt; Don Stewart-tsx; David Baker-btbn; Gunther Schuller-fr hn; Sandy Schmidt, Nico Bunink-p; Mona Neves-b; Bob Fuhlrodt-d

LONE RANGER AND THE GREAT HORACE SILVER (David Baker)

Herb Pomeroy Ensemble: Tony Greenwald, Al Kiger, 2 unknown-tpt; Ornette Coleman, Lenny Popkin-asx; Ian Underwood-f, asx; Ted Casher-tsx; Sture Swenson-bsx?; Herb Gardner, Paul Dunyhower?-tbn; David Baker-btbn; Gary McFarland-vibes; David Mackay-p; John Keyser-b; Paul Cohen-d; Herb Pomeroy-cond

TO THEE, O ASPHODEL (Bobby Freedman)

PAUL'S PAL (Sonny Rollins)

BLUE GRASS (Danny Kent)

---------------

I got all the information from Mike Fitzgerald's invaluable site (see more here).

Ornette is burning on "The Sphinx"!

Anyone knows this stuff?

ubu

Didn't know this existed, sure would like to hear it ( ;) )!

Jimmy Giuffre, Lenny Popkin and Ian Underwood - what a reed section. I bet a list of all the Lennox students would read pretty wild. Maybe that's where Don Ellis met Dave MacKay, the first pianist of his big band in California and fellow member in the Hindustani Jazz Sextet.

Check the link for more information, Mike!

This of course is no official release (however sold as if it was - sometimes those CD stores don't seem to know what they sell!).

And there were more titles performed. The CD includes only a third or half of the music from the 1959 concert.

ubu

This is the Royal Jazz CD which came out in 1990. One of the most interesting albums released by the French bootleggers who were issuing those unissued sides. They also released CDs with rare music from Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Kenny Dorham and others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

bringing up the Lenox School of Jazz thread again

can anyone verify what vinyl was originally released from the 59 date (Aug 29) - an Atlantic test pressing has been mentioned & for sale (see above - unfortunately the link to ebay no longer exists)

The Lord discography also mentions a "special LP, not for sale" - I wonder if he is referring to the test pressing?

Discogs also mentions a privately pressed LP & a repressed Italian facsimile (does this reuse the original LP cover) - if it was only a test pressing, I can't imagine a properly designed cover was made)

http://www.discogs.com/Ornette-59-Lenox-School-Of-Jazz/release/4368556

Were all 11 titles (in circulation on the 2 CDs) released on this mysterious LP (LPs)?

So, was there a private pressing with that amazing cover plus a test pressing for Atlantic

Michael Fitzgerald's site does not discuss the LP/LPs (AFAIK)

• 10 years later...
On 1/28/2004 at 11:40 PM, king ubu said:

I found a very interesting CD today, which has the following contents:

1959 Concert Program

THE SCHOOL OF JAZZ, INCORPORATED

presents

THE THIRD ANNUAL BENEFIT CONCERT

August 29, 1959

8:30 P.M.

BERKSHIRE MUSIC BARN

LENOX, MASSACHUSETTS

PROGRAM:

Max Roach, John Lewis Ensemble: Don Cherry-tpt; Ornette Coleman-asx; Kent McGarity-tbn, btpt; Steve Kuhn, Ron Brown-p; Larry Ridley-b; Barry Greenspan-d

THE SPHINX (Ornette Coleman)

INN TUNE (Margo Guryan)

Kenny Dorham Ensemble: Peter Farmer, Kenny Dorham-tpt; Sture Swenson-bsx, tsx; Paul Dunyhower-tbn; David Lahm, Ran Blake-p; Walter Bernard-b; John Bergamo-d

D. C. SPECIAL (Kenny Dorham)

Bill Evans, Jim Hall, Connie Kay Ensemble: Al Kiger-tpt; Ted Casher-tsx; Dick Wright-tbn; Gary McFarland-vbs; Attilla Zoller-g; Dizzy Sal-p; Doug McLaughlin-b; Bill Sharfman-d

MONK'S SPHERE (Gary McFarland)

JINGLES (Wes Montgomery, arr. Al Kiger)

Jimmy Giuffre F. & M. Schaefer Scholarship Ensemble: Tony Greenwald-tpt; Jimmy Giuffre-ww; Ian Underwood-f; Lenny Popkin-asx; Herb Gardner-tbn; David Mackay-p; John Keyser-b; Paul Cohen-d

STRATUSPHUNK (George Russell)

RAY'S TIME (Jimmy Giuffre)

Gunther Schuller Ensemble: Perry Robinson-cl; John Eckert-tpt; Don Stewart-tsx; David Baker-btbn; Gunther Schuller-fr hn; Sandy Schmidt, Nico Bunink-p; Mona Neves-b; Bob Fuhlrodt-d

LONE RANGER AND THE GREAT HORACE SILVER (David Baker)

Herb Pomeroy Ensemble: Tony Greenwald, Al Kiger, 2 unknown-tpt; Ornette Coleman, Lenny Popkin-asx; Ian Underwood-f, asx; Ted Casher-tsx; Sture Swenson-bsx?; Herb Gardner, Paul Dunyhower?-tbn; David Baker-btbn; Gary McFarland-vibes; David Mackay-p; John Keyser-b; Paul Cohen-d; Herb Pomeroy-cond

TO THEE, O ASPHODEL (Bobby Freedman)

PAUL'S PAL (Sonny Rollins)

BLUE GRASS (Danny Kent)

---------------

I got all the information from Mike Fitzgerald's invaluable site (see more here).

Ornette is burning on "The Sphinx"!

Anyone knows this stuff?

ubu

In an old discography I had read that Jimmy Giuffre perhaps had played together with Don Cherry. Is that possible? I think not,  I don't think so, though....

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 10:05 PM, JSngry said:

It was a school, or a clinic really. So Giuffre & Cherry could well have played together, even though not on the concert that was recorded.

Original LP:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4368556-Various-Ornette-59-Lenox-School-Of-Jaz

https://www.discogs.com/release/10340832-Various-Lenox-School-Of-Jazz

Many Thanks

On 5/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I bought the Royal Jazz bootleg CD reissue of this concert recently, so many of the musicians are unidentified. It is obviously dubbed from an LP as the audio clicks are audible.

Many Thanks