New Monk Quartet release

romualdo

The "Nice Life Music" label has just released the complete (?) first & second sets (almost 80 mins) of the Dec 2, 1969 Cologne concert - more titles than Kelly lists in his sessionography

this appears to be a WDR concert recording - excellent quality

Havn't heard of this label before but Matias Rinar has written the liner notes so I suspect it is part of the spanish stable

Impressed by the SQ

Paris Wright is the son of bassist Herman Wright (from Detroit) who most of you probably know of (he is on numerous great sessions throughout the late 50's and '60s).

Paris was 16 when he first went on tour with Monk (I believe he turned 17 sometime during the tour) and I think played with him for about 6 months or so.

I believe he knew the Monk family from a very early age. While still a teenager, I think he also played with Mingus and Dizzy Gillespie. He was a talented young drummer and got a lot of shots but then dropped off the scene.

I've done some work and recording with Paris starting almost 20 years ago. I used to play some sessions with him and his father at his father's apartment and later Paris put a band together (that included me) and recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's but it was never released. Nelly Monk came to the recording session and also I think to a few gigs. She was one of the sweetest, kindest people I have ever met.

I still do a gig with Paris every now and again, always local here in New York of course.

He is still a good hard swinging drummer in the Roach/Blakey tradition.