A Symphony of Amaranths first ever CD reissue!

RogerF

Neil Ardley's "A Symphony of Amaranths", one of the most important British jazz albums ever recorded is being reissued for the first time on CD since its original release in 1971. Amongst the stellar line-up of musicians who appear on the album are names such as Henry Lowther, Harold Beckett, Derek Wadsworth, Ray Premru, Barbara Thompson, Dave Gelly, Don Rendell, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Stan Tracey, Karl Jenkins, Alan Branscombe, Frank Ricotti, Chris Laurence, Jeff Clyne, Jon Hiseman plus vocals from Ivor Cutler and Norma Winstone. This reissue is limited to 1000 copies only and is being made available on the Dusk Fire label. The official release date is 21 January 2013 but the album is also being sold from the Dusk Fire website. This is a very welcome reissue. More details here: http://www.musicsogo...eil_ardley3.htm

Edited by RogerF

A very enjoyable record. I have a copy that Neil Ardley had available on his website before he died.

Well worth getting if that era of British jazz interests you.

I'm not entirely clear why it is "One of the most important British jazz albums ever recorded". I'm not aware of any obvious legacy stemming from it.

Sounds like record company publicity.

Even though I have a vinyl of this one I'll probably also go for the CD. Only 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' to go - interestingly it is those various rare UK Verves of the period that are taking an eternity to be reissued on CD ('Phil Seamen - Now!', Colin Bates 'Brew' come to mind as well as 'Dejeuner'). I wonder what the problem is with those?

A very enjoyable record. I have a copy that Neil Ardley had available on his website before he died.

Well worth getting if that era of British jazz interests you.

I'm not entirely clear why it is "One of the most important British jazz albums ever recorded". I'm not aware of any obvious legacy stemming from it.

Sounds like record company publicity.

Indeed "One of the most important British jazz albums ever recorded" is record company publicity-speak, but in my book at least it is a favourite album and definitely within my top 50 all-time British jazz albums. My spine tingles whenever I hear Ivor Cutler's ghostly rendition of The Dong with the Luminous Nose...The Dong The DONG!

One of the most important British jazz albums ever recorded is being reissued for the first time on CD. Neil Ardley's "A Symphony of Amaranths", one of the composer's major works, is receiving its first ever appearance on CD since it was first released in 1971. Amongst the stellar line-up of musicians who appear on the album are names such as Henry Lowther, Harold Beckett, Derek Wadsworth, Ray Premru, Barbara Thompson, Dave Gelly, Don Rendell, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Stan Tracey, Karl Jenkins, Alan Branscombe, Frank Ricotti, Chris Laurence, Jeff Clyne, Jon Hiseman plus vocals from Ivor Cutler and Norma Winstone. This reissue is limited to 1000 copies only and is being made available on the Dusk Fire The official release date is 21 January 2013 but the album is also being sold from the Dusk Fire website. This is a very welcome reissue. More details here: http://www.musicsogo...eil_ardley3.htm

Thanks for the heads-up, Roger. My order's in.

Lest anyone is in any doubt, my copy arrived in the post today and it's just fantastic. The (digi) packaging is just perfect with facsimiles of the front and back cover of the album and excellent sleeve notes by Dave Gelly. The music, of course, sounds better than ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been giving the old Regal Zonophone LP a spin and reminded again of just what a good production job Lansdowne did on this one - beautifully recorded and crystal clear. A nicely balanced programme of music too - 'orchestral' material featuring strings/harps and with a Bali-ish feel on side 1 then side 2 of the LP devoted to the poetry/vocals with Ivor Cutler/'The Dong With The Luminous Nose' (as featured by John Peel) kicking things off and the rest of the side featuring Norma Winstone. The Ivor Cutler track is sensational.

I want this one for the I-Pod and new notes by Dave Gelly so a CD order is going in. :)

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my package yesterday, two times "Symphony" and once "Camden '70".

Gave one listen to "Symphony" so far and am playing it again right now - sounds mighty great!

Having issues though with the shop (themusicindex.com, the one you end up when going via the link provided in post #1) - they put a total value of 40£ (plus 9£ shipping, makes 49£), instead of the total (including shipping) 35£. This meant I had to pay around 20€ for VAT and custom taxes. I'm working on getting that back, but I have low hopes. I don't think I've ever had this happen ... I wouldn't think it's necessary to tell them to please not put too high but a correct value on the custom's declaration :crazy:

Just ordered Amaranths and Kaleidoscope of Rainbows. I adore so much Ardley's "Greek Variations" (the CD is deleted and goes for high prices); his variations on this very familiar to any Greek folk song that was the main theme of the State Radio for more than half a century work perfectly; genius!

Thanks for the notification.-

Alex

Edited by Alexandros