Cannonball's Complete Capitol Recordings

Joe

Perhaps this has been addressed here before (though an admittedly cursory search of the archives doesn't turn up anything) but I've been listening recently to Cannonball's later Capitols (QUINTET AND ORCHESTRA, THE BLACK MESSIAH) and wondering, "Why hasn't this been a Mosaic set?"

But the question that follows -- "Well, how big of a set would this be? Too big? How much unreleased material might there be?" -- is one I feel completely unequipped to answer. By my count, the number of original LPs issued by Capitol comes to 19 or 20, depending on how you account for the Nancy Wilson date. But how many discs is this, really? A feasible number? If not, how might it makes sense to divide this material up? Would you somehow cull out the stuff that folks most likely already own?

Whatever the case, I do feel like these recordings would benefit from a Mosaic-like presentation. All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Edited by Joe

There are still earlier ones that have only appeared via Japan (and much of what has come out is not in print I think), and I'd love to see a Mosaic set of this, and if Selects weren't history, a few Selects of the later stuff. I'm doubtful we will see any collections like this, but I'd pre-order immediately if they were compiled and released. In the meantime, I'll just seek out the few lps I don't have yet. I really doubt that we would see a lot of unreleased stuff put out in a set.

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks all. Its those limited edition Japanese issues that probably account for much of my confusion as to what, actually, has been brought to market.

Given that so many of the original LPs were sourced (so to speak) from live dates, I have to wonder about unreleased material. But, then again, we probably would have heard much of that already.

The later / 70s material is not to everyone's tastes, but, the more I listen, the more I feel it has -- at the risk of sounding patronizing -- anthropological and historical value beyond musical quality, however measured.

I wasn't that much into jazz at the time (1973), but I was on Capitol's mailing list and received a copy of Cannonball's "The Happy People." It's a Brazilian date, with George Duke, Airto, Flora Purim and Roy McCurdy...those are the names I recall. A really happening, fun, zesty date. I sold my LP many years ago and haven't seen it since. So I think there's a need for a Mosaic of at least the '70's material. Could someone post a list of the Capitol Cannonballs?

What's fascinating to me is that the rediscovery of producer/arranger David Axelrod in the 1990s did not result in more of these albums being issued. People would buy them for Axelrod's name alone, regardless of the identity of the alto player.

There is a nice 2-CD comp of Axelrod's Cannonball stuff on the UK Stateside label that shows up for short dough.

P.S. "Soul Zodiac" is the greatest LP ever made.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

It took three clicks to find this.

http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/leader.htm

:D

It's odd that that list didn't include 'What is this thing called soul' (Pablo), from the 1960 tour. Or 'Cannonball No 1' (Dobre) from 1969.

Oh well.

MG

It's all there, just click onto the Paris concert and you'll see the various releases!

EDIT I:

err, make that: click on any of the three concerts ... guess since the entire venture is albums based and that wasn't the smartest option, it does make sense to group that material in a different way!

EDIT II:

Kind of weird to see that Laserlight put "Big Pee" (the only really missing track from the Fantasy releases, besides the cut out piano solo on the other version that is included - what was the matter there!?) in with the 1969 set:

http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/916.htm

Edited by king ubu