MLB 2013 Season

The Mets are already treated like second class citizens in NYC. Now they're on the verge of being bumped off WFAN, which has been their radio station since WFAN first started broadcasting as a 24-hour sports station in 1987.. Replacing them....the Yankees who are moving from WFAN's sister station WCBS.

Meantime somehow with all the injuries (the injured players salaries would have put them in 3rd) and for a good chunk of the season they team they fielded would have placed them 3rd to 7th of bottom teams in terms of payroll depending what part of the season....they're only 3 games back for the Wild Card....and have the much easier schedule than Tampa Bay for the remaining 18 games left.

Edited by Blue Train

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Painful weekend for Yank fans, starting Thursday with an epic comeback, then pffft! Blown in the 9th, lose in the 10th, then Friday, up 8-3 late, then pffft! Bullpen implosion. Today was a just a good old-fashioned butt-kicking. Bosox lookin' very strong, I hope they sent a thank you card to the Dodgers for this season:)

Unless your theory is purely addition by subtraction, I think that's premature. There's plenty of time for thank you cards in the coming season(s) when the prospects they picked up actually contribute. Credit should go to Cherrington for some pretty shrewd use (to date) of the salary that was freed up though.

Meantime with Ellsbury in a walking boot and possibly out with a broken foot, I do worry that this is their high water mark. I guess the Jackie Bradley era starts early in Boston. Come to think of it, a young, highly touted centerfielder was called up at the end of the 2007 season, became a starter and helped bring a championship home, so maybe Bradley can do the same.

The Dodgers did take a lot of $$ off the Bosox payroll, and Boston did get rid of Crawford & Beckett, a definite addition by subtraction both in payroll and performance.

But Adrian Gonzalez was the only real plus.

The deep pockets of the Guggenheim Corporation are trying to buy the World Series ala George Steinbrenner.

And I sincerely hope they fail...miserably.

Yanks are looking up at two other wild card contenders, and no one has an easier schedule the rest of the way than the Indians. The odds do NOT favor the Yanks at this point, though the deficit is certainly small enough that they could pull it off, or at least find themselves in a tie-breaker game.

Yanks are looking up at two other wild card contenders, and no one has an easier schedule the rest of the way than the Indians. The odds do NOT favor the Yanks at this point, though the deficit is certainly small enough that they could pull it off, or at least find themselves in a tie-breaker game.

You will notice I said Tampa. ;) Tampa was the team that was favored the beginning of the year in the East. Yes, the Indians do have an easier schedule than the Yankees.

The whole point was I didn't think they would be this close with all the injuries and Mr. April circus.

Edited in. Jeter (which really doesn't mean much since he's only been in 17 games and hasn't done much in those games.) out for the year. The Yankees did trade for Brendan Ryan last night who is a far superior fielder than Jeter, but can't hit. Of course, he has about the same average this year as Jeter did in those 17 games.

Eduardo Nunez is a better hitter than Ryan, but he can't field worth a damn.

Edited by Blue Train

I'm not sure which is more surprising, the way that the Red Sox are streaking or the way that the Rangers are collapsing. Can they arrest the skid or are the Indians/Orioles/Yanks going to sneak in somehow?

All I am sure of is that I want the Sox to hang on to the number one seed in the AL and face the winner of the Wild Card game. I don't want the A's or Tigers in a short series, it really is an advantage to face a wild card winner who could have to throw their third best starter in the first game, if they end up playing a tie-breaker before the play-in game rather than another division winner who has time to set up their rotation.

I'd not hope for too much out of the Rangers, to be honest. Except for a few spurts here and there, the offense has not been up to par, and now that September is in full force, the pitching is starting to struggle.

Lone bright spot - Adrian Beltre, as always.

But otherwise - Yu Darvish as lost four 1-0 games this year, and that's just the most blatant example of offensive anemia. The reasons can be debated and dissected (and probably not in that order), but...not for me, not at this time.

Considering how they've collapsed the last two years their run may be over.

The Mets are already treated like second class citizens in NYC. Now they're on the verge of being bumped off WFAN, which has been their radio station since WFAN first started broadcasting as a 24-hour sports station in 1987.. Replacing them....the Yankees who are moving from WFAN's sister station WCBS.

Not on the verge anymore. In the last few years, Mets have outdrawn the Yankees on the radio but that could be because Mets are on an all sports station while Yankees are on an all news station. Edited by Brad

Considering how they've collapsed the last two years their run may be over.

Not on the verge anymore. In the last few years, Mets have outdrawn the Yankees on the radio but that could be because Mets are on an all sports station while Yankees are on an all news station.

Radio coverage is changing next year. NYY moving from WCBS (all-news) to WFAN (all-sports), replacing the Mets on WFAN. (AFAICT, WCBS and WFAN have the same corporate parent).

I don't know where the Mets are going, but haven't taken time to investigate...

See http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-11/yankees-reach-multiyear-agreement-to-be-broadcast-on-wfan-radio.html

When will MLB deal with A-Rod?

Have they been too busy to deal with his suspension?

Exactly.

Why he was there to hit that grand slam is beyond me.

If this was Barry Bonds he'd be vilified and booted from the league by now. Oh wait. That already happened. I guess A-Rod is above all that because he plays for the vaunted Yankees.

You do get there is an entire appeals process and it's now completely out of the hands of Selig? It will be up to the arbitrator.

Per usual in these situations; it won't happen for a while and any suspension won't take effect until next year. That was all reported from the beginning.

If it were up to Selig; he would have banned Mr. April for life, or he would already be suspended....but Mr. April appealed...there is this thing called the CBA that covers all this....not a single unusual thing than every other similar situation has occurred with regards to Mr. April. The only unusual thing that happened this time, is all the rest accepted their suspensions instead of appealing like normal....but of course, the rest were on teams not going anywhere this year....and not as narcissistic/full of shit like Mr. April, and Barroid before him.

P.S. The Yankees would love to be able to get rid of Mr. April and get him off their payroll.

When will MLB deal with A-Rod?
Have they been too busy to deal with his suspension?

Edited by Blue Train

I think we have discovered the reason why A-Rod is still playing:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/A-Rod-makes-slam-history-4831786.php

He passed Lou Gehrig with that Grand Slam.

The last thing Selig, or the Yankees wanted is someone he wanted to ban for life, or they wanted off their payroll is Mr. April passing The Iron Horse.

Replacing one of the most beloved players in MLB/Yankees history with one of the most despised/controversial in recent time? Someone who only Barroid will have a bigger asterisk next to his name. Yeah, that makes sense.

Edited by Blue Train

Mariano Rivera Day.

Say what you want about the Yankees....but they know how to do things right. Everyone was wondering if Metallica would change Enter to Exit for Enter Sandman. Right now....he has 44 saves and tied for 2nd and he's retiring....and he came back from ACL surgery @ 43 to do it. He has @ least 2-years left to put teams asleep.

Class act by the Giants. Willie Mays....the anti-Barroid!

P.S. Rachel Robinson in the house. He's the last player that will ever wear 42.

P.P.S. Hard to believe Rachel Robinson is 91!

Edited by Blue Train