Chuck Nessa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find a frame of reference when I listen to the performance in the original post, so it's strictly a visceral experience for me. There's no easily recognizable category of rhythm to file it under and no catchy melody. As a result the only descriptions coming to my head were "eerie" and "creepy" because it sounds unsettling to me. Maybe I just don't have the mileage listening to such music.

To satisfy my curiosity, would someone humor me with a positive, descriptive review of what was performed? What makes it good, for you? Is it the lack of predictability? The technical skill on the horn? Or is it strictly visceral?

I suppose I should just be satisfied with "not for everyone." :shrug[1]:

While watching/listening to the clip I kept thinking of Lester Young's quote, "but can you sing me a song?" Now that may be unfair since this is the first time I've heard of this player but how far can technique alone take you?

Maybe it's not just technique alone?

And in rereading my post I'd edit out "but how far can technique alone take you". I may never warm up to his playing but I could open up a bit and try to understand what I'm hearing. The closest frame of reference I could muster was, at times, Rahsaan Roland Kirk crying out through his instruments. I'll be interested in reading responses to Noj's post.

I have some reference for Evans extended techniques having heard Cuong Vu, but actually there was one video I saw of Evans a few years ago, I couldn't stop laughing. It was a solo thing, and just the sounds coming out of the horn were hilarious. I did see video of him playing a few standards and he really redefined what those could be, for sure.

I prefer Evans to Payton.

Me, too.

Do you like Mostly Other People Do The Killing and the trio with Halverston and Weasel Walter Larry?

Haven't listened to those yet but will -- I was going by a brief sample of the clip Chuck posted, plus my memories of Evans' performance at the Hideout a year or so ago. And by various encounters with Payton's music.

Mechanical Malfunction - picked up this on the strength of a recommendation here ( new releases thread ?) It took me quite a time to warm up to it. For some reason I kept on listening and really love it Evans works beautifully with Halvorson and Walter. This gets plenty of spins many months on, a keeper.

MOPDTK is mainstream by comparison , hilarious covers and tough post bop with fine playing but not especially original.

the guy that the neo boppers oughtta get a load of is Irabagon

He can play anything their heroes play plus whatever else.

Times I've heard him live, I didn't care for him that much -- rather New York-ish I thought in his taste for seemingly competitive "hotness," not a terrific listener/interactor, at least by the current Chicago standards I'm used to. On tenor, I prefer Keefe Jackson, if comparison must be made. Or Jason Rigby, among New York-based players of that general vintage. But I'll certainly keep listening to and for Irabagon, in the hope that...

I'm really trying to go see Rigby based on your comments above and a few weeks or months back, Larry

It's just that I get to about 2 to 3 shows per month and I get stuck on my favorites....

Irabagon was real good with Helias and Altschul a month or so ago - and whatever showy technique and over the top hotness/shoing off that shows up on a couple of CD's I have (specifically the obnoxious Foxy)- didn't appear that night as I think platying live with Helias and Altschul, nothing he played from that standpoint was going to impress either of those two.

Plus they just finished up 2 to 3 weeks on the road, and I think playing with those two must be helping the young talented saxophonist to reign it in a bit - he seems to be learning something about silence and pacing.

Glad someone else has it in for Foxy, funny cover, great tune names but massive overindulgence. Worst CD i've bought in ages. No idea how it was released. I've read good reviews but it's just one exceptionally long hot solo with Irabagon doing Rollins but without Sonny's finesse or purpose. Awful. Avoid.

To me, Mostly, the music sounds like empty gestures coming from these guys

I think it makes sense to give them some time as well. In today's music, it takes longer for real talented musicians to find their way as so much has already gone on. I feel some of the same things as you do but I think they have great potential but Evans is a bit over 30 and Irabagon is only 35.

You guys are tough. Not even the seal of approval from winning the Monk competiton apparently means anything around here. My standards are not as high apparently. I like MOPDTK and I have enjoyed Irabagon the times I have heard him live with Mary Halvorson and most recently Dave Douglas. I also really like Keefe Jackson and Jason Rigby. Niether Evans or Irabagon are artists I feel the need to go out of my way to hear just yet, but I feel they both have something to say that on certain days I want to hear.