NEW!!! Blue Note Europe Bulletin Board

Aftab

Will you venture over to the Blue Note Europe Bulletin Board?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'll check it out.

I don't spend nearly as much time on the net as I once did so unless there's a mass exodus this will continue to be my message board home. I check out AAJ from time to time and imagine that I'll do the same with the BNBBE. I used to check out JC and Harlem but have not gone to either in a very long time.

Sure, I'll check it out. But I don't see why I should move over there, really. Just to get a Blue Note stamp of approval? This is a pretty tight-knit commity here at organissimo.org, and the new BNBB will be quite a different thing, especially if they leave it wide open for guest postings. Wonder how that's going to work out.

Cheers!

In hindsight, I'm glad the old BNBB crashed and burned. By hanging out at AAJ a lot, for instance, I've been exposed to all kinds of stuff I wouldn't have heard of at the BNBB because of the predominance of BN fanboyism there. There's a vast world of jazz beyond the old American classics or 50's/60's BN releases in particular. No way I'll be heading to another BN board, for that reason and for the rude way the first one was canned.

In hindsight, I'm glad the old BNBB crashed and burned. By hanging out at AAJ a lot, for instance, I've been exposed to all kinds of stuff I wouldn't have heard of at the BNBB because of the predominance of BN fanboyism there. There's a vast world of jazz beyond the old American classics or 50's/60's BN releases in particular. No way I'll be heading to another BN board, for that reason and for the rude way the first one was canned.

Fanboyism??

Listen dude - many of us who hung at the BNBB have and had musical interests beyond Blue Note records. It was the Blue Note board, so yes the majority of discussion was about Blue Note artists. But there was plenty of talk about other stuff as well. Many have used the Blue Note based discussions and the knowledge base of the various posters to expand their listening beyong Blue Note - but you have to start somewhere, and Blue Note is not a bad place to start.

Many also hung there for the internet socialization - because there were a lot of decent folks who posted there and now here.

What I personally don't need is some condescending, arrogant, pompous a-hole judging discussions of people's personal tastes, musical leanings, like and dislikes, attempts at gaining knowledge and the subject of their conversation and labelling them "fanboyism"

You're obviously experienced enough to know a lot about and enjoy various types of jazz. To bad you're not smart enough to know that you have no business judging people because of what they like or dislike. Many have or already had expanded their listening beyond BN. Some will stick with the 50's/60's BN recordings as the focus their listening. What the hell business is it of yours?

What's all zis wild talk about 'Fannyboyisms' and Polish spanking paddles? Sick & wrong!!! :w

Twisted European decadence, Doc. In any event, there's no hope for this new bulletin board--just take a look at the plague of posters who've already infected it:

1    admin      14 Jul 2003 1   

2    Ed Swinnich    Under deep cover 06 Feb 2004 2   

3    Peter Johnson      06 Feb 2004 0   

4    Daniel A    Sweden 06 Feb 2004 0   

5    Jonas      06 Feb 2004 0   

6    vibes    Eden Prairie, MN 06 Feb 2004 0   

7    Kevin Bresnahan    USA 06 Feb 2004 2   

8    Claude    Luxembourg 06 Feb 2004 3   

9    king ubu      06 Feb 2004 0   

10    louder    SoCal 06 Feb 2004 0   

11    shawn-m    bothell, wa - usa 06 Feb 2004 8   

12    Gary      06 Feb 2004 0   

13    The Red Menace    my dacha 06 Feb 2004 1   

14    Aftab    Green Bay, WI 07 Feb 2004 3   

15    J.A.W.    Groningen, Netherlands, EU 07 Feb 2004 0   

16    Indestructible!      07 Feb 2004 2   

17    deus62    Germany 07 Feb 2004 0   

18    TomatObluenote      07 Feb 2004 1   

19    BeBop    Earth 07 Feb 2004 1   

20    GA Russell    North Carolina 07 Feb 2004 0   

21    Out2Lunch      07 Feb 2004 1   

22    aric      07 Feb 2004 2   

23    wulfman    Ottawa 07 Feb 2004 0   

A hopeless case, Doc, unless perhaps your notable powers of persuasion can be brought to bear on this neurotic crew of wiseacres...

just take a look at the plague of posters who've already infected it:

1     admin      14 Jul 2003 1   

2     Ed Swinnich     Under deep cover 06 Feb 2004 2   

3     Peter Johnson       06 Feb 2004 0   

4     Daniel A     Sweden 06 Feb 2004 0   

5     Jonas       06 Feb 2004 0   

6     vibes     Eden Prairie, MN 06 Feb 2004 0   

7     Kevin Bresnahan     USA 06 Feb 2004 2   

8     Claude     Luxembourg 06 Feb 2004 3   

9     king ubu       06 Feb 2004 0   

10     louder     SoCal 06 Feb 2004 0   

11     shawn-m     bothell, wa - usa 06 Feb 2004 8   

12     Gary       06 Feb 2004 0   

13     The Red Menace     my dacha 06 Feb 2004 1   

14     Aftab     Green Bay, WI 07 Feb 2004 3   

15     J.A.W.     Groningen, Netherlands, EU 07 Feb 2004 0   

16     Indestructible!       07 Feb 2004 2   

17     deus62     Germany 07 Feb 2004 0   

18     TomatObluenote       07 Feb 2004 1   

19     BeBop     Earth 07 Feb 2004 1   

20     GA Russell     North Carolina 07 Feb 2004 0   

21     Out2Lunch       07 Feb 2004 1   

22     aric       07 Feb 2004 2   

23     wulfman     Ottawa 07 Feb 2004 0   

A hopeless case, Doc, unless perhaps your notable powers of persuasion can be brought to bear on this neurotic crew of wiseacres...

A rootless band of gypsies with no allegiance to anyone or anything except their beloved cd-selling master, Mr. Tanno!!! It's good to see zat zee Red Menace fellow has moved in over there faster than General Clark's poll numbers can evaporate...and vill enforce some much needed discipline!

A rootless band of gypsies with no allegiance to anyone or anything except their beloved cd-selling master, Mr. Tanno!!!  It's good to see zat zee Red Menace fellow has moved in over there faster than General Clark's poll numbers can evaporate...and vill enforce some much needed discipline!

Kind of reminds you of Eastern Europe in 1945, eh? You have to watch those damn Rooskies--they move fast when there's new territory to appropriate. Maybe "Ben" can hire him to carry out some good old-fashioned Stalinist purges if things get out of hand... :P B)

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm not checking out any other boards. Happy here, thank you!

Certainly don't want anything to do with anything Blue Note establishes. It wouldn't be fun anymore. I think there would be some heavy monitoring. Why else would they have shut down the board?

Edited by connoisseur series500

To bad you're not smart enough to know that you have no business judging people because of what they like or dislike.

Chill out, man. Btw, I was a frequent poster on the BNBB and have tons of classic BN CDs, which I love. Actually, many of my all-time favorite jazz discs are BN releases from the 50's and 60's.

Be that as it may, I'm aware that discussion, while covering a broad range of jazz and non-jazz topics, was often skewed at the BNBB (understandable given the host). I'm further aware that there are indeed uncritical BN fanatics whom I would justly label "fanboys" (as distinct from "fans"). There are people who'd buy a turd if it said "Blue Note" on the side. They're entitled to do that and I'm entitled to think that's silly. To each his own. But as I said, I for one am glad that my jazz horizons were indirectly broadened by the death of that board and my subsequent move to other forums where the discussion is wider, or at least more likely to provoke me into exploring new musical avenues.

As noted, I was also extremely disappointed in the way BN handled/didn't handle the demise of their board. They basically told us all to go take a flying leap. I resent that.

Edited by Muskrat Ramble

I like this room and I like the people in this room.

Personally, I see no need to move the conversation to another room.

HERE we work for ourselves. THERE we work for Blue Note and we'll be expected to abide by their rules.

I have no desire to provide content for Blue Note.

Edited by Chaney

There are people who'd buy a turd if it said "Blue Note" on the side.

Which reminds me, I heard a rumor that Blue Note was starting a new reissue series called "Serious Shit" that would offer remastered sonic upgrades on all the real stinkers in their catalog...don't buy them now; wait for the remastering!! ;)