Todays Be/Hardbop Trumpeters

mrjazzman

I've been in the boonies too long to hear a lot of people, but at his best Randy Sandke is the best trumpeter I ever played with (hear him on the two tunes we did on Jews in Hell); Ira Sullivan, btw, is the greatest post bop trumpeter I ever saw, though I only saw him once and he was brilliant.

Personally, I like Terrance Blanchard the best of the lot mentioned above, Roy Hargrove second best, but in Hargrove's case the live performances I've heard are better than his recordings (Earfood and Nothing Serious are his best).

Josh Evans is a promising youngster (he's on the Tyler Michell and Dezron Douglas Live at Smalls releases--both recordings are quite good).

Also, Ambrose Akinmusire.

agree

Corey Wilkes, when he plays inside.

IDK, every video I've pulled up of him he plays pretty inside within the mainstream tradition. If you can suggest something more outside, that'd be wonderful. He's a strong player from the vids I watched.

Check out Corey with Roscoe Mitchell. He's also played with the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

What's James Zollar up to these days? Always struck me as a player who really understood -- and loved -- the complete history of his instrument.

The two Rites Quartet albums with Marty Ehrlich, Things Have Got to Change (2009) and Frog Leg Logic (2011), feature excellent playing from Zollar.

Jeremy Pelt was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd never heard him before but picked up The Talented Mr Pelt from a bargain bin today on a whim. Really enjoyable unashamedly straight ahead type stuff. Might even end up getting another album from this quintet (features JD Allen and Gerald Cleaver, among others).

Edited by xybert

What's James Zollar up to these days? Always struck me as a player who really understood -- and loved -- the complete history of his instrument.

The two Rites Quartet albums with Marty Ehrlich, Things Have Got to Change (2009) and Frog Leg Logic (2011), feature excellent playing from Zollar.

Jeremy Pelt was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd never heard him before but picked up The Talented Mr Pelt from a bargain bin today on a whim. Really enjoyable unashamedly straight ahead type stuff. Might even end up getting another album from this quintet (features JD Allen and Gerald Cleaver, among others).

Ah yes; I'd forgotten about those Ehrlich dates. They are both quite fine.

And Pelt can play.

Ah yes; I'd forgotten about those Ehrlich dates. They are both quite fine.

Yeah, I thought Zollar was the best part of those dates. Saw the band live once and wasn't feeling it. Oh well, shit happens.

Corey Wilkes, when he plays inside.

IDK, every video I've pulled up of him he plays pretty inside within the mainstream tradition. If you can suggest something more outside, that'd be wonderful. He's a strong player from the vids I watched.

Check out Corey with Roscoe Mitchell. He's also played with the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Thanks.