Blindfold Test Length

Dan Gould

What's your preference?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some have noted that two disc tests require more listening time plus it may be difficult to follow the discussion of so many different tunes. We've now had two two-disc tests plus we're trying to come up with an FAQ for newbies, so why not come to some sort of board consensus on the issue, or at least have the discussion?

Y'all probably no opinion on this; I think there should be a limit. To say that compilers should take listeners into account is desirable but very open ended. I'm not sure how that would be done. Also, this poll will only be meaningful, I believe, if we only get around 30 or so total votes.

Since a participant is not forced to come up with comments on every track, I don't think it's necessary to set a limit

I agree with this. Although it has been a little trickier to follow the discussions of 2-CD tests, I'm getting used to it, and it really didn't bother me that much to begin with. The more music, the better my chances of being introduced to something good.

Since a participant is not forced to come up with comments on every track, I don't think it's necessary to set a limit

I agree with this. Although it has been a little trickier to follow the discussions of 2-CD tests, I'm getting used to it, and it really didn't bother me that much to begin with. The more music, the better my chances of being introduced to something good.

True. More free tunes is better than less free tunes. The discussion has its own value though and I certainly find that easier to follow when one disk is involved.

Again: no limits AFAIC. I prefer single disk compilations though, which must mean I value the discussion more than the chance to be scared out of more money... :g

I wrote the FAQ as a guideline. There are no rules really (it's almost like jazz).

I most certainly do not expect anyone to produce more than one disc, but I think two should be allowed if this gives the test master the chance to get his ideas across. I myself plan to compile two dics, with two or three themes intertwined and programmed like a voyage through musical territory, but a single disc with just some music the compiler digs or thinks is overlooked is just as fine with me. Any way to compile the disc is welcome! The opportunity to discuss some music with our fellow boarders is invaluable.

Freedom rules, although I believe more than two discs would be simply too much to attentively listen to in the time span usually available for one test, i.e. to stay up to date with the discussion.

Though I think I prefer one disc, which eases discussion, I'd vote for no limits. I think it's important, though, for the compiler to realize the extra time it takes to listen and absorb two discs rather than one and I think we might need some extra time between tests in those cases. We also have to take this on a case-by-case basis. I think one disc with, say, 15 or so short tracks is great, but a 30-track "double" is pushing it. If a compiler is into, for example, more modern or a-g stuff that usually have longer running times, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2-disc BFT that had fewer numer of tracks. Does that make sense? (I haven't had my coffee yet.)

I'm really only posting so that I can be a Supa Groover!

I've always thought the more the merrier as far a getting tunes to dig into. But I wholeheartily agree with Ray. It could be very easy to get a double time going with several tracks that weigh out at 10 - 17 minutes in length like Randy's test.

Being on the other end and only being able to burn at 4X on my Mac I can attest to the fact that making up eighty discs versus forty could be quite a task!!

This may have been mentioned previously but the main plus across the board for a singular session might be that the turnaround of participants would come a bit quicker. People are already disgruntled that they won't be making a BFT until after we find Osama. <_<

• 2 months later...

I wanted to bump this to see if there are any more thoughts on a 1-disc or 2-disc test. After vowing (to myself at least) to stick with a single disc, I'm now faced with compiling a BFT of my own and now I'm finding I have too much stuff to include on a single disc. I'm also afraid that my "ambitions" will alienate some listeners. I'm really looking forward to this, and considering the next open BFT spot is somewhere around 2008, I want to go "all out," but I understand that it's a lot more work not just for the compiler (burning, mailing, etc) but for the listener as well. So now's the time to pipe in with any further thoughts. I may or may not listen to any advice, but what the hey... ;)

I think it should be entirely up to the person burning the discs and paying for the postage.

I'm not going to complain if someone does me a favor and has a two disc compilation. :D

It's not like we're graded on these things and have to find the answers for every track. This is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

:rsmile:

couw is in favour of one disk sets. I didn't even manage to comment on Jim (he changed his name now)'s second disk. Make it stick anyways you wish. Make it two if you need two. Make them entirely different if you need the aspect of two aspects. Add another if your third personality hicoughs too violently.

Make it one if you can, make it two if you need, wish, or want. You're the BFT master. It's your call really. It should be obvious though that there are limits (no one will be able or even wanting to comment on a 20 disk set) and that size does matter. The longer the BFT, the less detailed the comments, I have observed.

I think that Jim Dye settled on a good solution. Do a one disc "official" comp. and offer a second disc of music to whoever wants it. Everyone asked for it anyway, but I don't think it was too bad an approach.

In fact, I'm leaning towards a one disc theme and a second disc of the tunes I want to include but don't "fit".

I think that Jim Dye settled on a good solution. Do a one disc "official" comp. and offer a second disc of music to whoever wants it. Everyone asked for it anyway, but I don't think it was too bad an approach.

In fact, I'm leaning towards a one disc theme and a second disc of the tunes I want to include but don't "fit".

I think that's a great idea. :tup

• 2 weeks later...

As a mere "member", I started out reading this thread with a fixed view. Then I went this way, that way, the other way - you guys come up with some cogent arguments. Now I just say "anything goes!" The less rules the better.

Edited by tooter

I voted for no limits but I have difficulties compiling comments to even single CDs. I feel that in order to make a decent comment I need to sit down and focus solely on the CD. I, like many others, find that hard to do with even one CD.

I'd say, not everybody has to comment on every tune - noone here can say as much about every tune. Just comment on those that prick up your ears.

And, as with the Albums of the week, it is possible to comment even months after the "official" running time of the test has ended.

And, as with the Albums of the week, it is possible to comment even months after the "official" running time of the test has ended.

Speaking of which... did you ever pick up that Harry Allen (Brazilian) CD? Hmm... maybe I shouldn't bring that up again. ;)

Speaking of which... did you ever pick up that Harry Allen (Brazilian) CD? Hmm... maybe I shouldn't bring that up again. ;)

I tried, but it seems it is OOP and one source that wanted to import from the US cancelled after a few months.

I'd still like to hear it, if only for the drummer ... ;)

• 1 year later...

I stick to my original no limits vote - because I think two dics will be sufficient to get one's theme together.

I had a look at the test master list - if I'm correct, we had 16 single disc tests out of 25 (Rooster's included), but 8 of the double disc tests were # 13 or later - JSngry's was the only two disc BFT before EKE BBB's (#13). So much for statistics.

To suggest a compromise, I would suggest the second disc is a true bonus, that need not be discussed by everybody. I plan my next BFT that way, especially as the second disc will expand the first disc's theme onto wider musical territories beyond jazz.