songs i can't stand

I wouldn't put it quite so strongly but you are right. As Time Goes By is a rather clumsy piece. But it suits the overrated bore-fest Casablanca perfectly!

We've had a thread like this before, though. I remember posting my four bete noirs:

Summertime

Darn That Dream

Old Folks

Willow Weep For Me

I still haven't heard a reason why jazz musicians persist in playing these depressing tunes.

I like Darn That Dream and Old Folks! Dexter Gordon's "Willow" on the "Our Man In Paris" still does it for me too. :w

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always disliked 'The Sidewinder', never been able to get past it and get in to what is by many accounts a classic album. Also used to hate all the Sidewinder-esque tracks i encountered on other Blue Note albums of the time... have somewhat gotten over that but i still cringe right from the opening notes of The Sidewinder.

"As Time Goes By" is simply awful. Forget about "Casablanca" and just listen to this turkey: Clumsy and corny lyrics, trite and repetitive melodic phrases, chord progressions that occasionally sound like they're going someplace interesting but then suddenly stall.

How famous was this song prior to the film? Did the film revive it? I'll bet the farm that, were it not for "Casablanca," this song would have sunk into obscurity. And good riddance.

Billie singing it sounds just fine to me.

Mack The Knife - can't stand it. Stupid words, corny tune, short phrases which seem to make it a magnet for shitty singers.

The original singer of the song, Kurt Gerron, may or may not change your mind:

(spoken intro comes first)

Original words (in a partial, literal translation) aren't stupid:

And the shark, he has teeth

And he wears them in his face

And MacHeath, he has a knife

But the knife you don't see

On a beautiful blue Sunday

Lies a dead man on the Strand*

And a man goes around the corner

Whom they call Mack the Knife

And Schmul Meier is missing

And many a rich man

And his money has Mack the Knife,

On whom they can't pin anything.

Jenny Towler was found

With a knife in her chest

And on the wharf walks Mack the Knife,

Who knows nothing about all this.

And the minor-aged widow,

Whose name everyone knows,

Woke up and was violated

Mack, what was your price?

And some are in the darkness

And the others in the light

But you only see those in the light

Those in the darkness you don't see

This thread is kinda depressting ... though I do agree on the stiffness of "As Time Goes By" (that stiffness btw. is shared with the female lead in the film, that hip-stiff clean-cut boring auntie) ... just compare Lauren and Hoagy doing "Am I Blue" if you want proof. Ever been bit by a dead bee?

Behind a paywall so not sure if you can see it - I love this song so molto molto off topic - and only ten seconds here (can't find the whole thing)... Russian Red Army choir doing Skyfall!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3850987.ece

OK I of all people should know it is not the RED Army any more which is why I didn't find it on youtube :blush: - I posted a link to the whole thing in the What Are you Listening To thread

Blues in the Night

Wow. One of Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer's very best, which is saying something.

Certainly, a well-crafted and catchy tune, but it also has a very corny feel to it that I can't get passed.

A House is Not a Home

?!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F4wutgqYLQ

There have been some great performances of this tune, but I still don't like the song itself. In particular, the lyrics bug me. "A house is not a home" is an OK hook, but "a chair is still a chair even when there is no one sitting there, but a chair is not a house and a house is not a home...." gets to be a bit too much for me.

Edited by John L

I agree. Somehow I just can't identify with a singer getting emotionally overwrought over the revelation that a chair is not a house.

Although it's a sloppier lyric, Elvis Costello's variation on the "empty house/home" theme with Bacharach is much more effective: