The Duke Pearson Big Band: Baltimore 1969

mjzee

I was at the delivery suite when this topic was posted, hence the delay. :) This is of course great news! I remember feeling slightly sad when I had gotten all known sessions by Pearson, and didn't expect there would turn up more.

I'm espescially happy both his arrangements of Chick Corea tunes are on this recording.

Congratulations Daniel!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcello,

I clicked on the link, but I don't see where it says specifically that these were taken at Left Bank. Is this something you know from another source, or are you only speculating that some of these or all of these are from Left Bank?

I was too young to attend the Left Bank shows in the 60s and 70s, and even in the 80s-90s I never went. I almost went to see Hubbard but he cancelled :(.

I can forward this site to the people I know and also the older members of the DC Jazz scene.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, the photographer, Alan Jackman, tells me that those photos were taken mostly at various Left Bank appearances. I helped him identify some others that he has like Chick Corea and Ramon Morris. I'm sure that Alan would appreciate any help.

There are others here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackman_on_jazz/sets/72157624068924367/

Ok, the mutton-chopped tenor player that everybody was thinking was Joe Farrell, that's Lew Tabackin, right?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ive seen this Duke Pearson c.d posted many places on the net.Guess I will have to order it myself.From reviews iverread,must be exciting.I have some reel to reels of Duke Pearson.That I have saved,preserved and cherished fortthe last 34 years.Only problem,is that,I don't know what's on them.Could be a whole session of him.Or other Blue Note artist during his tenure there.Whatever it is.I hope to complete the Duke Pearson Exhibit and share with the world what I have.We was to have a showing this month.But decided to reschedule at another time and date.If any of you would like to know more.Find us on Facebook.(The Duke Pearson Group) and become a memberGreatfully helping to keep his legacy alive.Gerald Ford/Nephew of the late Duke Pearson.

Ive seen this Duke Pearson c.d posted many places on the net.Guess I will have to order it myself.From reviews iverread,must be exciting.I have some reel to reels of Duke Pearson.That I have saved,preserved and cherished fortthe last 34 years.Only problem,is that,I don't know what's on them.Could be a whole session of him.Or other Blue Note artist during his tenure there.Whatever it is.I hope to complete the Duke Pearson Exhibit and share with the world what I have.We was to have a showing this month.But decided to reschedule at another time and date.If any of you would like to know more.Find us on Facebook.(The Duke Pearson Group) and become a memberGreatfully helping to keep his legacy alive.Gerald Ford/Nephew of the late Duke Pearson.

Gerald

many thanks for your post - I've joined your DP Facebook group

Those tapes sound like an Aladdin's cave - could we have unreleased Blue Note material within the reels?

That recent disc of Duke's Big Band is definitely worth a listen

• 3 weeks later...

Gerald (Duke's nephew) has just posted this on his Facebook page

I asked him how he was progressing with his "lost tapes"

"Still researching them.Some are outakes and spoken words in the studio.Might have stumbled upon a treasuretrove of some mighty hip grooves.Anyone out there with,a 8 mm reel to reel !"