The Duke Pearson Big Band: Baltimore 1969

mjzee

Marcello,

I clicked on the link, but I don't see where it says specifically that these were taken at Left Bank. Is this something you know from another source, or are you only speculating that some of these or all of these are from Left Bank?

I was too young to attend the Left Bank shows in the 60s and 70s, and even in the 80s-90s I never went. I almost went to see Hubbard but he cancelled :(.

I can forward this site to the people I know and also the older members of the DC Jazz scene.

Bertrand.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago I asked Hal Galper if he remembered the October 1966 concert at Left Bank w/Sam Rivers and the "New Jazz Conception" group (Galper, Herbie Lewis, Steve Ellington). He remembered the gig but when I ased him if a tape exists he said, "I hope not! I hated that gig. It was a TERRIBLE piano. Everybody else could have fun and I had to suffer."

It's was 44 years after the gig and what he remembered most was how awful the piano was.

Edited by Mark Stryker

The possibility that Uptown has gotten in its hands on other Left Bank tapes is almost more exciting than this particular release, which I will definitely snatch very soon. I remember when Joel Dorn was supposed to have some group of Left Bank tapes ... and then he died and no one knew what happened to them or if he really had them or not. Too bad Sunneblick seems to play things pretty close to the vest, we may just have to wait and wonder.

Dorn released a lot of Left Bank stuff on 32jazz. Overall, I found it very disappointing. I long for a CD release of Gary Bartz's "Home" on Milestone. That was a hot Left Bank recording.

The possibility that Uptown has gotten in its hands on other Left Bank tapes is almost more exciting than this particular release, which I will definitely snatch very soon. I remember when Joel Dorn was supposed to have some group of Left Bank tapes ... and then he died and no one knew what happened to them or if he really had them or not. Too bad Sunneblick seems to play things pretty close to the vest, we may just have to wait and wonder.

Dorn released a lot of Left Bank stuff on 32jazz. Overall, I found it very disappointing. I long for a CD release of Gary Bartz's "Home" on Milestone. That was a hot Left Bank recording.

True but no unreleased Hank or Lee or any of the other shows that are listed in the annals that get everybody excited.

Marcello,

I clicked on the link, but I don't see where it says specifically that these were taken at Left Bank. Is this something you know from another source, or are you only speculating that some of these or all of these are from Left Bank?

I was too young to attend the Left Bank shows in the 60s and 70s, and even in the 80s-90s I never went. I almost went to see Hubbard but he cancelled :(.

I can forward this site to the people I know and also the older members of the DC Jazz scene.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, the photographer, Alan Jackman, tells me that those photos were taken mostly at various Left Bank appearances. I helped him identify some others that he has like Chick Corea and Ramon Morris. I'm sure that Alan would appreciate any help.

There are others here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackman_on_jazz/sets/72157624068924367/

True but no unreleased Hank or Lee or any of the other shows that are listed in the annals that get everybody excited.

I actually enjoy those that Dorn released. Wish there had been more. . .wish we still had Joel to kick around.

Edited by jazzbo

I had a long talk with Bob Sunenblick today. It turns out he had a serious health scare a while back which is why he was out of touch. But he is recovered now so that's great news.

Yes, he does have more releases in store so that is very good news. Concerning the sound quality, he found a sound engineer who really did an amazing job despite some oddities in the original tapes. A lot of these things can be corrected.

My personal feeling is that, although the Left Bank shows were not recorded under optimal conditions, the quality of the final output is really dependent on the efforts of the engineer. My two cents is that the Jackie McLeans on Steeplechase are really poor, but the Dexter Gordons on Fantasy are quite good. The Dorns are in the middle.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Amazon.com lists release date as Sept. 17; Amazon.ca says Nov. 19; cduniverse says Nov. 19. Strange discrepancy.

And the Uptown website is no help at all. They don't even have the Lester Young Boston 1950 CD posted there yet!

I must take all this back. Checked the Uptown website today. Completely updated with the Pearson CD apparently available right now.

I ordered one.

http://www.uptownrecords.net/home/

I was at the delivery suite when this topic was posted, hence the delay. :) This is of course great news! I remember feeling slightly sad when I had gotten all known sessions by Pearson, and didn't expect there would turn up more.

I'm espescially happy both his arrangements of Chick Corea tunes are on this recording.

This is a bummer from Lew Tabackin's Facebook timeline:

"Can you say bootleg? I guess musicians don't have to be paid, and just be thankful to have their career boosted. At least ask permission. LT"

http://www.uptownrecords.net/home/store/94.html

Apparently, Lew doesn't believe that this should be released?

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine earlier this week. First impression was that the trip down must have gotten everybody wired or something, because DAMN are the solos notey!

Nut the it settled in, and I realized that a lot of that was due to not hearing the bass very well while everybody else was tearing it up. So there's lot of energy on the top end, and the corresponding energy on the bottom end is not equally audible.

But hell, the mind adjusts, and by the third time through the album I had it.

Don't think this album is a "revelation" or anything, it's not recorded well enough for that, but I did find it a welcome addition to my Duke Pearson & 1960s Big Band collections. Also, the fact that there are a couple of previously unheard (by most of us, anyway) DP charts is a very nice present.

Got mine earlier this week. First impression was that the trip down must have gotten everybody wired or something, because DAMN are the solos notey!

Nut the it settled in, and I realized that a lot of that was due to not hearing the bass very well while everybody else was tearing it up. So there's lot of energy on the top end, and the corresponding energy on the bottom end is not equally audible.

But hell, the mind adjusts, and by the third time through the album I had it.

Don't think this album is a "revelation" or anything, it's not recorded well enough for that, but I did find it a welcome addition to my Duke Pearson & 1960s Big Band collections. Also, the fact that there are a couple of previously unheard (by most of us, anyway) DP charts is a very nice present.

Agree. My first impression is that the solos are very long, as if Pearson was giving everyone lots of space to keep them happy. I would have preferred to hear a bit of more of Duke's arranging, or perhaps a bit better balance between ensemble playing and solos. Mickey Roker is very a busy drummer and this wouldn't be a issue at all if the ensemble were a just bit stronger in the mix.

But overall, it's still pretty good and definitely worth hearing. There's some solid big band music here.