Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone who has the new Poppin' and Hank w/Sonny SHMs tell me if they use the TOCJ covers, the LP covers, or both? I read that Oblique has the old and new covers - is it 2 booklets/inserts or one on each side of the booklet? Thanks :)

i'm guessing that the series will replicate the artwork from the original king release as well as the north american, if applicable, on the booklet exterior. or not. is that how 'oblique' is - the king color cover on the boklet front with the rvg on the booklet back? what are the other six you snagged?

i normally love all the king covers, but 'my conception' is just plain ugly - and i still haven't convined myself i need/want it.

Yes, as I mentioned above, that's how it is.

I snagged:

Blue John

Memphis to New York Spirit

Boogaloo

Matador

Oleo

First Session

Have only listened to three total so far. Busy life.

Still waiting for

Gooden's Corner

Born to be Blue

Far Away Lands

My order arrived today:

Big John Patton "Blue John"

Jackie McLean "tippin the scales"

Sonny Clark "My conception"

Grant Green "first session"

Tina Brooks "the waiting game"

Tina Brooks "back to the tracks"

Hank Mobley quintet "featuring Sonny Clark"

Lots of listening to do! I was tempted to buy more but restricted myself to sessions I didn't own yet rather then succumb to the temptation to buy another version of a session I already have.

I have been pretty pleased with the sound of older titles in this SHM series...and for roughly $15 us each it's not that bad a deal for a Japanese import.

One last thing - glad to see the actual cover used for the "tippin the scales" CD is the same as the Japanese King LP! Ugh that USA lp cover is ugly, and thankfully it is reproduced on the inside rather then on the front :)

Ordered "Born To Be Blue", contemplating "Jubilee Shout", while trying to figure out the featured Bonus Tracks.....

According to Dusty Groove, the bonus tracks are alternate takes of Jubilee Shout, My Ship and Brother Tom. Note that the last 2 are also on the Mosaic.

You're going to like "Born to be Blue," it sounds fabulous. As do the other Greens in this batch, I've listened to them all, "Matador" really stands out as killer sounding to my ears on my system.

thnx for the thumbs up btw hint reg. "matador".......will reconsider ^_^

Ordered "Born To Be Blue", contemplating "Jubilee Shout", while trying to figure out the featured Bonus Tracks.....

According to Dusty Groove, the bonus tracks are alternate takes of Jubilee Shout, My Ship and Brother Tom. Note that the last 2 are also on the Mosaic.

thnx for feedback and clarification....

Edited by soulpope

but that cover....it's a thing of, shall we say, anti-beauty. i could easily pass it when it was just another domestic issue, but now as an shm there's no denying it.

Grant+Green+-+Born+To+Be+Blue+-+LP+RECOR

maybe this review put me off;

"Ike Quebec is the problem with Grant Green's "Born To Be Blue." He's way too laid back. A sax player with more energy might have elevated this beyond the doldrums, but as it is, they're just phoning it in. Grant Green deserves 2 Stars for showing up, but with so many great sets in his discography, you're safe bypassing this."

now that i think about it, these two reviews highlight selling points;

"This one was a little too subdued for my tastes. I didn't like Idle Moments or Street of Dreams either. And I'm really not into Ballads. So I guess if you like the slow stuff, you might like this one too. Otherwise, you might be a bit disappointed."

""Born to Be Blue" and "Cool Blues" are the standouts. Overall a very good, if somewhat subdued, recording."