Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

I have Song For My Father on SHM. What's that about a wrinkly wobble?

.... something else to worry about :D

Like the squeaky Art Taylor drumkit I forgot I'd read about prior to ordering the XRCD24 of Lee Morgan's Candy?

Cool.

Should we start a betting pool to see if Song for my Father has that wrinkly wobble at the beginning?

Well, I can't really hear it during the first thirty seconds. It would help if someone could tell me at what time it's supposed to occur.

I also have the HD Tracks download and can't really discern it there either. Both originate from the new Bernie Grundman transfer, so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Edited by erwbol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, apparetnly this was fixed for the previous audiophile release. And apparently the fix is also on this new SHM-CD. Cool.

Ah, yes. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:"After hearing the results, Michael Cuscuna wrote me to say: “ A major improvement! I think you have it where it needs to be.” To have Michael’s approval on this just means the world to us. Of course, we had also agreed that EMI gets to use this for all future releases of this title. Has all of this work resulted in perfection? No. Is the first track much better than it was? Yes! No, instead of instantly getting hit in the ears with those first two (instantly identifiable) notes swimming in a sea of warble, most will just start easing into a groove that lasts for the remainder of this incredible album."

There's also mention in the thread of the piano solo being affected. I'll give the first track another spin now.

Got in seven of the new titles from Japan this morning. Four more are in the mail (slower rate). Listening to Hutcherson's "Oblique" right now, and boy does it sound nice. Interestingly you get both the original lp cover and the new cover made for the US RVG release. Nice touch!

Got in seven of the new titles from Japan this morning. Four more are in the mail (slower rate). Listening to Hutcherson's "Oblique" right now, and boy does it sound nice. Interestingly you get both the original lp cover and the new cover made for the US RVG release. Nice touch!

I was a bit disappointed by Oblique when I got it in the RVG livery several years ago. Not listened to it in a long time but everything in the end falls short of Dialogue.

Not for me. Oblique is my favorite Hutcherson I think. . .

Me too. I think I've claimed Oblique as my favorite Hutcherson date for almost 20 years. I have the US CD that predates the RVG, i.e. with the Japanese cover (which I like a lot more than the RVG cover).

Certainly one of the very best pairings of Bobby and Herbie.

In case you also ordered/got Tina Brooks "Back To The Tracks", could you pls comment on the Bonus Tracks ??

Edited by soulpope

In case you also ordered/got Tina Brooks "Back To The Tracks", could you pls comment on the Bonus Tracks ??

I didn't order that one either, bought that one too many times! Recent XRCD is excellent.

I didn't order that one either, bought that one too many times! Recent XRCD is excellent.

thnx for the feedback - have the XRCD too and was just curious about the bonus tracks - first findings were not too enlightening ......

Not for me. Oblique is my favorite Hutcherson I think. . .

Me too. I think I've claimed Oblique as my favorite Hutcherson date for almost 20 years. I have the US CD that predates the RVG, i.e. with the Japanese cover (which I like a lot more than the RVG cover).

Certainly one of the very best pairings of Bobby and Herbie. Listened to this all the way through for the first time in probably several. It's much better than I remembered, sound on the RVG is somewhat cloudy which lessens the clarity of what's going on. Some great tunes. I recant, apologies to Bobby.

Edited by Clunky

Happenings is also my favorite Hutcherson! I have the RVG, the SHM, and the HDTracks 96 kHZ download. The SHM is my favorite, though I imagine some might prefer the HDTracks as it is more "flat." Both are better than the RVG, which I also feel is "cloudy" in comparison.

That's what I hate about jazz; you have to keep on buying different editions of the same album over and over again! :(

I love both "oblique" and "happenings" - I also think "dialogue" is amazing too but altogether a different animal..definitely more in the "free" idiom.

So do I really need the SHMs of "oblique" and "happenings"? I have a NY stereo original LP of "happenings" and the RVG cd of "oblique".

The SHM-CD versions of these two are very nice imo. But you don't need them, really. But that doesn't seem to stop us. . . .

I do it of favorites or albums that sound bad first time around. I guess my hearing warrants it, my equipment certainly seems to. But I know it's foolish really.

Edited by jazzbo

That's what I hate about jazz; you have to keep on buying different editions of the same album over and over again! :(

You really don't. I treat these releases as an opportunity to buy on CD the stuff that was never released as an RVG. Sound quality is only of relatively minor importance to me. I never upgrade just to get a better sound. I have a huge collection and I don't think I've ever bought even a single CD that I already owned, unless it was by mistake.

i'm right behind you on 'matador'. now's the time i need to sort out the sonny clark titles as well. i have 'quintets', 'the 45 sessions' and 'blues in the night' but always stayed away from the north american issue of 'my conception'. it seems this reissue of the 'original' is lacking some titles by comparison, right....?