David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have to confess to not having followed the rollout of the SHM Cd's (or this thread) in real-time as it happened. Didn't even buy any until I suddenly noticed the most recent Larry Young, Sam Rivers, and John Patton titles on The Bastards' website ("holy crap, Contrasts??!!!").

So, my question is -- were these new SHM titles coming out on any kind of perceivable schedule, like in batches in regular intervals? When was the last batch? Is there any reason to think there might be more coming? What's the lowdown on this series, as an active program?

So, I have to confess to not having followed the rollout of the SHM Cd's (or this thread) in real-time as it happened. Didn't even buy any until I suddenly noticed the most recent Larry Young, Sam Rivers, and John Patton titles on The Bastards' website ("holy crap, Contrasts??!!!").

So, my question is -- were these new SHM titles coming out on any kind of perceivable schedule, like in batches in regular intervals? When was the last batch? Is there any reason to think there might be more coming? What's the lowdown on this series, as an active program?

:rfr

Thanks!! I pretty much view the board exclusively on my iPhone these days (laptop died at home, and I shouldn't be on the board at work -- the internet connection here is pretty slow). My memory of the "big list" you'd linked to (buried deep in the thread) was that it was just a big list (didn't realize it had release dates). The mobile-version of the forum software doesn't have any way to jump to specific pages within a thread (or, as best as I can tell, a way to just to be very beginning of the thread without going back page, by page, by page). But thanks!

Thanks!! I pretty much view the board exclusively on my iPhone these days (laptop died at home, and I shouldn't be on the board at work -- the internet connection here is pretty slow). My memory of the "big list" you'd linked to (buried deep in the thread) was that it was just a big list (didn't realize it had release dates). The mobile-version of the forum software doesn't have any way to jump to specific pages within a thread (or, as best as I can tell, a way to just to be very beginning of the thread without going back page, by page, by page). But thanks!

OK, I don't have a mobile phone, so I didn't realise.

i had a long reply typed out and a connectivity issued wiped it out.... :angry:

for the time being, i believe these two installments are all we have. it's universal's first foray into the blue note catalog so i would imagine that they're in consensus gathering mode about how to proceed, if at all.

the past few years have been a somewhat modern-day golden era in reissues. in respose to a soft market, labels have increased availability of back catalog and simultaneously slashed prices approximately in half. i think it'll be interesting to see if this business model is maintained.

a high flying friend once intoduced me to label staff at jvc and sony. i made a point to ask each how important foreign/non-japanese sales were for each release or campaign. while they each agreed that foreign sales were 'important', each estimated them to represent no more than 5%.

just a note that i'm giving good time to the elivin jones titles in this series tonight. earlier was 'genesis' and now 'poly-currents' is playing. these titles sound superb...

confessing this was not on my radar until now....but liebman+farrell+foster.. this is gene perla on acoustic bass, right ?.....feel inclined to give "genesis" a try :w

Edited by soulpope

confessing this was not on my radar until now....but liebman+farrell+foster.. this is gene perla on acoustic bass, right ?.....feel inclined to give "genesis" a try :w

that's right. but be warned: once you hear one...

I sure wish the Elvin date with Lee Morgan had come out as a single. It's my favorite out of the entire Elvin Mosaic.

'the prime element'...?

that's right. but be warned: once you hear one...

@ etherbored : as just having pressed the "order" button, I can`t guarantee your disclaimer being sufficient and prevent liabilities in case collector`s madness takes over with me :D:D

the consensus has been reached. the next installment in this series drops on june 25th. have a look, but i see precious little material not previously issued;

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/keyword_Uccq5/target_SEARCH/type_sr/

Thanks for posting the link. It looks like all titles that weren't released when originally recorded; interesting theme. I've wanted Z.T.'s Blues for awhile now, so I'll be getting that.

Thanks for the link. A lot of titles that people will go for - Blue John, The Rajah, Tippin' the Scales, Far Away Lands...

I'd be interested in Tippin the Scales as version I've got could be bettered I'd imagine.

Edited by Clunky

Matador remaster on SHM. :D

yep! that one caught my eye. as did "k.b. blues", and "two bones".

the material on sonny clark's "blues in the night" been issued (on an sbm?) under the title "standards" in north america, right? that may be a nice upgrade. wonder which artwork they'll choose...

20110720111455e2d.jpg

Matador remaster on SHM. :D

yep! that one caught my eye. as did "k.b. blues", and "two bones".

the material on sonny clark's "blues in the night" been issued (on an sbm?) under the title "standards" in north america, right? that may be a nice upgrade. wonder which artwork they'll choose...

20110720111455e2d.jpg

That's a good question. I'd prefer the previous cd version cover be released (the one with Clark).

I only remember Poppin' as a TOCJ cd and a part of the Mobley Mosaic. . . I may be wrong, but I don't remember a US cd release. Two Bones was only available in the US as part of the Fuller Mosaic. I'm not positive Sonny Clark Quintet has been available on cd at all in the US, nor has Hank Mobley Quintet been on cd in the US outside the Mobley Mosaic I believe. Jubilee Shout has only been on cd in the US on the Turrentine Mosaic I believe. I hope I'm wrong on these counts.

I'm in for Oblique because I love that session so much. Wish they had included Inner Glow.

Edited by jazzbo