Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

I hope the Ike Quebec - Easy Living has the three extra quartet tracks. The rest is on the Bennie Green Mosaic Select.

What is on Sonny Clark Quintets? At first, I thought it was the material on "My Conception," but I see that title is also being released.

Edited by mjzee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sonny Clark Quintets = the bonus cuts from My Conception & Cool Struttin'. The latter cuts were also released by BN Japan along with the original album as The Complete Cool Struttin' Session, but in America...not sure.

They're probably going to release My Conception in its original form.

Just curious - Tina Brook`s "Back to the tracks" was previously never released as SHM-CD, right ?

It was released on XRCD24 in January. Link The XRCD24 is probably the one to get and there's not much of a difference in price.

thnx - was aware of the XRCD but distantly remembered there was a japanese CD release in 2009 (??) :unsure: .........

just curious (even more now), what`s the economically most viable source reg XRCD`s for european buyers - even if using the most attractive amazon.uk plattform dealer`s pricing this comes up incl postage for euro 26 and via amazon.de euro 28...directly @amazon.de the price ist 38 (!!!) euro :wacko: .......

Edited by soulpope

Just curious - Tina Brook`s "Back to the tracks" was previously never released as SHM-CD, right ?

It was released on XRCD24 in January. Link The XRCD24 is probably the one to get and there's not much of a difference in price.

thnx - was aware of the XRCD but distantly remembered there was a japanese CD release in 2009 (??) :unsure: .........

just curious (even more now), what`s the economically most viable source reg XRCD`s for european buyers - even if using the most attractive amazon.uk plattform dealer`s pricing this comes up incl postage for euro 26 and via amazon.de euro 28...directly @amazo.de the price ist 38 (!!!) euro :wacko: .......

Being in EU, by far the best way is via Importcds: approx $21 plus $3 shipping if you order lets say 4 discs.

just curious (even more now), what`s the economically most viable source reg XRCD`s for european buyers - even if using the most attractive amazon.uk plattform dealer`s pricing this comes up incl postage for euro 26 and via amazon.de euro 28...directly @amazo.de the price ist 38 (!!!) euro :wacko: .......

Being in EU, by far the best way is via Importcds: approx $21 plus $3 shipping if you order lets say 4 discs.

alexandros, thnx for your feedback :)

ImportCDs' prices fluctuate daily, so it's best to put the XRCDs and SACDs on your wish list and look for the lowest price point which is around $20-21 for XRCDs like Alexandros said. Items can be up almost $10 and then fall back again rapidly, so don't despair.

@erwbowl :

thnx also for your input.

As this is also a little bit of SHM-CD vs XRCD transfer quality topic and me eventually preferring the original cover+jewel case format version of the forthcoming japanese SHM-CD against the amended cover+larger format case of the XRCD, are there any experiences btw comparisons of the actual SHM-CD transfer quality vs the XRCD transfer quality ? To be more specific, I do have some XRCD`s and know their merits, so the question (for me) ist just wether the SHM-CD version is tranfer-/soundwise similar/comparable or not.......

And the link to importcds XRCDs by Audio Wave in question:

http://www.importcds.com/Search/Results?type=200&lbl=Audio+Wave

And the link to importcds XRCDs by Audio Wave in question:

http://www.importcds.com/Search/Results?type=200&lbl=Audio+Wave

thnx again :tup

Whoa........... "Matador" caught my attention too, and I'm one of those who don't find the McMaster too bad. I don't really feel like doubling up on "Oblique" b/c the RVG has always sounded fine to me, so maybe I'll grab "Matador" and "Blue John" for, but since that batch drops after my birthday, the Herbie Columbia box is still a priority for me.

Oleo has such a great cover, I hope they use the original!

It would be interesting to compare the Tina Brooks title in both XRCD24 and SHM-CD. I have the former and it sounds very good, though I believe the "house signature" of both masterings will make them sound significantly different. There will be a more traditional sound to the former and a more high resoltuion digital sound to the latter is my guess having listened to a number of releases in both series. My guesstimate: the XRCD24 will sound a bit more lp like in tonal balance, image density and soundstage, the SHM-CD will have a deeper soundstage and a bit more of an "edge" to the tonal balance, and a bit more distinctly perceived separation between and space about the instruments.

It would be interesting to compare the Tina Brooks title in both XRCD24 and SHM-CD. I have the former and it sounds very good, though I believe the "house signature" of both masterings will make them sound significantly different. There will be a more traditional sound to the former and a more high resoltuion digital sound to the latter is my guess having listened to a number of releases in both series. My guesstimate: the XRCD24 will sound a bit more lp like in tonal balance, image density and soundstage, the SHM-CD will have a deeper soundstage and a bit more of an "edge" to the tonal balance, and a bit more distinctly perceived separation between and space about the instruments.

@jazzbo : thnx for your input !!

I hope the Ike Quebec - Easy Living has the three extra quartet tracks. The rest is on the Bennie Green Mosaic Select.

I bought the version with the three bonus tracks for $30.99 back in November. It has since dropped in price and is now being reissued anyway. :huh: If they want to make Quebec fans really happy, they'd include the tracks from From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs that haven't seen reissue elsewhere.

For me, interest in the latest batch mainly comes down to whether there are any previously unreleased tracks included.

the consensus has been reached. the next installment in this series drops on june 25th. have a look, but i see precious little material not previously issued;

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/keyword_Uccq5/target_SEARCH/type_sr/

Thanks for posting the link. It looks like all titles that weren't released when originally recorded; interesting theme. I've wanted Z.T.'s Blues for awhile now, so I'll be getting that.

These are now available at CDJapan.

They do:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-5019

UCCQ-5019.jpg?v=1

Matador remaster on SHM. :D

yep! that one caught my eye. as did "k.b. blues", and "two bones".

the material on sonny clark's "blues in the night" been issued (on an sbm?) under the title "standards" in north america, right? that may be a nice upgrade. wonder which artwork they'll choose...

20110720111455e2d.jpg

That's a good question. I'd prefer the previous cd version cover be released (the one with Clark).

You got it:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-5011

the consensus has been reached. the next installment in this series drops on june 25th. have a look, but i see precious little material not previously issued;

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/keyword_Uccq5/target_SEARCH/type_sr/

and the cdjapan dedicated page for this new lot:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.list_id=20140417_bluenote_works3

Edited by Alexandros

I'm just waiting for them to find my secret bank account! It must be out there somewhere. . . :)

I ordered all the Grant Green. What the hell.

Prost!

Could you also wish, perhaps, Mosaic to release "The Complete Kenny Burrell Blue Note and Prestige recordings & sessions" or "The Complete Duke Ellington recordings for Pathé, Banner, Cameo Perfect, Romeo, Okeh and Columbia 1925-1931"?

Edited by Alexandros

much as i love the grant green titles, i have to draw the line. after all, they're all (save 'matador') on the complete quartets two disc set. i'm in for 'matador', 'two bones', 'tippin the scales' (that cover is awful...), and, strangely enough, 'drums around the corner'. everything else i already have.

it's a shame 'remembering grant green' isn't in this batch. it was my first ever japanese blue note some decades ago that i have a soft spot for.

3427.jpg