Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SAL has become increasingly slow and erratic to the Netherlands. I switched back to airmail a few months ago and orders once again arrive like clockwork after four or (mostly) five days (that's including the day the shipping notification was sent, and days not working days).

Happenings already sounds better on SHM compared to the RVG and BN Works, but Oblique really shines sonically on SHM. Great album and one of his best.

Ah - but does that 'Oblique' have the must-have cover blooper on it? :D

Only if you tick the over 18 box on checkout.

i could easily pass it when it was just another domestic issue, but now as an shm there's no denying it.

Grant+Green+-+Born+To+Be+Blue+-+LP+RECOR

Arrived today - great session and, as far as i can tell (didn`t have this recording in any format before), excellent sonics........will order the one or other, but still hope (also) my request for some guidance reg the bonus tracks on other cd`s of this SHM-CD batch will be answered - based on their actual impressions - by some board members.....

Edited by soulpope

Okay, apparetnly this was fixed for the previous audiophile release. And apparently the fix is also on this new SHM-CD. Cool.

It "seems" fixed on the new SHM-CD I just played and this is good - however, it is of minimal importance at least for me.

Okay, apparetnly this was fixed for the previous audiophile release. And apparently the fix is also on this new SHM-CD. Cool.

It "seems" fixed on the new SHM-CD I just played and this is good - however, it is of minimal importance at least for me.

Which one`s did you obtain, what are your faves ??

Which one`s did you obtain, what are your faves ??

I have the RVG and the new japanese SHM (with the fixed track 1). Also the MM 45 rpm acquired some days ago but not yet played.

The SHM is better than the RVG but, as most of these SHMs, should/could have been much better. An XRCD should be issued and I am sure it would rule all other digitial versions out.

Edited by Alexandros

Some of the later 1968/69/70 albums are not essential at all - the Stanley Turrentine ones are particularly unworthy of the remasters art, SHM or not!

Other than the Elvin Jones albums, most of the latter Blue Note reissues fail to meet the classic bench mark by far.

Well covers don't really mean much to me. I know others feel differently but to me the music is judged completely divorced from any artwork, liners, etc.

I disagree with the review, This date has a very deep musical foundation to it, and all players are there to play. I've loved it since I first heard it many years ago.

I wonder who wrote that review. One of the most special recordings for me of that time.

I guess it depends how you respond to Ike Quebec in general. I respond pretty well myself.

Well covers don't really mean much to me. I know others feel differently but to me the music is judged completely divorced from any artwork, liners, etc.

I disagree with the review, This date has a very deep musical foundation to it, and all players are there to play. I've loved it since I first heard it many years ago.

I wonder who wrote that review. One of the most special recordings for me of that time.

I guess it depends how you respond to Ike Quebec. I respond pretty well myself...

Some of the later 1968/69/70 albums are not essential at all - the Stanley Turrentine ones are particularly unworthy of the remasters art, SHM or not!

Other than the Elvin Jones albums, most of the latter Blue Note reissues fail to meet the classic bench mark by far.

I had the Conn of "A Bluish Bag" but I traded it because although the playing is wonderful, I just found it boring.

I had the Conn of "A Bluish Bag" but I traded it because although the playing is wonderful, I just found it boring.

Aye, most of those later albums fall into the Bud Shank California Dreamin' period on World Pacific: an undignified attempt to be pop-popular. Still, Another Story is not bad at all, but The Look of Love and Always Something There are cringe worthy.

Cuscuna says as much in the brief notes that accompany the CDs. Neither guilty pleasures nor unheralded gems, that is for sure.

Whether for plugging gaps, extra tracks, sonic upgrades, or for the outer reaches of the catalog, these Japanese series have been really doing the business.

I especially like the 75th anniversary series.

The price is right on this stuff and with all this going on the lack of domestic issues is no longer an uh issue.

IMO

got a batch of the UCCQ's (75th anniversary) last week - just trying to fill the gaps but I also had to try out the Greens (Oleo, Matador & Gooden's Corner) & Mobleys (Poppin' & Curtain Call)

They do sound much better than the 90's pressings

Listening right now to the extra unreleased material on the Patton "Blue John" disc - surprised it wasn't released back in the 90's

Whether for plugging gaps, extra tracks, sonic upgrades, or for the outer reaches of the catalog, these Japanese series have been really doing the business.

I especially like the 75th anniversary series.

The price is right on this stuff and with all this going on the lack of domestic issues is no longer an uh issue.

IMO

The price is indeed right, with these prices, you can afford to go for completeness, even though you know there's going to a few duds in the later Blue Note catalogue.

As I've said before, these Blue Note and Prestige titles hark back to the first golden age of decent jazz reissues on CD in the mid to late 1990s. But this second wave of the good stuff is even better!

Happy days.

You're going to like "Born to be Blue," it sounds fabulous. As do the other Greens in this batch, I've listened to them all, "Matador" really stands out as killer sounding to my ears on my system.

thnx for the thumbs up btw hint reg. "matador".......will reconsider ^_^

A warning on Matador. While the BN SHMs generally include the bonus tracks from previous US releases, Matador misses the bonus track from the 1990 CD which made it the complete session. I can't see this track being logically reshuffled to another Grant Green SHM.

Sound is awesome, of course.

Wasn't Wives and Lovers original recorded during the Solid Session? If so, that's the best place for it.

You're going to like "Born to be Blue," it sounds fabulous. As do the other Greens in this batch, I've listened to them all, "Matador" really stands out as killer sounding to my ears on my system.

thnx for the thumbs up btw hint reg. "matador".......will reconsider ^_^

A warning on Matador. While the BN SHMs generally include the bonus tracks from previous US releases, Matador misses the bonus track from the 1990 CD which made it the complete session. I can't see this track being logically reshuffled to another Grant Green SHM.

Sound is awesome, of course.

Wasn't Wives and Lovers original recorded during the Solid Session? If so, that's the best place for it.

You're right. And it was included on the recent BNLT999 reissue of Solid.