Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

Well covers don't really mean much to me. I know others feel differently but to me the music is judged completely divorced from any artwork, liners, etc.

I disagree with the review, This date has a very deep musical foundation to it, and all players are there to play. I've loved it since I first heard it many years ago.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

artwork means everything to me. it was the stimulus that motivated me to begin collecting blue note as a teenager after a copy of 'speak no evil' was given to me (the same day as sanborn's 'taking off'...) and it still informs my choices to this day.

that having been said, of course music is judged solely on its own merit, devoid of the package in which its delivered. my comments above were really tongue in cheek and in no way seriously representative of how i really make decisions. heck, i often think a covers are fugly with no correlative criticism of content. when a review is posted that describes a date as sleepy or boring, that's usually a magnet to me.

i have an appointment in ghana... but hey, some people disdain sleepy while others are really drawn to sessions wtith that sort of, um, energy - or lack thereof? me, for one.

I hear ya...and I recall being super excited to hear this when I bought the LP some 20 years ago..loved the cover and thought to myself "how could it be anything but great". However it proved to be underwhelming to my ears...hope you like it..post your thoughts when you do!

Do you mean this batch, or the classic (50s & 60s) BN albums in general?

To me the 80's Joe Henderson State of the Tenor albums show the most remarkable improvement on SHM.

After that the Prestige 7000 series and New Jazz SHMs are probably the most impeccable.

Edited by erwbol

I have held off this bandwagon for a while now. It sounds like I might want to try a few of these after all. Is there a list of 5 or 6 titles that are "must have"?

The previously unissued bonus material and improved sound of "Out to Lunch" make it tops on my list.

The classic Blue Note SHMs have a bit higher volume levels than audiophile releases like the Audio Wave XRCD24s. The Prestige and New Jazz titles do not and neither do the 80s Blue Note SHMs. This is one thing that bothers Hoffman board members like J.A.W. and DrJ about the classic BN SHMs they bought.

But if you enjoyed the JRVG of Basra, a disc that Kevin once recommended on the Hoffman board, I suspect this won't be an issue. In the end, I don't regret buying a single BN SHM.

Edited by erwbol

You're going to like "Born to be Blue," it sounds fabulous. As do the other Greens in this batch, I've listened to them all, "Matador" really stands out as killer sounding to my ears on my system.

thnx for the thumbs up btw hint reg. "matador".......will reconsider ^_^

A warning on Matador. While the BN SHMs generally include the bonus tracks from previous US releases, Matador misses the bonus track from the 1990 CD which made it the complete session. I can't see this track being logically reshuffled to another Grant Green SHM.

Sound is awesome, of course.

Edited by erwbol

Do you mean this batch, or the classic (50s & 60s) BN albums in general?

To me the 80's Joe Henderson State of the Tenor albums show the most remarkable improvement on SHM.

After that the Prestige 7000 series and New Jazz SHMs are probably the most impeccable.

I've had those two Henderson CDs in cart a couple of times but... I just don't spin those CDs enough to worry about an incremental improvement in sound. I have played to the DoubleTime CDs since these SHM versions came out and they sound OK to me. Even if these are "night & day" better, I don't think I'd play them any more than I play these old discs.

I've also had "Out To Lunch" in my cart a few times but that is not one of my favorite Blue Note dates either. Yeah, my Jazz musical taste are a bit on the conservative side, I know it and live with it. :)

You're going to like "Born to be Blue," it sounds fabulous. As do the other Greens in this batch, I've listened to them all, "Matador" really stands out as killer sounding to my ears on my system.

A warning on Matador. While the BN SHMs generally include the bonus tracks from previous US releases, Matador misses the bonus track from the 1990 CD which made it the complete session. I can't see this track being logically reshuffled to another Grant Green SHM.

Interesting. I didn't miss the alternate. And I don't. Sounds awesome indeed.

Interesting. I didn't miss the alternate. And I don't. Sounds awesome indeed.

It's not the best track from that session, that's for sure. No reason not to get Matador on SHM.

Jubilee Shout has an alternate that was not on the Mosaic? That bites.

Bertrand.

I know what you mean, but, without hearing it, I figure it can't be that good. If it was really worth it, they would've included it on the Mosaic.

Having said that, can anyone report back on any of the new alternate takes included in this series? Worth it, or just warm-ups?

I got five in the series (Tippin' The Scales, Z.T.'s Blues, Easy Living, Boogaloo, and Memphis To New York Spirit) but don't know when I'll be listening to them. I also got Sonny Rollins's Alfie.

Jubilee Shout has an alternate that was not on the Mosaic? That bites.

Bertrand.

I know what you mean, but, without hearing it, I figure it can't be that good. If it was really worth it, they would've included it on the Mosaic.

Having said that, can anyone report back on any of the new alternate takes included in this series? Worth it, or just warm-ups?

I got five in the series (Tippin' The Scales, Z.T.'s Blues, Easy Living, Boogaloo, and Memphis To New York Spirit) but don't know when I'll be listening to them.

These infos would also be very much appreciated from my side......

but that cover....it's a thing of, shall we say, anti-beauty. i could easily pass it when it was just another domestic issue, but now as an shm there's no denying it.

Grant+Green+-+Born+To+Be+Blue+-+LP+RECOR

maybe this review put me off;

"Ike Quebec is the problem with Grant Green's "Born To Be Blue." He's way too laid back. A sax player with more energy might have elevated this beyond the doldrums, but as it is, they're just phoning it in. Grant Green deserves 2 Stars for showing up, but with so many great sets in his discography, you're safe bypassing this."

now that i think about it, these two reviews highlight selling points;

"This one was a little too subdued for my tastes. I didn't like Idle Moments or Street of Dreams either. And I'm really not into Ballads. So I guess if you like the slow stuff, you might like this one too. Otherwise, you might be a bit disappointed."

""Born to Be Blue" and "Cool Blues" are the standouts. Overall a very good, if somewhat subdued, recording."

Those are my three favorite Grant Green albums. Never heard of a jazz fan who didn't like ballads.

"Dialogue", "Happenings", "Components", "Stick Up" and "Live at Montreux" are my fav. Hutcherson's. After having listened to "Natural Illusions" on Rhapsody confirms those choices even more.

I recently listened one track from "San Francisco" and I immediately ordered the SHM one (still on the way):

TYCJ-81070.jpg?v=1