John Zorn month is Over

sgcim

I've listened to John Zorn's music every day on WKCR this month, and today was the last day of his 60th birthday celebration.

He went out in style by co-hosting with Phil Schaap, and playing some cuts from his new album, Gnostic Preludes.

I can't say I liked everything I heard this month, but the Masada group with Marc Ribot ( they used to call him to sub for me in a band I used to play in- now I know why they called him) was very enjoyable.

The new album, Gnostic Preludes, has some beautiful music featuring Bill Frisell, a vibes player and a harpist. I managed to tape some of it with the old cassette player, but it won't be available on disc until December. I think you can download it on itunes, though.

Gnostic Preludes was released last spring actually, so maybe it's a new album with the same group? Kenny Wollesen is the vibes player on several of my recent Zorn favorites (Nova Express, At the Gates of Paradise, Mount Analogue)

Yes, you're right. This was GP #3. I don't know if that instrumentation has ever been done before- just harp, vibes and electric guitar, but JZ wrote some beautiful stuff for it.

They played an interview with Frisell that was done last week right afterwards. BF said he was mainly reading on the new album. very little improv on his part.

the latest seems to be "Dreamachines" (Wollesen-vib, Medeski-p, Dunn-b, Baron-d) - looks good, too!

I enjoyed Nova Express from the same group, have wishlisted this one but i'm not too enthused about pulling the trigger for whatever reason.

I did pull the trigger on Dreamachines and very good it is too. It's knottier than Nova Express but still has its melodic moments. A fine band

the latest seems to be "Dreamachines" (Wollesen-vib, Medeski-p, Dunn-b, Baron-d) - looks good, too!

I enjoyed Nova Express from the same group, have wishlisted this one but i'm not too enthused about pulling the trigger for whatever reason.

I did pull the trigger on Dreamachines and very good it is too. It's knottier than Nova Express but still has its melodic moments. A fine band

Just relistened to the Amazon samples and if i had the money at the moment i would get it, sounds really good. For whatever reason when i listened to the samples first time round it sounded good but i just felt kind of nonplussed about it... just one of those 'horse to water' things i guess.

I've listened to John Zorn's music every day on WKCR this month, and today was the last day of his 60th birthday celebration.

He went out in style by co-hosting with Phil Schaap, and playing some cuts from his new album, Gnostic Preludes.

I can't say I liked everything I heard this month, but the Masada group with Marc Ribot ( they used to call him to sub for me in a band I used to play in- now I know why they called him) was very enjoyable.

The new album, Gnostic Preludes, has some beautiful music featuring Bill Frisell, a vibes player and a harpist. I managed to tape some of it with the old cassette player, but it won't be available on disc until December. I think you can download it on itunes, though.

Schapp....ratio of actual music to Schaap being Schaap? I stopped bothering anytime Schaap was involved with anything on WKCR. HTF? does he still have a job?

Have already commented enough on what I think of Zorn these days. He probably composed 50-100 things in the time I took to post this. As in, The Gnostic Preludes isn't close to being new and he doesn't play a note on it, but it's his name that is featured. Okay, I am beating a dead horse.

Edited by Blue Train

To paraphrase Fineas & Ferb re you beating a dead horse, 'Why yes, yes you are!'

But can you make him drink? Can you beat a dead horse to water and make him drink?

Remember, you got there first, so perhaps the answer is not as apparent for some as it might otherwise be, especially now that John Zorn Month is no longer with us but Phil Schapp is. The constant here?

Water.

Some people see problems, others see solutions. If you plan on making yours a water-based solution, you might want to reconsider making the dead horse drink it.

Force is never the answer, but it might be a part of the solution. I'm not a chemist, so really, I don't know. Do you? Does anybody?

And yet, there is life. There IS life! So say yes to water! And ride a dead horse - AND the dead horse he rode in on. Give them both some water, and let them come rolling home, this one and that one, each and both, some, but not all.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Schapp....ratio of actual music to Schaap being Schaap? I stopped bothering anytime Schaap was involved with anything on WKCR. HTF? does he still have a job?

Have already commented enough on what I think of Zorn these days. He probably composed 50-100 things in the time I took to post this. As in, The Gnostic Preludes isn't close to being new and he doesn't play a note on it, but it's his name that is featured. Okay, I am beating a dead horse.

This was the Gnostic Preludes #3, that hasn't been released yet.

Here's a link to a live performance by the trio. Some real pretty stuff

JZ might have the same condition that Alan Hovannes was said to have- a kind of compositional diarreah, where the said person literally can't stop writing music.

PS can literally kill with his voice. I recently woke up to him giving the life story of some deservedly obscure dixieland player in excruciating detail.

I felt like he was trying to literally suffocate me with words, and had to turn it off.

I recently heard a story about him, which would qualify him as the official "J.J. Hunsecker" of jazz.

A musician had him over for dinner, and he started telling the guy that he was nothing without him.

The guy's wife freaked, and they literally threw him the fuck out of their apartment!

To paraphrase Fineas & Ferb re you beating a dead horse, 'Why yes, yes you are!'

But can you make him drink? Can you beat a dead horse to water and make him drink?

Remember, you got there first, so perhaps the answer is not as apparent for some as it might otherwise be, especially now that John Zorn Month is no longer with us but Phil Schapp is. The constant here?

Water.

Some people see problems, others see solutions. If you plan on making yours a water-based solution, you might want to reconsider making the dead horse drink it.

Force is never the answer, but it might be a part of the solution. I'm not a chemist, so really, I don't know. Do you? Does anybody?

And yet, there is life. There IS life! So say yes to water! And ride a dead horse - AND the dead horse he rode in on. Give them both some water, and let them come rolling home, this one and that one, each and both, some, but not all.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

You can't teach a dead horse new tricks.