Upcoming box sets

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took this from the site I linked above - no idea if it really is accurate. But it will give some sort of an idea nevertheless:

(just found out that the link was in the thread Lon killed, here it comes again: http://www.jazzdisco.org/verve/)

As this site lists only four of these jam sessions, let's hope we get loads of additional material! (Maybe they could add the JATP things not in the box set...)

Norman Granz' Jam Session

Charlie Shavers (tp) Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker (as) Flip Phillips, Ben Webster (ts) Oscar Peterson (p) Barney Kessel (g) Ray Brown (B) J.C. Heard (d)

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA, July, 1952

802-2 Jam Blues Mercury MGC 601, Clef MGC 4001, MGC 601, MGC 651, Verve MGV 8049, V/V6 8486, VE2 2508

803-3 What Is This Thing Called Love? Mercury MGC 602, Clef MGC 4002, MGC 602, MGC 652, Verve MGV 8050, V/V6 8486, VE2 2508

804-2 Ballad Medley Mercury MGC 601, Clef MGC 4001, MGC 601, MGC 651, Verve MGV 8049, MGV 8002, MGV 8100 3, VE2 2508

805-2 Funky Blues Mercury MGC 602, Clef MGC 4002, MGC 602, MGC 652, Verve MGV 8050, V/V6 8409, V/V6 8486, V3HB 8840, VE2 2508

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #1 (Mercury MGC 601, Clef MGC 4001, MGC 601, MGC 651, Verve MGV 8049)

* Funky Blues / The JATP All Stars (Verve V/V6 8486)

* The Charlie Parker Sides / Norman Granz' Jam Session (Verve VE2 2508)

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #2 (Mercury MGC 602, Clef MGC 4002, MGC 602, MGC 652, Verve MGV 8050)

* The Charlie Parker Story, #3 (Verve MGV 8002)

* The Charlie Parker Story (Verve MGV 8100 3)

* The Essential Charlie Parker (Verve V/V6 8409)

* Return Engagement / Charlie Parker (Verve V3HB 8840)

Harry Edison (tp) Buddy DeFranco (cl) Benny Carter, Willie Smith (as) Stan Getz, Wardell Gray (ts) Arnold Ross (p -3,4) Count Basie (p -1,2, org -3) Freddie Green (g) John Simmons (B) Buddy Rich (d)

Los Angeles, CA, August 3, 1953

1. 1259-6 Apple Jam Clef MGC 4003, MGC 653, Verve MGV 8051, VSP 31

2. 1260-2 Lady Be Good Clef MGC 4004, MGC 654, Verve MGV 8052

3. 1261-2 Blues for the Count -

4. 1262-4 Ballad Medley Clef MGC 4003, MGC 653, Verve MGV 8051

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #3 (Clef MGC 4003, MGC 653, Verve MGV 8051)

* Stan Getz Plays Blues (Verve VSP 31)

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #4 (Clef MGC 4004, MGC 654, Verve MGV 8052)

Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie (tp) Johnny Hodges (as) Illinois Jacquet, Flip Phillips, Ben Webster (ts) Lionel Hampton (vib) Oscar Peterson (p) Ray Brown (B) Buddy Rich (d)

NYC, September 2, 1953

1280-3 Jam Blues Clef MGC 711, Verve MGV 8094

1281-3 Blue Lou Clef MGC 677, Verve MGV 8062

1282-3 Just You, Just Me -

1283-3 Ballad Medley Clef MGC 711, Verve MGV 8094

1284-3 Jammin' for Clef Clef MGC 4005, MGC 655, Verve MGV 8053

1285-2 Blue Room -

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #8 (Clef MGC 711, Verve MGV 8094)

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #7 (Clef MGC 677, Verve MGV 8062)

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #5 (Clef MGC 4005, MGC 655, Verve MGV 8053)

Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie (tp) Bill Harris (tb) Buddy DeFranco (cl) Flip Phillips (ts) Oscar Peterson (p) Herb Ellis (g) Ray Brown (B) Louis Bellson (d)

NYC, October 30, 1954

2032-1 Stompin' at the Savoy, Pt. 1 Clef MGC 656

2033-1 Stompin' at the Savoy, Pt. 2 -

2034-1 Lullaby in Rhythm Verve MGV 8196

2035-1 Funky Blues No. 2 -

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #6 (Clef MGC 656)

* Norman Granz' Jam Session, #9 (Verve MGV 8196)

ubu

Then the Tom Lord discography adds an unissued Jam Session date:

Harry Edison, tp, Lester Young, Ben Webster, ts, Oscar Peterson, p, Herb Ellis, g, Ray Brown, b, Louis Bellson, dr, Jimmy Rushing, voc. LA, August 22, 1957.

- Goin' to Chicago (Rushing, voc)

- Someone to Watch Over Me

Hope will see that included in the box. Sounds like reason enough to buy the set just for this...

Then the Tom Lord discography adds an unissued Jam Session date:

Harry Edison, tp, Lester Young, Ben Webster, ts, Oscar Peterson, p, Herb Ellis, g, Ray Brown, b, Louis Bellson, dr, Jimmy Rushing, voc. LA, August 22, 1957.

- Goin' to Chicago (Rushing, voc)

- Someone to Watch Over Me

Hope will see that included in the box. Sounds like reason enough to buy the set just for this...

Yes indeed! This looks very interesting! Hope they do a better job than with the JATP set!

ubu

Got mail from Mosaic - the Jazztet set will be 7 CD ( :excited: ) and include the following:

MEET THE JAZZTET Argo LP 664 - recorded February 1960

THE JAZZTET - BIG CITY SOUNDS Argo LP 672 - Recorded September 1960

THE JAZZTET & JOHN LEWIS Argo LP 684 - recorded December 1960/January 1961

THE JAZZTET AT BIRDHOUSE Argo LP 688 - recorded May 1961

THE JAZZTET - HERE AND NOW Mercury SR 60698 - recorded Feb/March 1962

THE JAZZTET - ANOTHER GIT TOGETHER Mercury SR 60737 - recorded May/June 1962

ART FARMER - ART Argo LP 678 - recorded September 1960

ART FARMER - PERCEPTION Argo LP 738 - recorded October 1961

BENNY GOLSON - TURNING POINT Mercury SR 20801 - recorded November 1962

BENNY GOLSON - FREE Argo LP 716 - recorded December 26, 1962

BENNY GOLSON - TAKE A NUMBER FROM 1 TO !0 Argo LP 681 - recorded December 1960 & April 1961

LISTEN TO ART FARMER AND THE ORCHESTRA Mercury SR 60766 - recorded Aug 1962

This is cool news! I know about half of these albums, and love every bit of them! And it's cool they're including "Art", "Perception" (coupled on one of those discs were Keepnews decided to omit two titles), "Listen to A.F. And The Orchestra", as well as Golson's "Free" and "Take A Number From 1 To 10"! All very cool records!

As I have several of them on those rather cheap b/w Argo reissues (Jazztet Meets Lewis, Golson 1-10) on LP only, I will certainly get that set!

ubu

Man, I've held off picking up all the Jazztet stuff on CD for years dreaming that Mosaic would do them justice...I am psyched! And it's particularly cool they broadened the concept of the set a bit to include those excellent contemporaneous Farmer and Golson individual leader dates, given that only some of them have been issued on CD in the U.S. and then only in a rather Procrustean manner.

Two of the Golsons (FREE and TAKE A NUMBER...) were reissued in that short-lived Chess reissue series with the color-coded artwork from a few years back...or at least sort of: Michael Cuscuna (surprisingly) lopped off 3 of the original 10 tracks of the TAKE A NUMBER...album - a particularly gratuitious hack job, since the CD length as issued was only 62 minutes and the rest would have fit!!!

The Farmers appeared in the CD OUT OF THE PAST, which similarly saw Orrin Keepnews lopping off one track from each of the original albums while also resequencing the tracks. Since I have since picked up the Japanese imports of both full albums, I can tell you I have no idea why he left those cuts off - both are as strong as the rest of the stuff he did include. What a dork.

Edited by DrJ

Man, I've held off picking up all the Jazztet stuff on CD for years dreaming that Mosaic would do them justice...I am psyched! And it's particularly cool they broadened the concept of the set a bit to include those excellent contemporaneous Farmer and Golson individual leader dates, given that only some of them have been issued on CD in the U.S. and then only in a rather Procrustean manner.

Two of the Golsons (FREE and TAKE A NUMBER...) were reissued in that short-lived Chess reissue series with the color-coded artwork from a few years back...or at least sort of: Orrin Keepnews lopped off 3 of the original 10 tracks of the TAKE A NUMBER...album - a particularly gratuitious hack job, since the CD length as issued was only 62 minutes and the rest would have fit!!!

The Farmers appeared in the CD OUT OF THE PAST, which similarly saw Keepnews lopping off one track from each of the original albums while also resequencing the tracks. Since I have since picked up the Japanese imports of both full albums, I can tell you I have no idea why he left those cuts off - both are as strong as the rest of the stuff he did include. What a dork.

I take it you were not pumping your fist in triumphant solidarity when Orrin got named for a Grammy the other night. ^_^ (I & many others share your sentiments regarding his omissions--no news there, eh?)

Good to see you out and about, DrJ. You were mentioned earlier today in the "Where is Michael Fitzgerald" thread... and then, presto!

ghost of miles Posted: Feb 12 2004, 08:58 PM 

Good to see you out and about, DrJ. You were mentioned earlier today in the "Where is Michael Fitzgerald" thread... and then, presto!

Thanks my friend! I actually didn't see that thread, but some type of psychic energy must have found me because I just felt like posting today.

I've been checking in periodically but way to busy to spend much time, let alone post...having a 7 month old (will update the Avatar picture accordingly momentarily) and a bunch of new job stuff will do that!

Fitting that Keepnews would win a Grammy...a useless award. Seriously, I have nothing personal towards him and he's obviously done some wonderful work in his lifetime but in later years he has become more than erratic.

Edited by DrJ

BENNY GOLSON - TAKE A NUMBER FROM 1 TO 10 Argo LP 681 - recorded December 1960 & April 1961

Who's on this one?

Tough one to nail down there. So far all I come up with is Mike Fitzgerald's Jazztet discography, which states simply that "Curtis Fuller and Art Farmer play on parts of this Benny Golson album."

BENNY GOLSON - TAKE A NUMBER FROM 1 TO 10 Argo LP 681 - recorded December 1960 & April 1961

Who's on this one?

Tough one to nail down there. So far all I come up with is Mike Fitzgerald's Jazztet discography, which states simply that "Curtis Fuller and Art Farmer play on parts of this Benny Golson album."

Time for you to buy a real discography. Enough getting by with the kindness of others. ^_^

Who's on this one?

Time for you to buy a real discography. Enough getting by with the kindness of others. ^_^

Gee whiz, a hearty thanks! Looks like you've gone & broken your golden rule again! B)

(Originally posted by Chuck Nessa, March 8):

"I won't post, just to post. I need a topic or thread to respond to...."

As the self-proclaimed world's greatest Art Farmer fan (I once told him that one evening at The Vanguard in 1988 ... and he didn't disagree with me!), I am ecstatic to see that Mosaic will be doing a box on The Jazztet, et. al. I do wonder though why they chose to reissue some non-Jazztet things that have already been reissued, while ignoring others. For instance, "Listen to Art Farmer and the Orchestra" is available on a Verve CD, while "Brass Shout" is available only on a Japanese CD, and "Aztec Suite" has never been reissued. AND, one of the greatest of all modern jazz albums "MODERN ART" (I could listen to this album every day... Art's solos are unique compositions in themselves, and both Golson and Bill Evans are equallly superb) will not be part of the box, presumably because it is still very active in the current BN catalog. Being greedy, I would have preferred to have seen a separate Art Farmer/Golson United Artists Mosaic Select; then they could have included Milt Jackson's "Bags Opus" .. another great unsung album, which features Farmer and Golson ... making four great UA albums on two CDs ... Ah Well! I guess that we all have our own ideas about Mosaic should do things. I am just thankful that the Jazztet box will go a long way to replace my former LP collection of all of these sessions. I paid a small fortune for a Japanese pressing of the John Lewis Album several years ago; it and Big City Sounds are two seldom heard gems.

I am already making up my Christmas list...

Garth,

Houston.

(Son-of-a-Weizen @ Feb 12 2004, 08:59 PM)

Who's on this one?

I can account for the musicians on the 7 tracks that were on the U.S. reissue I mentioned above. You probably know this, but to be sure - the premise of the album is that it begins with a lovely unaccompanied version of "You're My Thrill," and then with each of the successive tracks, additional instruments are added so that by the last track there is a septet. So thusly:

Recorded Dec 13 & 14, 1960, Nola's Penthouse, NYC

Produced by Jack Tracy

Engineer: Tommy Nola

1. "You're My Thrill"

Benny Golson - tenor sax

2. "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"

as on Track 1 plus add Tommy Williams - bass

3. "The Best Thing for You Is Me"

as on Track 2 plus add Tootie Heath - drums

4. "Impromptune"

as on Track 3 plus add Cedar Walton

5. "Little Karin"

as on Track 4 plus add Freddie Hubbard - trumpet

6. "Swing It"

as on Track 5 plus add Curtis Fuller - trombone

7. "I Fall in Love too Easily"

as on Track 6 plus add Sahib Shihab - baritone sax

I'm curious to see who rounds out what I'm assuming will be octet, nonet, and then tentet configurations for the last 3 numbers!

Someone asked about the personnel on the Golson "Take A Number From 1 To 10" album. This is a wonderful "concept" album in which Golson starts with a solo ""You're My Thrill" and then adds one additional musician all the way up to the final cut featuring a tentet on a Golson original "Time" (Art Farmer is the last musician added!). Others featured in order of addition are Tommy Williams on bass, Tootie Heath on drums, Cedar Walton, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis Fuller, Sahib Shihab; then an octet with Nick Travis, Bill Elton (tmb), Willie Ruff (fhr), Hal MsKusick (as), Sol Schlinger (bs), Tommy Williams, and Al Heath; Bernie Glow (tp) and Art Farmer are the last two additions. A great album, mixing standards and those exceptional Golson originals ....

Now... tell me .. how cold you conceivably reissue this concept album, and then decide which cuts to eliminate .... number 3. or maybe 7, and just perhaps 5? .. Geez! I refused to purchase the chess reissue for this reason!

Garth,

Houston.

We must have posted at about the same time Garth!

They basically just reissued the first 7 cuts...Keepnews must have something against octets, nonets, and tentets!

About the content of the Mosaic - while I'd love to see the UA Farmer stuff you mention get issued by Mosaic, it wouldn't really fit the theme of the planned box which, as far as I can tell, just has labels represented that are currently held by Universal.

What WOULD probably fit with Mosaic's modus would be a Mosaic Select of Farmer's UA stuff...if they could piece together enough material to make up 3 full CDs. Can it be done?

Dr. J... that is essentially what I was suggesting. I agree though that there are only four obvious Farmer UA albums (if we include the Milt Jackson). However, they could have added the ABC album of Farmer with the Quincy Jones Orchestra .. and strings.. "Last Night When We Were Young" .. and Benny Golson's "The Philadelphians" (with Lee Morgan) .. that makes six LPs... and a very neat Mosiac Select... Geez! I should have accepted that job as the Verve reissue manager back in 1990!

Garth,

Houston.

What WOULD probably fit with Mosaic's modus would be a Mosaic Select of Farmer's UA stuff...if they could piece together enough material to make up 3 full CDs. Can it be done?

Send them an email and ask! Would be a set to get for sure! I only know that one album with Bill Evans on piano, the one still available on Blue Note. Pretty good stuff!

Tell us what they reply, and I might drop them a mail, too!

ubu

About the content of the Mosaic - while I'd love to see the UA Farmer stuff you mention get issued by Mosaic, it wouldn't really fit the theme of the planned box which, as far as I can tell, just has labels represented that are currently held by Universal.

I'm not familiar with Farmer's UA stuff aside from Modern Art and don't know how much there is. But when Mosaic introduced the Select series, they did state that these sets would be 2 or 3 disc sets. So far, they've obviously stuck with the 3 disc releases - but you never know.

Who's on this one?

You ain't kiddin'. Lord is out on CD-ROM, right? The School of Music library here has some great discographies, but these days I frequently find the need to have one at hand.