Upcoming box sets

BENNY GOLSON - TAKE A NUMBER FROM 1 TO 10 Argo LP 681 - recorded December 1960 & April 1961

Who's on this one?

Tough one to nail down there. So far all I come up with is Mike Fitzgerald's Jazztet discography, which states simply that "Curtis Fuller and Art Farmer play on parts of this Benny Golson album."

Time for you to buy a real discography. Enough getting by with the kindness of others. ^_^

In the spirit of Compassionate Bi-Partisanship (better than carbonatated bicarbonate, I'm sure...) here's the deal. This is a "concept" album. It starts with Golson playing an unaccompanied version of "You're My Thrill", and then adds a player with each subsequent selection, so that by the closing Track 10, you've got 10 players playing. I got a copy from Dusty Groove (the bastards!) last year, and have it in front of me now, so here's the rundown, with the player besides the cut # being the one(s) added:

1 - Golson ("You're My Thrill")

2 - Tommy Williams ("My Heart Belongs To Daddy")

3 - Albert Heath ("The Best Thing For You Is Me")

4 - Cedar Walton ("Impromptune")

5- Freddie Hubbard ("Little Karin")

6 - Curtis Fuller ("Swing It")

7 - Sahib Shihab ("I Fall In Love Too Easily")

8 - Shihab, Fuller, Hubbard, & Walton out, add Nick Travis, Hal McKusick, Sol Schlinger, Willie Ruff, Bill Elton ("Out Of This World")

9 - As 8, add Bernie Glow ("The Touch")

10 - As 9, add Art Farmer ("Time")

Funny thing, I saw this album in a TG&Y back around 1971-72 for something like 49 cents, and not yet knowing who Golson was, and seeing the "hokey" (as it seemed then) cover, the "gimmicky" concept, the short tunes (nothing over 5:51, and I liked looooooong jams almost exclusively back then), and the photo of Golson looking like a GM executive or some such, I blew it off. Ah, the folly of youth...

Here's the cover, as best as I can cheapo-webcam it:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jim - well what was wrong with MY post of basically this same info!? ;)

Just funnin' - you expanded it, and I'm glad to have found out what's on those last 3 tracks - and have a color pic of the cover!

Garth - well, it looks like you've assembled a very promising Mosaic Select covering the Farmer/Golson UA+ Sessions. I don't want them to feel we're not grateful for the Jazztet set already on the horizon, but...somebody with an "in" with Cuscuna ought to e-mail this new idea pronto!

BRASS SHOUT is btw an album that is undeservedly obscure...maybe not Farmer's very best but a strong one (and got to love that cover, so "of the era").

Hey Jim - well what was wrong with MY post of basically this same info!?

Sorry, man! The board's been running slow again, and I didn't bother to go back and look at all of last night's posts. My bad! :huh:

Briefcase always at the ready, Senior VP Golson is never at a loss for sales projections OR quality arrrangements!

I have just corrected an error in my prior post/rant about the truncated reissue of PICK A NUMBER...guess what folks, it was not Orrin Keepnews who can be faulted on that one, it was none other than Michael Cuscuna who produced that CD!!!

Given his usual completeness, my guess is that maybe they couldn't find the tapes for the last 3 cuts and either weren't inclined to try and locate a good quality LP copy or couldn't find an acceptably clean one. I guess one other possibility is also that because these tracks were apparently recorded at a later session he somehow felt they didn't fit in with the rest of the stuff.

Anyway, wanted to be fair to O.K. - although he was still the chump that messed up OUT OF THE PAST and has chopped up so many other recordings lately - and set the record straight. At least Michael appears to be rectifying the problem with this new Mosaic box!

Thanks one and all for the info on the Golson LP....looking forward to hearing that!

I have a nice old mono copy of 'Brass Shout' which has a blue stamp Inspected #798 in the lower left (back) corner. What's the deal with that? I've not seen this on other Lp covers.

Weizen, I have those stamps on quite a number of original LPs. My take of it was that sample albums were checked as thousands of albums came out of the pressing plant and got inspection stamps.

I should have accepted that job as the Verve reissue manager back in 1990!

You honestly believe you'd still be in that position by now????

Well .... I was still doing my radio show at the time ... I had had extensive discussions with their promotions department about the rationale of their reissue decisions. I was surprised ("shocked" would be a better emotion) when they did make a serious offer to interview me for a managerial position doing reissues. I, in turn, thought seriously about taking a sabbatical from my job at the university for a year or two .., however, the money being offered would not have gotten me a closet in Manhattan! I decided to stay in Houston, and the rest, as they say .. is history! But, I do often wonder "what if ...?"

Garth,

Houston.

I should have accepted that job as the Verve reissue manager back in 1990!

You honestly believe you'd still be in that position by now????

Well .... I was still doing my radio show at the time ... I had had extensive discussions with their promotions department about the rationale of their reissue decisions. I was surprised ("shocked" would be a better emotion) when they did make a serious offer to interview me for a managerial position doing reissues. I, in turn, thought seriously about taking a sabbatical from my job at the university for a year or two .., however, the money being offered would not have gotten me a closet in Manhattan! I decided to stay in Houston, and the rest, as they say .. is history! But, I do often wonder "what if ...?"

Garth,

Houston.

Well, it's good to see that the set will include some of the extra (that is, not strictly Jazztet, but closely related) albums in the Fitzgerald discography. Several of the ones that will not be in the Mosaic (such as the Prestige stuff) are already available, though I have no idea where one could purchase those Savoy Fuller CDs these days. (Like Kellogg's Sugar Frosties, they're Grrreat!)

Shrdlu said: " I have no idea where one could purchase those Savoy Fuller CDs these days. (Like Kellogg's Sugar Frosties, they're Grrreat!)"

Actually, three of those wonderful Curtis Fuller sessions on Savoy are readily available. I would heartily recommend them Bluesette II, Jazztette, and Imagination .... Click on this...

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?styl...4&altsearch=yes

Garth,

Houston.

Edited by garthsj

This is a "concept" album. It starts with Golson playing an unaccompanied version of "You're My Thrill", and then adds a player with each subsequent selection, so that by the closing Track 10, you've got 10 players playing.

Seven of these tracks were added to the Chess CD release ( 1998?) of "Free" produced by MC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to Verve, as posted by montg, the Granz box set is coming out on October 5, which just happens to be my birthday. Is there a lucky coincidence there? Something to look forwrard and I know what I'm getting for my birthday :party:

• 1 month later...

I'll not presume to speak for the group, but for my tastes, picking and choosing amongst the individual albums might be the best way to go unless

• You're a TOTAL Dex-head

• There's a BUNCH of prime newly issued material here

• The set is priced at "can't say no" levels

I'd like to see more material from THE CHASE & THE JUMPIN' BLUES sessions myself. Those are truly great, "essential" items I think. The rest ranges from "damn good" to "ok". Although, sometimes an album is worth getting for the sidemen more than for Dex, like the date w/Thad & Hank Jones. So maybe the box would be the way to go if you have little or none of this stuff already. Could be!

Just my opinion.

If it truly is 11 (!) CDs as stated on Jazzmatazz it MUST include lots of unreleased material! There were only 10 LPs and 1 CD with a live concert from the vaults.

I'm thinking maybe more live stuff from THE CHASE sessions, which would only be good news. BLUES A LA SUISSE was pretty much the entire set, right? Otherwise, it might mean lots of alternates, and I don't know how excited I'm going to be about that.

Also, did Dex do any cameos on Prestige besides on that Booker Ervin date? Oh yeah, the Hampton Hawes Montreux side, right? One cut?

What's all the albums anyway? Here's what I know of. Ratings are mine alone, and might seem harsh, but w/Dex, the bar was high, so was he, and sometimes that worked out better than others.

• The Tower Of Power (****)

• More Power (*** 1/2)

• The Panther (*** 1/2)

• The Chase (*****)

• The Jumpin' Blues (*****)

• Ca'Purunge (***)

• Generation (*** 1/2)

• Tangerine (***)

• Blues Ala Suisse (don't remember)

• the Left Bank thing - not a Prestige side per se, but hey... (haven't ehard yet)

Anything else, asides from the two aforementioned cameos?

Geez, if they can get 11 cds out of THAT by doing anything other than straight single-album reproductions, and maybe another Left Band date...

Somehow I missed this thread back in Feb. I did post here in May, however, on the same topic. Better late than never, and all that.

It seems to me there are actually at least 13 likely titles from which this set would be drawn:

1969-04-02,04 -The Tower Of Power! -Prestige

1969-04-02,04 -More Power! -Prestige

1969-05-04 -L. T. D. -Prestige

1969-05-04 -XXL -Prestige

1969-05-10 -A Day In Copenhagen -MPS (but also leased/released by Prestige)

1970-06-18 -At Montreux With Junior Mance -Prestige

1970-07-07 -The Panther -Prestige

1970-07-26 -The Chase! -Prestige

1970-08-27 -The Jumpin' Blues -Prestige

1972-06-22,28 -Tangerine -Prestige

1972-06-28 -Ca'Purange -Prestige

1972-07-22 -Generation -Prestige

1973-07-07 -Blues A La Suisse -Prestige (Only Prestige session not yet out as an individual CD)

The Booker Ervin and Hampton Hawes material might pad it up a bit, too...

======

Edit: Actually, the Hawes I'm thinking of now wasn't on Prestige, but Arista (at Montmartre, not Montreux). Am I forgetting something? There was also a PJJ album (on Galaxy) which included an appearance by Dexter, but again, that (like the RESURGENCE album) would seem to be outside the scope of this set, despite the fact that it's owned by Fantasy...

Edited by Jim R

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but Jazzmatazz lists these as potential new Mosaic releases:

Jazz Crusaders  - The Pacific Jazz Studio Sessions, late 2005

Various  - Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Trio Sessions, 2005

— trio sessions by Clare Fischer, Jimmy Rowles, Russ Freeman and Richard Twardzik 

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but Jazzmatazz lists these as potential new Mosaic releases:

Jazz Crusaders  - The Pacific Jazz Studio Sessions, late 2005

Various  - Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Trio Sessions, 2005

— trio sessions by Clare Fischer, Jimmy Rowles, Russ Freeman and Richard Twardzik 

Was discussed here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11593

ubu

Got mail from Mosaic - the Jazztet set will be 7 CD ( :excited: ) and include the following:

This is cool news! I know about half of these albums, and love every bit of them! And it's cool they're including "Art", "Perception" (coupled on one of those discs were Keepnews decided to omit two titles), "Listen to A.F. And The Orchestra", as well as Golson's "Free" and "Take A Number From 1 To 10"! All very cool records!

As I have several of them on those rather cheap b/w Argo reissues (Jazztet Meets Lewis, Golson 1-10) on LP only, I will certainly get that set!

ubu

I'm really excited, especially because I only have the Savoy material (Blues-ette) the Benny Golson with the Jazztet album on Savoy. The only overlap is that Art Farmer release (Out of the Past?) where OK knocked off a couple of songs from two LPs. By the way, who has listened to Blues-ette II, where all surviving musicians sort of recreate the feel of the original Blues-ette? This was done during Savoy's relaunch. I actually think it is pretty good. Better than some of the reviews I have read anyway.

So, I went ahead and pre-ordered today (they said it would probably be another couple of weeks before the Jazztet can be ordered directly on the website). I also ordered the Tal Farlow. I don't know if I can stand it though. To save on shipping, the two boxes are going to be combined, and now I have to wait ... Oh well, plenty of other things to catch up (sleep maybe?).

By the way, who has listened to Blues-ette II, where all surviving musicians sort of recreate the feel of the original Blues-ette? This was done during Savoy's relaunch. I actually think it is pretty good. Better than some of the reviews I have read anyway.

I, for one, really like it a lot. But I happened to get it before getting the original, so that may have helped. I think it's a great album with a really warm sound.