Herbie Hancock lost sessions?

RogerF

Herbie Hancock - Blow Up extra sessions?

Allegedly some British musicians took part in the original recordings but the final commercial release

involved US musicians only. Does the following comprise the "lost" British sessions? Hard to tell because from the websites there is no personnel listing. Also, forensically analysing the playing is quite difficult - any ideas please? (PS the music is very good indeed and there are several sights where previews or full tracks are available to hear before you buy - including YouTube).

From the Ian Carr website: "Released in 1966 by Sony Special Music Projects.
Catalog Number: AK-52418 -1966 (NB subsequent releases of this contain
different personnel - believed to be for commercial reasons - without Ian Carr and other British musicians, who participated in the original recording sessions)"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blow-Extra-Sessions-herbie-hancock/dp/B000057DWM/ref=sr_1_61?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381502684&sr=1-61

Herbie Hancock the blow up extra-sessions

http://www.hitland.com/Hitland/Catalogo_1.html#53

Edited by RogerF

Roger - I've had a listen to the YouTube previews and those tracks sound like they are by the Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Quintet to me. Specifically, the Warwick LP 'Out Of This World', recorded in March 1961. The track labelled 'Rack Your Soul' is actually Mancini's 'Mr Lucky' and 'Jammin With Herbie' is Donald Byrd's composition 'Curros'

Buyer beware ! - I agree though, very nice music.

I was hoping some of Herbie Mann's stuff had been lost.

Herbie_Mann_Push_Push_album.jpg

No - I am sure there will be millions of copies of this prominent in the racks of Fopp, assuming it is part of that recent £5 'Japanese OBI' release haul.. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

and those tracks sound like they are by the Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Quintet to me. Specifically, the Warwick LP 'Out Of This World', recorded in March 1961.

It's been many, many years ago, but I remember a blowup extra sessions disc that a friend of mine had back in Kansas City and I'm pretty sure it was the Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams material. Ever since, I've always associated online listings of "Herbie blowup extra sessions" as being the ByrdAdams stuff.

I was hoping some of Herbie Mann's stuff had been lost.

Herbie_Mann_Push_Push_album.jpg

That one definitely gets my vote for the most unattractive cover ever, though there may be other competitors. Maybe someone should start a new thread?! Or do we have one already?!

gregmo

The above is a link to the thread "Album covers that make you go uhhhh" but has some topless nudity (albeit vile/stupid). The Herbie Mann one - and I assume he has been included in this thread because of the name ambiguity - is one of the least attractive ones I have seen. Although Nucleus, I'm afraid did have a back cover on Snakehips Etcetera that was, In Ian's own words "disgusting" (I think he was joking, but even so)...http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2011-09/1314889063_back.jpeg

Thanks Jazzbo for the info re: the Hancock estra session. I think this was probably Byrd/Adams then.

Now that I've been other-ly disgusting and killed the thread, back to the subject at hand. Lost sessions, by HH, the one that intrigues me is the one on BN that they released one cut ("Don't Even Go There", great title) on a sampler (Lost Sessions?) and dissed it by saying it was stiff and contrived and I'm all like 'yeah, but no more so than most jazz funk'....anyway, has any more that leaked out (officially or otherwise)?

Okay, to get back on topic ... or rather the real topic which the disc linked in the original post is only teasing us with ...

What about this?

IIRC Hancock was dissatisfied with the soundtrack and decided to re-record it in New York.

The DVD I have has a second audio track that sounds much like it could be the original one.

What DVD edition is it that you're talking of, I'm sure there are various around?

I found out more or less by accident when fooling around with the different audio options. But there is a note in a green field on the back listing special features, that says "Music-Only Audio track" - had no idea it was an entirely different recording.

M copy is by Warner Bros., released in 2004, and has # 65135 on the spine. ISBN is 0-7907-4546-1.

A few Blow Up details.

The mono album runs longer than the stereo. Several of the tunes go on for significantly longer in the mono mixes than the stereo, so the mono is worth tracking down.

I have never compared the recordings very closely between the albums and the film. In the US, it was common during that era to re-record the music for LP, because of musician union rules, but there were exceptions. And as this is a European film, it is more likely that these are the same tracks.

In the film's main titles, after the "beat group" segment, it goes into a jazz part completely different than that on the LP, but if you play the isolated score on the DVD, you hear the LP version. I'm not sure if this means that the album is a separate session or if they used a different segment of the same recording for the film version.

More than the lost British sessions, I would be particularly interested to hear what else exists from the film/album sessions, considering edits such as the one I described, fade-outs, etc.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

The problem with a complete edition will probably be that the rights for the music and the film in different countries will be in different hands, I'm afraid.

IIRC all the tracks on the soundtrack album are heard somewhere in the film. The Yardbirds simply are an important part in the film itself, so they belong there.