Your Next Mosaic Purchase....

The Complete RCA and Columbia Recordings of Una Mae Carlisle.

I'm wishing with you, buddy!

I'm waiting till the end of March, when I plan to pop for the Shank/Brookmeyer/Reece Selects all at once. Will probably pick up the Liebman sooner or later as well... but it's the big boxes coming down the line that really excite me--the Herman, the Farlow, the Jazztet--wowza! :excited:

Max Roach, Django, and the Shank/Cooper & Brookmeyer Selects.

I'm going for the Roach soon too. Even thought they say it was a one time thing, I'm leery after what happened to the Stuff set - and I know the Roach has been around for a while. I want to avoid another "Oops, didn't we tell you your license is up" when they try to re-press.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Good for you, Ed.

That was quite a coincidence!

I'll say. It had been listed only a couple of hours. I read the description, jumped on it and half way through the process started thinking that it was to good to be true. But I did not dare stop because I figured that if someone else saw it it would be gone. After I bought it I went back to re-read what I had bought and still could not believe my good luck.

I don't know if you check ebay much, but the same guy listed a whole bunch of boxes and/or booklets without discs and vice versa stating that someone had stolen either the discs or in the case of the item I bought, the box and booklet. Bummer.

I promised myself this year I'd only by the new Selects & the bigger sets only when they are on the running low list (I spent far too much on CDs last year).

But with the pound being so strong against the dollar at the moment I'm trying not think I'm being a fool to myself not to buy any now !

But any one of these would do nicely -

Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams

Elvin Jones

Wynton Kelly/Paul Chambers

Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter

Gerry Mulligan

Max Roach

Sonny Stitt

I have only bought two so far, but each time I ended up buying a set that I didn't think I would. Or I guess I bought it in less time than I thought about buying a different set, if that makes sense.

Before buying the Hodges, I was sure that my first would be the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh. And I spent months thinking about it. Then it was definitely the Django. Nope, Hodges it is!

Before I bought the Blue Mitchell I was pretty sure that Django would be next. Or perhaps J.J. Johnson.

So right now I'm pretty sure my next will be the Mobley, but lately it seems every time I play something that J.J. is a part of I'm really keyed in on him. And now other sets not mentioned above are "moving up," never mind the Selects!

In the end I figure no matter what I pick out, the odds are great that I'll be picking up something that's mighty nice!

Lat week I bought the Roy Eldridge set off the counter here in Sweden, and then thought it would put me off ordering from Mosaic for awhile.

But then there is the weak dollar... and to give a rough translation of a swedish saying; "a lot wants more"

I'm now considering the Hodges set possibly together with the Herman set (not to happy with all the vocals that reportedly take up a large part of the set) and/or Selects.