Where is Michael Fitzgerald?

ghost of miles

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all.

I'm not looking for any prodigal returns thing here!!! As far as I'm concerned a line is drawn under the previous disagreement. Time to move on.

[Oh! And Hi JSngry! Hope all is well with you. Excuse me if I don't post on your thread elsewhere but I think that one might need to disappear given the above.]

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Thank you for you kind words, Ed.

Just to clarify, I’ve not left this board in a huff! Been reading it daily and continue to enjoy and learn from it.

I’ve not posted here for a few weeks largely to avoid giving D’Imperio another opportunity to go off on one.

I’m not remotely sensitive with regard to the man – it’s just that I deal with 14 year old versions on a daily work basis (D’Imperio’s a real pansy compared with a few that I teach!). So I prefer to relax in a different atmosphere. I don’t care for gutter talk but am more than capable of ignoring it. I continue to believe vicious personal, racial and homophobic abuse needs to be challenged. If that makes me a puritan, well I’ll happily live with the label (a bit weird giving my Catholic upbringing!).

Ed is right – I was disappointed by a few members here who chose to treat him like a hero. It’s been amusing to watch some of their desperate attempts to ingratiate themselves with him (‘Tell us your stories’; ‘I’ve bought all your CDs’; ‘Look, I tried to get thrown off another board just to be like you’). The following painting comes to mind:

wallpaper1.gif

Incidentally, at no point have I asked for D'Imperio to be banned.

For the bulk of the membership here I retain the utmost respect and will continue to read your posts with enthusiasm.

Above all I feel Jim has done an excellent job in dealing with a very awkward situation.

I wish Jim and the Organissimo board every success in the future…and look forward to the band’s next album.

A couple of points here, if I may:

I think you exaggerate, Bev, a bit about others indulging DEEP. I don't think, for example, that Dan was currying any special favors with DEEP when he got banned from AAJ. You are likely reading more into this than there is. I have led him on in some gags, but I certainly don't stroke his ego. I have no agenda here and curry no favors from him.

As far as DEEP's "personal attacks" go, I do feel that he puts on a big show and it is really hard to know what he truly means. It's all a big gag.

You are definitely correct, however, in taking the discreet approach that you have done, in that DEEP seems to be the type of person who will lay into someone again and again and again if you happen to be within eyeshot. I fully understand and acknowledge your wisdom in laying low for awhile.

Hopefully, you will feel free to begin posting again on a regular basis once you feel the time is right to do so.

Again, glad you're back.

I think you exaggerate, Bev, a bit about others indulging DEEP. I don't think, for example, that Dan was currying any special favors with DEEP when he got banned from AAJ. You are likely reading more into this than there is. I have led him on in some gags, but I certainly don't stroke his ego. I have no agenda here and curry no favors from him.

As far as DEEP's "personal attacks" go, I do feel that he puts on a big show and it is really hard to know what he truly means. It's all a big gag.

As a relative outsider: DEEP's posts are garbage. The entire DEEP thread is garbage. I can only marvel that people put forth the proposition that there is anything there of even the least merit. I've gone through the thread: it's a bore. It's an embarrassment.

DEEP is kind of like a derelict masturbating in the street. It isn't fascinating. It isn't art. It's striking, but one's reaction really ought to be to turn quickly and walk away.

Change the medium from street scene to Internet, and now the derelict becomes the center of a willing and supportive crowd.

We were comparing the different jazz forums earlier. One of the discouraging things about this forum is that the most open public forum is dominated is dominated, is centered upon, this tiresome, juvenile, degrading thread.

This isn't a free speech issue: just like neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan and supporters of Al Qaida, DEEP ought to have every right to write what he pleases. Doesn't mean he gets to do it on my radio station, and it oughtn't mean he automatically gets to do it here, either.

In our age there are infinite fora for this kind of shit. Keeping it out of one is not tyrrany. It's called editing.

That DEEP gets cut so much slack for being a musician is a pretty sad statement.

I am sure this has all been written before, but Bev is certainly not alone in her dismay at the sycophantic attitude displayed by many toward DEEP. And it doesn't matter what he "means" by what he writes, what matters is what it is (you can read Mein Kampf as an elaborate satire, if you want).

DEEP's postings are shit.

Anyhow, I realize that there's more than one way of looking at this stuff.

--eric

• 2 weeks later...

So I hear the air is a bit fresher in here now.

It's nice to be remembered (especially if it's fondly), but for heaven's sake, it's not like I dropped off the face of the earth! I've got three websites running (some major updates to various discographies) and am certainly not incommunicado - I've had the same email address for nine years! If you think I've fallen and I can't get up, please drop me a line via email (I don't use the private message system).

Regarding why I haven't been around here - it's a matter of principle. I won't stay in a public place if there's some offensive asshole verbally attacking people. I'll get up and leave (and believe me, in a private place where I have any control, it's VERY different). If you find my contributions informative (and that could well be a big "if"), then the problem needs to be fixed. Apparently it has been, and I'll say that it's nice to be back and hope we don't see any more of the same. I look forward to catching up on a few things. I have no interest in the little soap operas of bulletin boards, only in rational, informed discussion of the music. But I will not tolerate someone with a history of attacking friends of mine without any provocation just because he can. I won't continue on as normal. The adulation laid on that person by others here is, to me, reprehensible. There is no excuse for such boorish behavior. However, I'm all for giving the people what they want. If that's what you prefer, you got it (well, at least you had it).

But enough about the bad old days -

Mike

Very slowly - we'll have to wait for the summer to devote serious time to it. Majority of time spent working on researching and updating various discographies, studying history of discography, as well as doing some original compositions and working on concert band composition projects. Did make some good contacts on the Grimes front at the IAJE conference in NYC.

Mike