Universal Music Italia box sets

Pleased about the Evans, but the Monk seems unnecessary since All Monk seems to have dealt with that material

Is the mastering the same between "the Complete Riverside" and the "All Monk"?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleased about the Evans, but the Monk seems unnecessary since All Monk seems to have dealt with that material

I think "All Monk" may not have all the outtakes, though I don't know for sure.

I fairly recently purchased "All Monk", and it does not have outtakes (I believe the set is a simple collection of the 16 original OJC CD releases). It also has a minimal booklet, consisting of images of original OJC booklet covers, track listings and personnel.

That's a cool looking set, what little I've heard has been intriguing.

It will be very good. I have been enjoying some of the individual Italian Blue Note CDs over recent weeks by the Quintet and they are consistently strong. Think Miles 'Sorcerer' period with an Italianate finish. They weren't very easy to find over here and just as I had found most of them second hand Universal put them out for cheap in a box, damn them. :)

Sonics on these CDs are excellent too.

Edited by sidewinder

I fairly recently purchased "All Monk", and it does not have outtakes (I believe the set is a simple collection of the 16 original OJC CD releases). It also has a minimal booklet, consisting of images of original OJC booklet covers, track listings and personnel.

Thanks, T.D., I've added that to the list.

Edited by Fer Urbina

Thanks. I have all the recent Keepnews/OJC remasters of Monk so I'll have to do an x-ref to see what, if anything, is in the box that isn't on those CDs. I'm hoping not a lot.

That's a cool looking set, what little I've heard has been intriguing.

It will be very good. I have been enjoying some of the individual Italian Blue Note CDs over recent weeks by the Quintet and they are consistently strong. Think Miles 'Sorcerer' period with an Italianate finish. They weren't very easy to find over here and just as I had found most of them second hand Universal put them out for cheap in a box, damn them. :)

Sonics on these CDs are excellent too.

Thanks. I placed an order.

The Fresu looks good. xybert I gotta disagree with you on GRP era Chick, some of it is hit or miss for me (the Akoustic band stuff is nice, but the production is too clean for me). I should have a soft spot for the Elektric Band from when I saw them live when I was 7 years old (I think I fell asleep, hehe) but that stuff even compared to RTF has not worn as well, in my opinion. Most GRP stuff does not stick for me at all, only a handful of albums (Brecker, Yellowjackets "Greenhouse") do. My friend loves GRP, especially when they were being distributed under Arista. We argue about that one :rofl: He played me this "amazing" GRP track, it was a Dave Valentin thing "Clove and Cinnamon". I would never get something like that or even listen to it personally, but it was more of a "blowing" track then I expected. But it's what he digs, so I'm accepting, he does like a lot of other good jazz, we have definite differences when it comes to that stuff and UA era BN. (I am giving him the BN Live at the Roxy and BN Meets the LA Philharmonic CD's)

Edited by CJ Shearn

here's a tracklisting of All Monk - The Riverside Albums, courtesy of jpc.de's:
Disk 1 von 16
1 It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
2 Sophisticated Lady
3 I got it bad (and that ain't good)
4 Black And Tan Fantasy
5 Mood Indigo
6 I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart
7 Solitude
8 Caravan
Disk 2 von 16
1 Liza (All The Clouds 'll Roll Away)
2 Memories Of You
3 Honeysuckle Rose
4 Darn That Dream
5 Tea For Two
6 You Are Too Beautiful
7 Just You, Just Me
Disk 3 von 16
1 Brilliant Corners
2 Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are
3 Pannonica
4 I Surrender, Dear
5 Bemsha Swing
Disk 4 von 16
1 April In Paris
2 I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You
3 Functional
4 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
5 I Should Care
6 'Round Midnight
7 'Round Midnight
8 All Alone
9 Monk's Mood
Disk 5 von 16
1 Abide With Me
2 Well, You Needn't
3 Ruby, My Dear
4 Off Minor
5 Off Minor
6 Epistrophy
7 Crepuscle With Nellie
8 Crepuscle With Nellie
Disk 6 von 16
1 Ruby, My Dear
2 Trinkle tinkle
3 Off Minor
4 Nutty
5 Epistrophy
6 Functional
Disk 7 von 16
1 'Round Midnight
2 Rhythm-A-Ning
3 Sweet And Lovely
4 Decidedly
5 Decidedly
6 Straight, No Chaser
7 Straight, No Chaser
8 I Mean You
9 I Mean You
Disk 8 von 16
1 Light Blue
2 Coming On The Hudson
3 Rhythm-A-Ning
4 Epistrophy
5 Blue Monk
6 Evidence
7 Epistrophy
8 Unidentified Solo Piano
9 Blues Five Spot
10 In Walked Bud / Epistrophy
Disk 9 von 16
1 Nutty
2 Blues Five Spot
3 Let's Cool One
4 In Walked Bud
5 Just A Gigolo
6 Misterioso
7 'Round Midnight
8 Evidence
Disk 10 von 16
1 Thelonious
2 Friday The 13th
3 Monk's Mood
4 Little Rootie Tootie
5 Off Minor
6 Crepuscule With Nellie
7 Little Rootie Tootie
Disk 11 von 16
1 Jackie-Ing
2 Straight, No Chaser
3 Played Twice
4 Played Twice
5 Played Twice
6 I Mean You
7 Ask Me Now
Disk 12 von 16
1 Blue Monk
2 Ruby, My Dear
3 Round Lights
4 Everything Happens To Me
5 You Took The Words Right Out Of My Heart
6 Bluehawk
7 Pannonica
8 Remember
9 There's Danger In Your Eyes, Cherie
10 There's Danger In Your Eyes, Cherie
11 Reflections
Disk 13 von 16
1 Let's Call This
2 Four in One
3 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
4 Epistrophy
5 Evidence
6 San Francisco Holiday (Worry Later)
7 'Round Midnight
8 Epistrophy
Disk 14 von 16
1 Well You Needn't
2 Off Minor
3 Just A Gigolo
4 I Mean You
5 Hackensack
6 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
7 Body And Soul
8 Crepuscule With Nellie
Disk 15 von 16
1 Jackie-Ing
2 Epistrophy
3 Body And Soul
4 Straight, No Chaser
5 Bemsha Swing
6 San Francisco Holiday
7 Crepuscule With Nellie
8 Rhythm-A-Ning
Disk 16 von 16
1 In Walked Bud
2 Blue Monk
3 Rhythm-A-Ning
4 Bye-Ya / Epistrophy
5 San Francisco Holiday
6 Four in One
7 Epistrophy
8 Jackie-Ing
9 April In Paris
10 Epistrophy
You don't get additional material from: "Brilliant Corners" (only "Pannonica (opening)", disc 3), "Thelonious Himself" (plenty of alt tks, disc 4), "Monk's Music" (disc 5, plenty of alt tks, also missing from the above box of course is the Monk-less "Blues for Tomorrow", which is prety nice), you don't get "Coming on the Hudson" by the sextet that did but that one tune on Feb 25, 1958 (Byrd, Griffin, Pepper Adams, Monk, Ware, Philly Joe). You then don't get the Clark Terry album with Monk, of course.
However, you do get most of the additional takes for "Mulligan Meets Monk" (disc 7 - there's one more alt tk of "I Mean You" around, but frankly that date doesn't really come off, I think).
Also, you do get the July 9, 1958 Five Spot material that was added on the OJCCD reissues of "Thelonious in Action" and "Misterioso" (and previously on "Blues Five Spot", Milestone 9124, which is the source of the sextet track as well - discs 8 and 9).
You also seem to get (disc 16, #1-3) the Feb 28, 1959 studio date with Rouse, Sam Jones and A.T. (originally on "Evidence", Milestone 9115).
You also get both takes of "Little Rootie Tootie" from Town Hall (disc 10).
You also get the full versions of "5 by Monk by 5" (disc 11) and "Thelonious Alone in San Francisco" (disc 12).
I'm not sure what's what on the last three discs though ... the complete Riverside box has 14 tracks from the sessions with Joe Gordon and Harold Land added to the quartet (which by then consisted of Rouse, John Ore and Billy Higgins) plus 20 tracks from the European concerts (LPs: Thelonious Monk in Europe", Vols 1-3, Riverside RLP 002, RLP 003, and RLP 004).
"All Monk" has 26 tracks, minus the three from the above-mentioned Rouse date, makes 23, instead of 34 ...

Well, what's missing on the OJCCDs is little - the sextet title and the three quartet tracks from Town Hall. Plus probably some from the San Francisco and European concerts.

But yes, the new complete set definitely should be the best if you want the full package - which of course every self-respecting jazz listener should ;)

• 1 month later...

New box from Italy, although it looks like it'll be redundant for most people here.

Herbie Hancock - The Blue Note Albums

If the specs are correct, the CDs are identical to most recent (RVG) reissues, except for the missing alternate take of "Mimosa" in Inventions and Dimensions.

Albums included are

1. Takin' Off
  2. My Point of View
  3. Inventions and Dimensions
  4. Empyrean Isles
  5. Maiden Voyage
  6. Speak Like A Child
  7. The Prisoner

F

New box from Italy, although it looks like it'll be redundant for most people here.

Herbie Hancock - The Blue Note Albums

If the specs are correct, the CDs are identical to most recent (RVG) reissues, except for the missing alternate take of "Mimosa" in Inventions and Dimensions.

Albums included are

1. Takin' Off
  2. My Point of View
  3. Inventions and Dimensions
  4. Empyrean Isles
  5. Maiden Voyage
  6. Speak Like A Child
  7. The Prisoner

F

Had to smile thinking about this is where we sometimes have to do sanity checks: "Can I live without an alternate take of Mimosa?". I've gone both ways on similar questions, so I'm looking at myself as much as anyone else. I am finding that in my old age, I value listenability experience, don't like the "library" sets that include the alternate takes adjacent to the master take. Much prefer them at the end of the album.

• 4 months later...

Another box that will be redundant for most of us.

Wayne Shorter - The Blue Note Albums

It includes the following albums:

1. Night Dreamer
  2. Juju
  3. Speak No Evil
  4. The Soothsayer
  5. Etcetera
  6. All-Seeing Eye
  7. Adam's Apple
  8. Schizophrenia
  9. Supernova
  10. Moto Grosso Feio
  11. Odyssey of Iska

F

Is that list in the chronological order of the recording dates?

1. Night Dreamer
  2. Juju
  3. Speak No Evil
  4. The Soothsayer
  5. Etcetera
  6. All-Seeing Eye
  7. Adam's Apple
  8. Schizophrenia
  9. Supernova
  10. Moto Grosso Feio
  11. Odyssey of Iska

F

I've put the albums in the same order as they come in the box according to the Italian site, but yes, they were recorded in that order too according to this.

F

PS: According to Wikipedia, they were also released in that order, except Moto Grosso Feio, which came out after Odyssey...

Edited by Fer Urbina

1. Night Dreamer
  2. Juju
  3. Speak No Evil
  4. The Soothsayer
  5. Etcetera
  6. All-Seeing Eye
  7. Adam's Apple
  8. Schizophrenia
  9. Supernova
  10. Moto Grosso Feio
  11. Odyssey of Iska

F

I've put the albums in the same order as they come in the box according to the Italian site, but yes, they were recorded in that order too according to this.

F

PS: According to Wikipedia, they were also released in that order, except Moto Grosso Feio, which came out after Odyssey...

Etcetera and Soothsayer weren't released until years later.

1. Night Dreamer
  2. Juju
  3. Speak No Evil
  4. The Soothsayer
  5. Etcetera
  6. All-Seeing Eye
  7. Adam's Apple
  8. Schizophrenia
  9. Supernova
  10. Moto Grosso Feio
  11. Odyssey of Iska

F

F

1. Night Dreamer
  2. Juju
  3. Speak No Evil
  4. The Soothsayer
  5. Etcetera
  6. All-Seeing Eye
  7. Adam's Apple
  8. Schizophrenia
  9. Supernova
  10. Moto Grosso Feio
  11. Odyssey of Iska

F

F

THANKS!

Note that the Shorter box only carries a thin booklet with no liner notes, only discography and tiny reproductions of original LP covers.

F

• 6 months later...

It seems that Universal has finally jumped on the 5-CD set bandwagon started by WEA and followed by Sony (or vice versa?). They've released eight such sets, which are listed at the end of post #1 of this thread, since they seem to come from the Italian branch of the label. 

You can also see those, here.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina