Armando Peraza 1924-2014

HolgerFreimutSchrick

I heard him with Santana first, a bit before I realized that George Shearing made anything other than easy-listening elevator-jazz records. But the path did lead back.

That's a long life he had playing a lot of music with a lot of fine, fine players. Hard to say who was more blessed, him or his listeners. Maybe that's the point, to have it all even out like that.

RIP, and muchas gracias, con el máximo respeto.

R.I.P.

Duncan Reid told me Armando was the only Tjader alumnus that refused to be interviewed - he pretty much withdrew from the public after he stopped playing with Santana. The sessions released on the 10' LP Cal Tjader Plays Afroc-Cuban, reissued on Los Ritmos Calientes, were recorded under Peraza's name, but released as a Tjader album, much to his disapointment - Tjader had no influence on this. We corrected this in the discography by listing Peraza as a co-leader.

He was the top bongo player on the scene, along with Buyu (José Mangual, sr.) - with him, the great specialized bongo masters are all gone, I'm afraid. Hear him soloing on Big Noise From Winetka on the LP mentioned, on on Santana's Borboletta - unsurpassed.

7/4, the recent Blu Ray "Invitation to Illumination" of Carlos' with McLaughlin is worth it too. John revisits "Vashkar" and "Vuelta Abajo" in a quartet with Benny Rietveld, David K. Matthews on organ, and Cindy Blackman, and it's smoking. They pretty much cover the entire "Love, Devotion, Surrender" album too. It's the first concert I've seen on video, where Santana hasn't been cut to ribbons by another guitarist, like Buddy Guy, or McLaughlin himself on the "Hymns for Peace" video.