Idris Muhammed RIP

david weiss

The best Idris Muhammad performance I ever saw was in Kansas City, when he performed in a group headed by guitarist Rodney Jones, with Arthur Blythe, Fred Wesley and Dr. Lonnie Smith, He was incredible, as they all were. I literally ran as fast as I could for three blocks through a heavy rainstorm to get to that concert. It was well worth it.

And Fred Wesley?!? James Brown's Fred Wesley? Sounds interesting.

I never had the opportunity to see him perform in person, but I was enjoying his playing recently after picking up Ahmad Jamal's The Essence, Part 1 (Jamal loves New Orleans drummers, and rightfully so!). His drumming on Grant Green's Live at Club Mozambique is a work of funky genius; I'd pay handsomely to hear the unreleased material from that run. Thank you for the music, Mr. Muhammad, and rest in peace.

Here is a link to an obituary from The Times-Picayune.

The best Idris Muhammad performance I ever saw was in Kansas City, when he performed in a group headed by guitarist Rodney Jones, with Arthur Blythe, Fred Wesley and Dr. Lonnie Smith, He was incredible, as they all were. I literally ran as fast as I could for three blocks through a heavy rainstorm to get to that concert. It was well worth it.

And Fred Wesley?!? James Brown's Fred Wesley? Sounds interesting.

It was interesting. From Fred Wesley's autobiography,"Hit Me Fred-Recollections of a Sideman" (a memorable book, by the way), I learned that Fred played in Count Basie's big band in the late 1970s, after leaving Bootsy Collins. In any event, he played very well that evening in his jazz solos. He also sang a funk song, but I don't remember the title.

I first hear Muhammed on several Randy Weston albums. You know if Weston is using him, you've got a drummer supreme.

I very much agree about his fine work on Soul Manifesto.

He also spent some time with Joe Lovano, and in fact I saw him live when he was with Lovano's nonet (he was not on the records). Man, he sounded great, and Joe and Idris locked in at times with a Trane/Elvin force.

Edited by Milestones

• 9 years later...

Had no idea, thanks for the heads up!  Love me some of those great Crystals records, some of the big hits with Brooks on lead vocals ("Uptown", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "Then He Kissed Me"), and the ringer gigantic hit ("He's a Rebel") with the magnificent Darlene Love emoting the vocals

2 hours ago, felser said:

Had no idea, thanks for the heads up!  Love me some of those great Crystals records, some of the big hits with Brooks on lead vocals ("Uptown", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "Then He Kissed Me"), and the ringer gigantic hit ("He's a Rebel") with the magnificent Darlene Love emoting the vocals

Good voices indeed ....