John Carter - Bobby Bradford Self Determination Music

Dan Gould

This group and their modest output of four LPs has been my greatest obscure listening pleasure for about 16 years.

I wish it had not taken almost ten years to find them after I got interested in jazz.

now is the time to search for new Bradfords - there a bunch of good ones.

Indeed!

The OOP "Kampen" from NoBusiness (vinyl only) is very much worth looking for, too ... in addition to "Silver Cornet" that is, which needn't be "looked for", rather than just be bought!

• 4 weeks later...

First spin - nice record BUT....

Compared to Flight for Four, the sound (remaster quality??) isn't anywhere as good and I think the two basses lessen the groove. The session never gets to those rare heights that 2 or 3 of the 5 tunes on the International Phonograph re-issue hits. Everything here is less pronounced, less exciting and less captivating to me as a listener. I wonder loudly how much of this bad to do with the session or the remastering.

Glad I have it but I wish Jonathan could have handled the reissue.

Folks seem to be forgetting that it was Martin Davidson who issued the first Carter/Bradford on CD about twenty years ago, and has kept it continuously in print, even remastered it again. That was followed a couple of years later by Hat's CD reissue of Comin' On, which was around a long time and subsequently again remastered by them. Then the 2006 Hat CD reissue of Seeking.

It is good that Emanem and Hat kept the door open for the more complete treatment this catalog is now getting in the twilight of CD.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I am listening to the LP reissue. It does sound a bit muddy. The sax and trumpet are too far back in the mix. Similar to the CD from the comments above. I am also wondering why Henry Franklin who I understand is the second bass player is not credited on the sleeve. 

That said, there are some great performances on this.