The USPS SUCKS

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is fucking  infuriating. Large Discogs order of CDs ... shipped from NJ. Tracking now says it went to Dayton Ohio and was delivered and left with an individual.

Either USPS tracking is completely wonky or I am permanently screwed as seller has the "won't be responsible for 'lost, stolen ..." shipping condition and I never ask for insurance. And yes, if you're wondering, there is a South County Line Rd in Dayton.

with tracking available, you should contact your local post office.  they scan at delivery which will show actual address deliivered.  I live on Rosanne Circle and once had a package delivered to nearby Janette Circle.  I called about it and they tracked it down and got it to me

Edited by Michael

1 hour ago, Michael said:

with tracking available, you should contact your local post office.  they scan at delivery which will show actual address deliivered.  I live on Rosanne Circle and once had a package delivered to nearby Janette Circle.  I called about it and they tracked it down and got it to me

I can try this, but how do they track it down when it was handed to an individual? They go out and ask about it at the address? Nothing to stop someone from opening it, finding used CDs and getting what they can from the nearest record store.

If Janette Circle is that close, had I received such a thing I'd have delivered it to you.

I've realized I actually have a claim for a refund with the seller, his policy be damned. He generated the label, and I would bet he got the wrong city/state on there and that's the basis for the mess up. We've all had wonky tracking records, sent hither and yon, how many have actually ended up "out for delivery" in the wrong city and state?  Isn't there a set of human eyes looking at the address at that point?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I wonder if Dayton has any record stores?

I think Dayton is still a large enough city to have one or two. I have no idea if its become a hipster-doofus paradise and they have over-priced vinyl because that's what the kids go for, doncha know.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I think Dayton is still a large enough city to have one or two. I have no idea if its become a hipster-doofus paradise and they have over-priced vinyl because that's what the kids go for, doncha know.

Wow, they are showing many!

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Vinyl+Record+Stores&find_loc=Dayton%2C+OH

13 hours ago, Michael said:

If you paid with PayPal put in a claim, if you used a credit card, do that if PayPal fails.

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I can try this, but how do they track it down when it was handed to an individual? They go out and ask about it at the address? Nothing to stop someone from opening it, finding used CDs and getting what they can from the nearest record store.

If Janette Circle is that close, had I received such a thing I'd have delivered it to you.

I've realized I actually have a claim for a refund with the seller, his policy be damned. He generated the label, and I would bet he got the wrong city/state on there and that's the basis for the mess up. We've all had wonky tracking records, sent hither and yon, how many have actually ended up "out for delivery" in the wrong city and state?  Isn't there a set of human eyes looking at the address at that point?

As a Discogs seller I always copy and paste the buyer’s address to make the label and include the address with the packing slip. I haven’t had any packages lost, though one padded envelope was returned to me torn open and empty after 2 months in the mail. At that point I started requiring insurance on all orders.

14 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I got a book with tracking once that was not only not addressed to me, but not anyone on our street or in our subdivision m. I put it back in my box and hope it made it to its destination. 

Good luck with that. Too much "smarm" for me on Discogs.!!!

I can’t say I have had any issues as a buyer on Discogs, other than occasional oversight of a promo stamp, hole punch or clipped booklet.

I have had a few problems as a Discogs seller, like a guy who claimed he didn’t mean to make an offer on a $150 LP set or a crook who claimed two different orders had scuffed LPs. I blocked both of them and added to my seller page that all unsealed LPs and jackets are photographed prior to packing.

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Good luck with that. Too much "smarm" for me on Discogs.!!!

I have only made a few purchase on Discogs, but all were fine.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Back in my "wholesale days" (30 years ago) Dayton was a great town to visit. I no longer remember the name of the store, but they were a great customer AND I usually picked up something for my collection.

I buy a lot from discogs. Have taken a strong dislike to Amazon (their absurdly garbled classical database basically says "Fuck you" to customers), and the signal / noise ratio of eBay price listings is not good. But I only buy CDs, so have fewer potential grading and shipping issues.

Only have had one subpar buying experience on discogs. A really cheap classical box set (Holmboe complete string quartets on Da Capo) turned out to be lacking the booklet. I thought it could have been an honest mistake, and the set's not exactly a cornerstone of my collection, so let it slide.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:59 AM, Dan Gould said:

Update:

Well since I felt that no option was very appealing or likely to succeed in any way, I've left this entirely alone.

So you can imagine my surprise to find a box by the garage door when I ran out last night on a grocery run. 

And remarkably, I discovered this morning that there was no update at all to the tracking history, still shows delivered to an individual in Dayton OH last week, yet it must have gone back into the system, was never scanned once, and got to me intact.

(And if you're wondering, the rest of the mail was on top of the box, so no, no one in Dayton hand-delivered it to Florida.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am holding my breath about a huge record order arriving intact tomorrow. The package came from New York to Knoxville, then Nashville before heading to greater Chattanooga. There is no logic to the USPS as they frequently send mail in the wrong direction, at least they didn’t send it to California first. A huge overhaul is needed.