There's Some CHEATIN' a-Goin' On!

JSngry

What happened to all the mixed and negative reviews?

No surprises, really, but if there are still illusions being harbored about the music business being a business before it's anything else, I offer this as exhibit #578,932,489,354-AAC.

The Blue Note Street Team at its best. ;)

Edited by Matthew

Sad but not surprising. But ya gotta love this Wynton reviewer:

Wynton must be one of the greatest musicians ever. Only the best get bashed by those too ignorant and close-minded to see the beauty and goodness. Take Jesus, for example. So to all of the Wynton bashers, take the time to see the beauty and goodness in Wynton's music; maybe, if you get rid of your pre-conceptions, you'll be able to have a positive and rewarding life. (Those who bash Wynton are either very jealous and vain or very ignorant, close-minded, angry, and negative. Even if Wynton is not the best, you can still find the beauty in his music, and maybe then you will be able to find the beauty in your life).

:blink::wacko:

I'm not surprised at all that the reviews were pulled. There were too many blatant shots at SACD and Wynton-bashing by people who were just using Norah's album as an SACD platform or just to bash Wynton (has his album even been released yet?).

I also can't criticize BN for pulling them as I think it's just as wrong (and undermining to the review process) to load up on the jibes just out of spite as it is to edit out the bad ones to make the product look superior.

Quite frankly, I put no real credence in any review that doesn't have a name or address attached - and even then I doubt its legitimacy. :(

No offense taken.

Both of my younger brothers are lawyers, my father is a retired minister and a historian/biographer.

About ten years ago my wife was pushing me to make more money and I took a battery of vocational tests to hopefully find a clue, something that the test would show that I would excel at, that would stand out from other occupations.

I took the tests and the analyzer/counselor told me "Great news! You've scored highly on almost all factors, from manual dexterity to language skills, with manual dexterity and language skills being the two highest, which is unusual--you could do almost ANYTHING!"

I was visibly disappointed and she was puzzled. I have a ton of interests and always knew that I am reasonably equipped with skills to pursue them, and was looking for that ONE, you know, that BEACON that would say "YOU SHOULD DO THIS!" so I asked her: what one or two things do you think I would really be good at.

She looked up from the results and said "With your language skills you should consider becoming either a lawyer, or a minister."

I was again visibly disappointed, and dropped the whole getting a new career thing altogether, and instead knuckled under at work trying to get a coworker who was tormenting me to stop, and instead got a transfer to Human Resources where my wages increased over a few years by about 40% . . . .

So yeah, I probably would make a good politician. BUT so far I've resisted the urge!

Edited by jazzbo

Am I wrong for actually being interested in hearing the Marsalis disc?

Not at all. I'm curious too, though my expectations aren't all that high.

That said, I hope it's the best album of Marsalis' career.

I'm pretty much in the same boat: interested, but not terribly hopeful based on the samples. But who knows?

I must guiltily acknowledge that I really liked the Marciac Suite from a couple years ago. I thought it had a warmth his music generally hasn't had.

--eric