can I get it done? future projects

AllenLowe

summer and Fall recording projects (well, maybe in the next year):

1) 4 piece band - me, Matt Shipp, Kevin Ray and, yes, Ken Peplowski (who loves John Carter, btw) -

2) 5 piece band - me, Hammiet Bluiett, Ava Mendoza, and some players to be named later - (Mary Lou Williams project thing; my music, though)

3) me with Nels Cline; sort of a blue/gospel thing

4) a women's project - me, Carol Castellano, Ursula Oppens, Ava Mendoza, Stephanie Richards, Matsuki Miki

5) band with me, Kirk Knuffke, Curtis Hasselbring, plus rhythm; think Max Roach, 1959

6) band with me, Bobby Zankel, Lou Grassi, Lewis Porter, Paul Austerlitz, Ken Ray; Chris Meeder; Randy Sandke

can it be done? Small loan, most of the music is already written; wanna get it done and then stop writing, as it's becoming something of an obsession -

Edited by AllenLowe

1) 4 piece band - me, Matt Shipp, Kevin Ray and, yes, Ken Peplowski (who loves John Carter, btw) -

No kidding about Ken Peplowski (?) I met him in Eugene, OR when we got snowed in. Same night he was playing, Ernie Watts was playing. I'd been listening to a Ken Peplowski recording that was disappointing (not all are), so I opted for Ernie Watts. No regrets, but maybe I should have caught him live. Seemed like a nice enough guy in the Hilton lobby.

Good luck with your projects - some or all.

Edited by BeBop

Here is Ken Peplowski on John Carter from a Ted Panken BFT:

" John Carter, “Encounter” (from “Comin’ On,” Hat Art, 1988) Carter, clarinet; Bobby Bradford, cornet; Don Preston, synthesizer; Richard Davis, bass; Andrew Cyrille, drums.

PEPLOWSKI: I like this very much. The writing sounds a little bit influenced by Miles, and I love the use of electronics as pure sound sometimes instead of trying to imitate another instrument. It’s pretty refreshing. [PAUSE]

John Carter. Guessed it. As soon as he started doing the upper register thing, I knew it was him. [PAUSE]

As most stars as I can give, 5-6, whatever. This is very refreshing music to me. I think it’s completely not pretentious. It’s fresh, it’s exciting, interesting writing and playing, and the use of electronics is really well done and really integrated into the ensemble. It’s really great. [PAUSE] The thing that strikes me is that it really sounds like a band playing together. This is the way music is supposed to be. And John Carter is completely unbridled. It’s really open. I have a feeling that he does exactly what he wants to do, and he doesn’t have any limits to what he’s trying to achieve. It’s great. I think his music is as important, maybe more so, than Ornette’s music as far as this kind of thing. The writing is as interesting, and I just love the way they use the electronics. It’s really free and open, and yet at the same time it’s got a structure to it, and everybody is listening and reacting to each other.

TP: Talk about his clarinet style. Is he an innovative clarinet player?

PEPLOWSKI: He’s innovative in the sense that he does on the clarinet what people like Ornette and maybe Eric Dolphy did on the saxophone. He kind of plays completely free and open… You know, a lot of clarinet players sound a little bit too controlled. It’s part of the nature of the instrument. You’re taught from the beginning that you have to play with this rigid embouchure, and the ideal sound on the clarinet is this wooden, kind of round sound, and as soon as you start fluctuating from that, the tone kind of goes. The technique is a little bit difficult. So it’s refreshing to hear somebody that’s gone past some of those restrictions. The only way I can describe is he’s a completely open player, which on the clarinet is kind of rare to hear.

The Bobby Bradford-John Carter was definitely the best thing I heard, because it’s the most refreshing. Frankly, sometimes I get bored just hearing the same things over and over. Sometimes you get the feeling that it’s all been played, and then you hear something like that, and you realize there’s life yet in music. It’s an eye-opener.