Herschel Evans

Late

The notations in parentheses are indications of the tempo. F means fast. M means medium, and S means slow. The combinations follow the same pattern, so, for example, MF means medium fast.

If you go to the website, the format and methodology are explained.

• 7 years later...
12 hours ago, Late said:

I didn't realize that Evans was only 28 when he died. I still need to hear those Harry James sides.

Biographies are your friends 😁 (from Feather and Chilton through New Grove to present-day tomes). - No, more seriously: I think in those long-gone days many musicians managed to cram much more accomplishments "for eternity" into their younger pro years than has become the typical case in rather recent decades. Chu Berry was only 31 when he died too.

As for the Harry James sides, have you been unable to score a copy of the HEP CD that Mike suggested? It's still listed as being available on the Hep website:

https://www.hepjazz.com/hep_jazz_1000_series.html#anchorbasie

Or would this be uneconomical because you already have all the Basie tracks? (Understandable, then ...) Anyway ... unearthing of this thread has prompted me to pull out my copy of TAX m-8015 (Harry James "Texas Chatter") and give it a spin. Very welcome!

As for other suggestions (that should have come up since this thread started), how about the Herschel Evans presence on the Count Basie Orchestra airshots and the Lionel Hampton Jam Session included in the "Savory Sessions" box set on Mosaic?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Anyway...unearthing of this thread has prompted me to pull out my copy of TAX m-8015 (Harry James "Texas Chatter") and give it a spin. Very welcome!

As for other suggestions (that should have come up since this thread started), how about the Herschel Evans presence on the Count Basie Orchestra airshots and the Lionel Hampton Jam Session included in the "Savory Sessions" box set on Mosaic?

👍👍

I stumbled onto this just this morning...!!!

Apparently Phil Schaap originally compiled these 77 minutes of Evans solos.