Marcus Belgrave, R.I.P (1936-2015)

Mark Stryker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have most (maybe all?) of Belgrave's Tribe-related recordings -- but I'm wondering what of his sideman work specifically from the 60's and 70's is most important, in terms of space he gets to solo.

I think the only other thing I have in that regard is the Curtis Amy side (literally one side) on Pacific (on the Select, and as bonus tracks on Katanga!). But other than that, I've never taken the plunge on anything else. I do seem to remember seeing his name come up on some obscure releases on the Dusty Groove site -- including some things that I'd never seen listed on-line in any of his other credits (i.e. All Music, or other on-line discographies). Did he ever record under a pseudonym? - I seem to remember super-vaguely a piece of Dusty Groove prose that suggested something like that.

Anyway, outside of what he did on/for Tribe, what's the most significant Belgrave to pick up in terms of his 60's and 70's sideman work? (Thanks!)

I should also note Marcus' two best recordings under his own name were made for his own label in the 1990s and while they were not widely distributed, you can find them with a little searching: "Marcus Belgrave with Detroit's Jazz Piano Legacy, Vol. 1" and "Working Together." I can't recommend these highly enough, especially the former, which includes performances with the Tommy Flanagan Trio and other tracks with Geri Allen and Gary Schunk (a terrific pianist and local hero not many know about outside of Michigan).

http://www.freep.com/…/marcus-belgrave-recordings…/27885363/

Thanks for this recommendation, Jazz piano legacy is on Spotify, I enjoyed it so much I picked up the CD.

I have most (maybe all?) of Belgrave's Tribe-related recordings -- but I'm wondering what of his sideman work specifically from the 60's and 70's is most important, in terms of space he gets to solo.

I think the only other thing I have in that regard is the Curtis Amy side (literally one side) on Pacific (on the Select, and as bonus tracks on Katanga!). But other than that, I've never taken the plunge on anything else. I do seem to remember seeing his name come up on some obscure releases on the Dusty Groove site -- including some things that I'd never seen listed on-line in any of his other credits (i.e. All Music, or other on-line discographies). Did he ever record under a pseudonym? - I seem to remember super-vaguely a piece of Dusty Groove prose that suggested something like that.

Anyway, outside of what he did on/for Tribe, what's the most significant Belgrave to pick up in terms of his 60's and 70's sideman work? (Thanks!)

Suggest starting with Roland Alexander's "Pleasure Bent" (1961) -- Marcus gets featured billing on that. He gets nice space on Fathead Newman's debut: "Fathead, Ray Charles Presents David 'Fathead' Newman" -- check out "Willow Weep for Me." He's also on about half of "Fathead Comes On." An under-the-radar disc from much later where he gets lots of space is Horace Tapscott's "Aiee! The Phantom" (Arabesque) from 1995. He's on three tunes on Lenny White's Freddie Hubbard tribute, "Hub Art" (1996 on Hip Bop) -- "Crisis," "Pensativa," "Little Sunflower." He's all over the ensemble on McCoy's "La Leyenda de la Hora" (1981) but plays only one solo -- a good one on "Walk Spirit, Talk Spirit." Otherwise, let me repeat what I said above: HIs best records as a leader are "Marcus Belgrave with Detroit's Jazz Piano Legacy, Vol. 1" and "Working Together." Definitely look for those if you haven't heard them.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Coda: Not long after arriving in Detroit, Marcus led a recording date for Motown that was to be part of a short-lived jazz subsidiary. There were 8 tunes recorded over two days in June 1963. The personnel is Marcus on trumpet, Bennie Maupin (tenor), Pepper Adams (bari), George Bohanon and Paul Riser (trombones), Cecil McBee (bass) and George Goldsmith (drums). The record was never issued, but it is almost certain that the tapes exist in the Universal vaults. No one I know has ever heard any of this. I'm trying to run some connections ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

My interview may have been the first Down Beat published about Marcus Belgrave (Nov. 7, 1974). I may have heard him at the South Bend Armory with Ray Charles in 1960. The band opened with an hour of "Moanin," "Sister Sadie," such, with I believe Hank Crawford playing piano, before Ray & Raylettes came onstage and sang for over an hour. Quite a happy night.

That reminds me of one of Ray Charles' bands that went over to Europe in the 70s with Marcus and bob harris playing second keyboard for Ray.

Harris was most influenced by the Detroit jazz musicians, and Marcus was probably his only contact with the real thing. I wonder if they ever recorded together?

I've got 40+ years of Down Beat in my closet too -- subscriber for decades since '76, now single copy buyer, bought various collections and single issues over the years to fill in gaps so pretty complete back to 1972 or so, sporadic before that, but lots and lots in 1959-61.

Fun for the whole family! Well, maybe just me. But invaluable for research purposes and opening a window on various eras.