Innocent Words You Just Can't Trust About People You Don't Kno

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzz words in general.

Getting worse (almost) by the hour, I feel, in the name of impact-making and customer baiting on the one hand and political "correctness" on the other.

Speaking of which, just reading Tubby Hayes' bio (about halfway through). Great, but how much of a less trustworthy ("derogatory") term is "journeyman" in connection with a musician and his credentials as used TODAY? ;)

"Awesome". The overuse of this word to describe everything and every one nowadays really irritates me. Awesome should be used in rare circumstances -- to describe the Grand Canyon, the Taj Mahal, holding a newborn child -- not to describe your lunch or your last workout session.

"Awesome". The overuse of this word to describe everything and every one nowadays really irritates me. Awesome should be used in rare circumstances -- to describe the Grand Canyon, the Taj Mahal, holding a newborn child -- not to describe your lunch or your last workout session.

Yes! I'm notorious at work for going off on one when a younger colleague describes the fact that I've offered them a cup of tea as 'Awesome!'

'Cool' is another. I'm sure that disappeared as a hipster word for a while (in the UK at least) - when I was growing up it wasn't used. Seemed to reappear in the 90s.

There a nasty bit of manipulation going on at present. Our re-elected government has appropriated the term 'working people'. Slowly the expression 'working class' is being neutralised; 'working people' are now differentiated from 'those scroungers on benefits'. I know - getting too political....but the manipulation of language is very much about power.

There a nasty bit of manipulation going on at present. Our re-elected government has appropriated the term 'working people'. Slowly the expression 'working class' is being neutralised; 'working people' are now differentiated from 'those scroungers on benefits'. I know - getting too political....but the manipulation of language is very much about power.

Hear, hear!

:tup :tup

Another one in a similar vein:

The German "one-affirmative-fits-all" phrase best translated literally as "I am with you (on this or that matter)" which is really getting used to death, even way outside any business talks. Why can't they just say "I agree"? I for one would certainly not want each and everyone at random to be (that close) "with me". :cool:

We're not hearing "I hear what you say" so much these days - fortunately, as the speaker usually means "I completely disagree with you".

Rather like that other weasel expression beloved of politicians, "with respect", which probably amounts to "fuck you".