Top 10 Ornette Coleman pieces

Milestones

Pretty hard to pick ten favourites, but some favourites off the top of my head this morning:

Chippie (Something Else!!!!)

Free (Change of the Century)

Faces and Places (At the Golden Circle Vol. 1)

What Reason Could I Give (Science Fiction)

Street Woman (Science Fiction)

Law Years (Science Fiction)

Police People (Song X - Twentieth Anniversary)

3 Wishes (Virgin Beauty)

yeah, at the end of the day I'm with you, probably.

I like "Blues Connotation" a lot. And "First Take." :)

Yeah, First Take says about 90% of Free Jazz in half the time - I'd put that out on one side of an album and some of the as of then unissued things on the other instead of splitting Free Jazz in two. In Dana's Perfect Fantasy World....

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Right, I'd have done that or something very much like it instead of Free Jazz - a whole album devoted to one tune smacks of hype and putting a faded out and back in break in it just stops the flow, IMHO. really 20-25 minutes should be enuff to get most anything said. On the other hand, People In Sorrow is a work of genius that totally justifies its length, just wish there was a proper CD version with no break in the middle.

Barely half-a-dozen that probably qualify as really true "Standards" (alas) -- and yet, I'm having trouble narrowing down a list to just 10 titles.

Just skimming his discography (pulling out tunes based on name recognition alone), I'm easily up to over 20 titles that I remember as being really key (at least for me) -- and I know I'd have to go back and actually listen to most of them, to narrow the list. Plus I'm sure there are 2-3 more tunes that aren't the usual, that I can never remember the titles of -- which I always think are way underrated.

Not that everything he did/wrote is up there, but there's a lot that is!

I just can´t rate them, I love them all.

But I´d like to mention "Garden of Souls" which is really a pretty thing.

"Love Call" is great

On the album Ornette at 12 are beautiful things, the first tune , I think it´s titled "New York", there is also a version of that tune with string quartet "Prime Design/Time Design".

And I shouldn´t forget "Good Old Days" from the "Empty Foxhole", because that was the first Ornette Coleman I heard when I was a kid......

Turnaround is a classic, too. Especially the way he plays it on Sound Grammar.

Have any of you heard Don Cherry singing the head to "The Sphinx" on that Pharoah Sander's box from ESP Disk? He breaks down the composition's parts as he's scatting them.

agreed ....

Didn't realize the CD was so hard to come by - the LP is pretty easy to find, and excellent indeed.

Not really, at least not over here, though I gather many hate this series:

517tuNqn9yL.jpg

but then, anyone should have "Beauty Is a Rare Thing" anyway, as it does contain several tracks not available elsewhere (first released in the box)