Bob Dylan - The Cutting Edge - Bootleg Series 12

felser

It would suit me probably too. . . but I can't help but wonder what those takes of Visions of Johanna (one of my favorite Dylan works of all time) sound like as I love the one they put on Bootleg Vol.7 more than the original released take. . . and a whole disc of the evolution of Like a Rolling Stone? I want to hear that.

It would suit me probably too. . . but I can't help but wonder what those takes of Visions of Johanna (one of my favorite Dylan works of all time) sound like as I love the one they put on Bootleg Vol.7 more than the original released take. . . and a whole disc of the evolution of Like a Rolling Stone? I want to hear that.

don`t get me wrong, the 6-CD set looks tempting nevertheless .....

At this moment, I don't know that I need any of it.  An entire disc of LARS?  To offer an analogy, I love Charlie Chaplin shorts.  They're a marvel of lyricism, humor and astonishment.  In the '90's, a series appeared called The Unknown Chaplin.  Through outtakes, it showed the painstaking work that went into his short films.  For me, it removed the magic: I saw the work that went into the films rather than simply being able to enjoy them.

Somebody please tell me that there's a bootleg of the complete Like A Rolling Stone session, but only if it's raw, unedited/uncut/unmixed session tape, like some of the Sinatra things, tapes start rolling and never stop. Listening to it as "excerpts" would be tedious, but hearing it all unfold naturally, in real time, that's got epic potential, although in Sinatra's case, the "perfect take" was in fact just that, there's an element of hunt leading to capture that is compelling, and on the rare occasion when Sinatra goes past that perfect take, he knows what he's done and stops it from going any further. Was the released "Like A Rolling Stone" taken (more or less) for a single take? Even at that, I might be good to listen to it.

just looked at the hoffman site - the 18CD set contains lots of breakdowns & incomplete takes

the way the aussie dollar is at present, the set will cost over $1000 i.e. $55 per disc

Maybe good for a library or archival situation but how many times would you listen to this material - the 6CD set seems ideal to me

Somebody please tell me that there's a bootleg of the complete Like A Rolling Stone session, but only if it's raw, unedited/uncut/unmixed session tape, like some of the Sinatra things, tapes start rolling and never stop. Listening to it as "excerpts" would be tedious, but hearing it all unfold naturally, in real time, that's got epic potential, although in Sinatra's case, the "perfect take" was in fact just that, there's an element of hunt leading to capture that is compelling, and on the rare occasion when Sinatra goes past that perfect take, he knows what he's done and stops it from going any further. Was the released "Like A Rolling Stone" taken (more or less) for a single take? Even at that, I might be good to listen to it.

@ Jim, Yes, one take.  Take 4 on June 16.  They still tried 11 more takes, but had the perfect one on tape.  Fascinating writing about the recording process in the Marcus book.

Edited by felser
trying to clear out quoting weirdness

That's the difference between Sinatra & Dylan right there, then, if Sinatra had hit it on Take 4, there might have been a Take 5, very remotely possibly a Take 6, but definitely not takes 7-11.

But now I'm wondering what all went on for takes 5-15, what was being went for that didn't happen...because god, that released take, that thing still gets my fire going, some real viseceracality there.

I don't know about even the smallest version of this set, I mean, yeah, it's the best Dylan for me, but, I dunno, I'm not obsessive about Dylan in the least, I have some, and it's not a little, but it's not a lot, and it tends to go as far as I want it to whenever I go there. But that one session, yeah, I want to hear that.