RCA Victor reissues

OliverM

New RCA Victor reissues, some of them (most?) have been reissued many times and no new mastering here it seems:

Gil Evans plays the music of Jimi Hendrix

Jeanne Lee, Ran Blake - The Newest Sound Around

Martial Solal - At Newport '63

Phineas Newborn Jr- Fabulous Phineas

Paul Desmond - Easy Living

Gary Burton - The Genuine Tong Funeral

Mack the Knife and Other Berlin Songs of Kurt Weill

Lou Levy Trio - A Most Musical Fella

George Russell - The Jazz Workshop

Sonny Rollins - What's New

I just picked up the Desmond and the Russell.

Also in this series (gleaned from Amazon UK):

Chet Baker: Chet is Back

Charlie Mingus: Tijuana Moods

Bud Powell: Strictly Powell

Lee Konitz: Stereokonitz

Pony Poindexter: Pony Express

Helen Merrill: Parole e Musica

Dave Bailey: One Foot in the Gutter

Ray Bryant: Little Suzie

Dave Pike: Pike's Peak

Johnny Cole: The Warm Sound

Dave Grusin: Kaleidescope

Charlie Rouse: Yeah

18 hours ago, OliverM said:

New RCA Victor reissues, some of them (most?) have been reissued many times and no new mastering here it seems:

Not sure that there's no new mastering. The Levy was only on cd before from Fresh Sounds (unofficial, my estimation) and this new one has a bonus track not on cd before.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Not sure that there's no new mastering. The Levy was only on cd before from Fresh Sounds (unofficial, my estimation) and this new one has a bonus track not on cd before.

I don't know for all of them but the two I got mention the same producer for the reissues as an earlier series, Daniel Baumgarten. The Desmond mentions being mastered at La Source mastering by Jean-Pierre Chalbos, which is a 2000 remaster I think.

Other characteristics are they added a "jazz connoisseur" label to this series. The Liner notes are transcriptions of the original LP ones followed by the facsimile of the same thing as it was originally on the back cover. The transcriptions are plenty of mistakes, seems they were scanned and not checked afterwards.

Sound is very good on both, except for a very brief yet disturbing digital error at 03:31 on the first track of the Desmond, in the midst of the Jim Hall solo... I wonder if it is there on all the copies.

2 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

I had the Solal on LP as a child, I didn't realize it was a fake live date then.

Allmusic says that it's his true 1963 Newport concert, supplemented with rehearsal takes with added fake applause.  

I ordered the Blake/Lee from Amazon and what arrived  was on the"Solar" label  from 2012.  It had 6 bonus tracks from a 1963 broadcast of a concert in Germany. Good notes, including the original RCA, the original Downbeat review, the AMG entry and  the entry from the NY Times "Essential Jazz Library" (what's that?). 

Edited by medjuck

On 26.3.2016 at 11:43 AM, crisp said:

Pony Poindexter: Pony Express

Johnny Cole: The Warm Sound

Charlie Rouse: Yeah

If they include the one track from the Poindexter cut for the Columbia Xmas anthology of they time, as well as the alternate of Lanyop, I'll go for Pony Express, but only then.

The Coles was on Koch with bonus tracks; the Rouse on a Columbia Jazz Masterpieces CD with another half album added ('Unsung Hero'). 

I wonder if these additional tracks will be included. I'm not holding my breath. 

It was very easy to get the answers via amazon.

The Poindexter has 11 tracks, which includes the Lanyop alternate, the same as the previous CD.

The Coles has the two bonus tracks that were on the Koch.

The Rouse has the three songs from the album with Seldon Powell material.

If I scroll further down on the page linked I find this item, which spurs my interest as Thad Jones plays on it - anybody heard it?

51ldTM1OeKL._SX425_.jpg61Q8V6z0VCL.jpg

The Koch reissue of Poindexter's album, btw, did not include the alternate of Lanyop. So that's an improvement. The new CD still misses the great rendition of Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer recorded for the Jingle Bell Jazz LP. Lord lists an unissued alternate of Cattin' Latin they could have checked if it's worth inclusion.

Edited by mikeweil

Before that one, Grusin recorded two trio LPs with Milt Hinton and Don Lamond for Epic ...

The second seems to be with strings and was reissued on Blue Moon, who say it was Osie Johnson playing drums - Lord does not mention the strings and has the wrong drummer (Lamond):

piano-strings-and-moonlight-the-many-moo