Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Christian Petzold retrospective on at TIFF.  I managed to snag the last ticket to Afire, his most recent and apparently quite uncharacteristic film.  It's quite comic, mixed with darker themes.  I liked it a lot, but not sure how deep I will get into his work if this one really is so different from his other films.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from The Boy and The Heron.  Parts were really interesting.  Someone in the audience at the end was loudly declaring that the internal logic and storytelling made no sense and she was deeply disappointed.  I wasn't that dismayed, but it's not his best by far.  My favorite is Howl's Moving Castle, though even that has a couple of weird gaps, papered over by "dream logic."

I will say that I thought the book, How Do You Live?, would be far more prominent, based on some early discussions about the movie, but it is really not much more than a footnote.

I just heard about American Fiction.  It sounds pretty intriguing (about a Black English professor who decides to increase his book sales by writing a novel as if he were a homeboy).  It should open in Toronto next Thurs., and I'll see about checking it out soon after that.

AMFC_OneSheet.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw Aki Kaurismäki's Fallen Leaves.  On the whole I liked it, aside from the playing of alcoholism for laughs in a certain sense, plus the main character just deciding to stop drinking overnight and succeeding.  I suppose this may happen in a very, very few cases, but this part of the plot didn't ring true for other reasons.

I am likely to try to catch The Holdovers tomorrow.  This is basically gone from the main theatres but is kicking around a few second-run theatres in Toronto.

MV5BNDc2MzNkMjMtZDY5NC00NmQ0LWI1NjctZjRh

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Just saw Aki Kaurismäki's Fallen Leaves.  On the whole I liked it, aside from the playing of alcoholism for laughs in a certain sense, plus the main character just deciding to stop drinking overnight and succeeding.  I suppose this may happen in a very, very few cases, but this part of the plot didn't ring true for other reasons.

I am likely to try to catch The Holdovers tomorrow.  This is basically gone from the main theatres but is kicking around a few second-run theatres in Toronto.

MV5BNDc2MzNkMjMtZDY5NC00NmQ0LWI1NjctZjRh

Check the copyright notice in the credits at the beginning.