Return Of The Film Corner Thread

28 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

This has been on my to-watch list for a long time… thanks for putting it back on my radar.

Recent viewing includes this fine 1973 Robert Mitchum outing:

Ih7c7WkDI5YcytMafpe83E30nVygJD_large.jpg

I’ve always been a little wary of checking out his turn as Marlowe in remake of The Big Sleep, but somewhat curious as well, given that I’m a Mitchum fan. (Does my avatar give it away? 🧐)

I was wary too, (it's set in England!) but it's quite interesting because follows the plot of the book much more closely than the Hawks/Bogart version. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Managed to catch a few films in the Pop Japan series here at TIFF: A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness and Tokyo Drifter both directed by Seijun Suzuki. 

I was trying to see Spirited Away but all the showings were sold out.  😢  It's supposed coming back to North America at the end of Oct. as part of Ghibli Fest, and I'll just try harder to get tickets then.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a local cinema that is showing classic and somewhat overlooked anime films (for $5!).  I just saw Paprika, which is really quite a mind-bending film all about diving into people's dreams.  I'd say that Fellini was at least one of the inspirations behind this movie.  And apparently Nolan admitted that Paprika was an inspiration for Inception.

On 7/17/2023 at 11:16 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Ann is determined to drag me to an IMAX for this, but I am "Oppenheimered out" after the documentary and all the promos on tv. Oh, well.

If you change your mind, don't go too far out of your way to see an IMAX screening unless it's actual IMAX 70mm - the regular "IMAX" screenings are digital and don't even have the resolution of regular 35mm film. 

The best summary I've seen of the confusing array of screening options that are available is the "Film Formats" illustration a little ways down the page in this article:

Only 19 U.S. theaters will show ‘Oppenheimer’ in 70mm Imax.

I am actually contemplating seeing Barbie, just to see if it's the inspired pop-culture tweaking that all the hype is trying to say that it is. Willing to go to a bargain matinee to find out, maybe. 

But Oppenheimer... There was a cycle of documentaries and such a few decades ago that I paid attention to. Not sure what Hollywood is going to do to improve on that. 

1 hour ago, Dave Garrett said:

If you change your mind, don't go too far out of your way to see an IMAX screening unless it's actual IMAX 70mm - the regular "IMAX" screenings are digital and don't even have the resolution of regular 35mm film. 

The best summary I've seen of the confusing array of screening options that are available is the "Film Formats" illustration a little ways down the page in this article:

Only 19 U.S. theaters will show ‘Oppenheimer’ in 70mm Imax.

Tickets at one of the 2 local "IMAX" options for tomorrow at 2:50 - will report back.