• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, ejp626 said:

Just saw a restored print of The Lost Boys.  While some of the special effects are only so-so and the "vampire rules" aren't internally consistent, it was still pretty entertaining.  Made me pretty nostalgic for the 80s...

Going to check out Glass Onion over the weekend, and then probably White Noise the following week (and yes it is based on the DeLillo novel).  TIFF is going to screen it for one week.

MV5BMDdmYjc3Y2EtM2FjYS00NGI2LTliZjgtYmQx

Who knew White Noise was actually a documentary?  Yikes!   https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/politics/ohio-train-derailment-infrastructure-what-matters/index.html

230205145346-03-train-derailment-east-pa

This looks exactly like a still from the movie.

I've been going to this winter's Doc Films weekly series of Jean Renoir movies and am fascinated by how much they have changed since the last time I saw them 1 or 2 or 3 decades ago.   They're still terrific and it seems like more vital than ever.  "The Grand Illusion" last week.

Also, Pascal Merigau's biography "Jean Renoir" is surely one of the best ever, 700+ pages, no moralizing but clear about Renoir's moral and amoral sides.   Like his nuts, desperate notion of going to Italy, working on the unfinished "Tosca" there and by doing that, encouraging France-Italy friendship  -  in 1940!   This before escaping to America. 

A favorite Merigau quote:  as well as directing, Renoir occasionally acted, including "his role as a music critic, but that was truly an example of an occupation that produced nothing useful and therefore wasn't a real one."

2 hours ago, John B Litweiler said:

I've been going to this winter's Doc Films weekly series of Jean Renoir movies and am fascinated by how much they have changed since the last time I saw them 1 or 2 or 3 decades ago.   They're still terrific and it seems like more vital than ever.  "The Grand Illusion" last week.

Also, Pascal Merigau's biography "Jean Renoir" is surely one of the best ever, 700+ pages, no moralizing but clear about Renoir's moral and amoral sides.   Like his nuts, desperate notion of going to Italy, working on the unfinished "Tosca" there and by doing that, encouraging France-Italy friendship  -  in 1940!   This before escaping to America. 

A favorite Merigau quote:  as well as directing, Renoir occasionally acted, including "his role as a music critic, but that was truly an example of an occupation that produced nothing useful and therefore wasn't a real one."

I've been gradually catching up with the few Renoir's I've never seen.  Just saw  the unfinished, and unsuccessful,   "La nuit du carrefour", and even it was interesting.   (It's way more unfinished than A Day in the Country which seems quite complete to me. 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:51 PM, medjuck said:

I've been gradually catching up with the few Renoir's I've never seen.  Just saw  the unfinished, and unsuccessful,   "La nuit du carrefour", and even it was interesting.   (It's way more unfinished than A Day in the Country which seems quite complete to me. 

Early in the century, shortly after rereading Simenon's "Night at the Crossroads" I saw "La nuit du carrefour," no subtitles, and the film seemed quite a success  -  a moody pre-noir that's painstakingly true to its source.   I  might think differently if I spoke French.

34 minutes ago, John B Litweiler said:

Early in the century, shortly after rereading Simenon's "Night at the Crossroads" I saw "La nuit du carrefour," no subtitles, and the film seemed quite a success  -  a moody pre-noir that's painstakingly true to its source.   I  might think differently if I spoke French.

Story doesn't quite make sense but I though Winna Winifried was terrific though she doesn't seem to have had much of a career: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935108/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Edited by medjuck

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched "Blonde" last night (I try to see all the Oscar-nominated performances) and really hated it. Ana de Armas was fine, but she was undone by a lousy one-note screenplay that had nothing but Monroe as victim. She *was* victimized, but she also formed her own production company, negotiated a tough deal with another studio and won several awards for her acting. The "scene" with JFK was particularly nasty. Hated the movie. Hated it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw Bertolucci's The Conformist on the big screen.  Definitely a lush, almost dreamlike movie.  The visuals are incredible.  The actual story, not as compelling to me, particularly as there are several moments I couldn't even tell what was going on (exactly who was shooting at whom, for instance).  But still worth seeing for sure.

Recently rewatched Altman's CALIFORNIA SPLIT. Maybe the finest movie I've ever seen about addiction. George Segal and Elliott Gould play off each other brilliantly.

Also watched FORCE OF EVIL (1948) for the first time. John Garfield stars in a film directed by Abraham Polonsky. Combines elements of film noir, CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, the Communist Manifesto, and the French new Wave (plagiarism by anticipation). Score by David Raksin (LAURA). Joe Bob says check it out.

Force_of_Evil_(1948_poster).jpg

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Recently rewatched Altman's CALIFORNIA SPLIT. Maybe the finest movie I've ever seen about addiction. George Segal and Elliott Gould play off each other brilliantly.

Also watched FORCE OF EVIL (1948) for the first time. John Garfield stars in a film directed by Abraham Polonsky. Combines elements of film noir, CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, the Communist Manifesto, and the French new Wave (plagiarism by anticipation). Score by David Raksin (LAURA). Joe Bob says check it out.

Marie Windsor! I just got done watching an episode of Bat Masterson with her in it. She was quite seductive! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 9:52 AM, Joe said:

This has been on my to-watch list for a long time… thanks for putting it back on my radar.

Recent viewing includes this fine 1973 Robert Mitchum outing:

Ih7c7WkDI5YcytMafpe83E30nVygJD_large.jpg

Also noticing as I get older that films and TV shows shot in the 1970s provoke a very bittersweet sort of nostalgia in me. The textures of the physical world on display—characters using pay phones, buying coffee from vending machines in the pre-Starbucks era, the bars and aging early/mid-20th century diners and other haunts that they frequent—is the world of my parents and my grandparents as well as my childhood, is one that’s just about gone at this point. As will we all, sooner or later! Hopefully later. Haven’t seen any other Mitchum movies from the 1970s—recommendations? I’ve always been a little wary of checking out his turn as Marlowe in remake of The Big Sleep, but somewhat curious as well, given that I’m a Mitchum fan. (Does my avatar give it away? 🧐)

Edited by ghost of miles