Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Tickets at one of the 2 local "IMAX" options for tomorrow at 2:50 - will report back.

Thanks. I didn't know that.  IMAX is 65 mm (70 mm when you add a soundtrack) run sideways.  (BTW VistaVision was 35mm film run sideways.)  I used to have a frame of an IMAX film to hand around to my students. It was the size of a small  post card. 

On 7/23/2023 at 11:33 PM, JSngry said:

70mm IMAX in Dallas...should that be enough to sway me into seeing it? 

Definitely. If you can get a ticket, anyway - from what I've been hearing, most of the 70mm IMAX screenings are already sold out well into August, if not later. Given the very limited number of theaters that can screen that format, there are people that are traveling considerable distances to be able to see it in one of them.

Fortunate to live about an hour's drive from one of the 19 IMAX theaters here in the U.S., at the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis.  They just extended their sold-out run of Oppenheimer showings for another week, enabling me to pick up August 11 tickets for my brother and me. I've already seen it at a standard theater here in Bloomington and have been raving about it to friends ever since; can't wait to see it at the IMAX.

8 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

It's a very, very good movie.

Yes it is!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be disappointed in how it finally turns out, but it looks like Drive-Away Dolls (by Ethan Coen of the Coen Brothers) is riffing off of Pulp Fiction, at least based on the trailer, which I've seen a couple of times now.  Supposedly this won't actually be released until 2024...

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw Theatre Camp.  Very funny, even if it draws hard on Waiting for Guffman and other mockumentaries and to a lesser extent Meatballs.  

MV5BOThlNmY4ZDYtYTVmYi00MDRiLWE3ZmYtNWI0

The plot is that the director of the theatre camp is sent into a seizure by strobe light effects in a high school production of Bye Bye Birdie (while scouting for talent to attend said camp) and thence into a coma.  Her son, who has never really understood the magic of theatre and is portrayed as a doofus, steps in on an interim basis to help run the camp.  The rest of the staff openly belittle him.  Will they all pull together (to save the magic) when there is a financial crisis that threatens the camp?

They are screening Grave of the Fireflies at the same cinema, so I think I'll check that over the weekend, but I needed a bit of time to adjust...

MV5BZmY2NjUzNDQtNTgxNC00M2Q4LTljOWQtMjNj

On 9/5/2023 at 9:21 AM, mjzee said:

Saw this yesterday; very good:

?url=http:%252F%252Fnpr-brightspot.s3.am

I agree. I didn't know much about it before I went (except that Mirren was playing the lead). I was surprised at the focus on the '73 war, but thought she was very good indeed.

Watched Denzel slaughter bad guys last night in Equalizer 3. With those movies, you get exactly what you expect.

I just watched The Small Back Room by Powell and Pressberger on The Criterion Channel.  The film is set in 1943 and at one point they go to a club and hear The Ted Heath band.  The music sounded to me as if the band was starting to be a bit bop influenced.  Then I remembered that the film was made in 1948 so the music might be a bit anachronistic. Anyone else ever see this film and am I just underestimating the complexity of '40s swing bands? 

Edited by medjuck

• 3 weeks later...

I'd been holding off for what seems like forever, trying to see Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7 for the first time on a proper screen.  There was a mini Varda fest at the Paradise Theatre here in Toronto, and I saw The Beaches of Agnes (which was very interesting), but they didn't screen Cleo.

So I went ahead and rented it and watched it this evening.  Definitely an interesting film.  I think my favorite part was up in her room with the kittens and then later the song-writing crew (with the pianist played by Michel Legrand!).

MV5BOTI3ZTJkZTctZGU4NC00Zjk0LWJjYjMtZGNi

On a completely different note, I plan on watching the SF comedy Relax, I'm from the Future either tomorrow or Monday.

MV5BZDE4NGZmMTMtODM4MS00ZTg3LWEzM2YtM2Jk

On 10/7/2023 at 11:24 PM, ejp626 said:

On a completely different note, I plan on watching the SF comedy Relax, I'm from the Future either tomorrow or Monday.

Some absolutely ridiculous plot holes (pretty typical for all time travel movies), but actually quite entertaining.  Toronto got to "play itself" in this film.  I thought the Beck taxis that turned up were also a nice touch.  I assume this was a fairly low budget indy film, but it looked pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a retro throwback weekend at the local theatres.  I saw Real Genius and Back to the Future over the weekend.  Both were a lot of fun.  Before Real Genius, they asked who was seeing the film for the first time, and it was probably 80% of the audience.  I felt old...