Bobby Hutcherson RIP

CJ Shearn

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw him perform in person, but I've enjoyed his playing on recordings.  Surprisingly, out of the 7 dates of his I have (I'll soon be adding Wise One), only one is from his original Blue Note run (the wonderful Stick-Up!).  I'll have to rectify that.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Hutcherson, and rest in peace.

FWIW, I wrote a short this short requiem the other day:

Heartbroken over the death of vibraphonist and composer Bobby Hutcherson at age 75. He was one of my greatest heroes and one of the most profound figures to come of age in the '60s in jazz. He's safely in the canon but still underrated. His expansive sound encompassed so much -- adventure, wide-eyed wonder, pure beauty, endless possibilities, innovation anchored by tradition, and the kind of nuanced individual expression that could never be duplicated no matter how many legions he influenced.

Hutcherson was a thrilling and spontaneous improviser -- you NEVER knew what he was going to play -- and as much virtuoso technique and harmonic knowledge as he had, the emotional content of his music hit you first and hardest. He was a storyteller, who took you on a trip, brought you to a place of dreams -- and the occasional nightmare -- and then returned you home safely. He created as personal and complete a sound world as anyone ever has in jazz and you were a different and better person after spending time there -- more self-aware, more empathetic and more human.

Edited by Mark Stryker

MIchael Weiss alerted me to a fantastic Hutcherson bootleg from the Jazz Workshop in Boston, apparently from 1974. The rhythm section is Cecil Bernard, Ray Drummond and Larry Hancock -- same cats as on the "Live at Montreux" recordings with Woody Shaw from 1973 that came out a little while back on CD. Bobby takes no prisoners on Chick's "Tones for Joan's Bones" with the tempo way upstairs for this tune.

Edited by Mark Stryker

On August 19, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Justin V said:

I never saw him perform in person, but I've enjoyed his playing on recordings.  Surprisingly, out of the 7 dates of his I have (I'll soon be adding Wise One), only one is from his original Blue Note run (the wonderful Stick-Up!).  I'll have to rectify that.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Hutcherson, and rest in peace.

Interestingly I have listening to more of his later albums since his passing and not so much those early Blue Note albums, great as they are.

On August 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Heartbroken over the death of vibraphonist and composer Bobby Hutcherson at age 75. He was one of my greatest heroes and one of the most profound figur...es to come of age in the '60s in jazz. He's safely in the canon but still underrated. His expansive sound encompassed so much -- adventure, wide-eyed wonder, pure beauty, endless possibilities, innovation anchored by tradition, and the kind of nuanced individual expression that could never be duplicated no matter how many legions he influenced.

Hutcherson was a thrilling and spontaneous improviser -- you NEVER knew what he was going to play -- and as much virtuoso technique and harmonic knowledge as he had, the emotional content of his music hit you first and hardest. He was a storyteller, who took you on a trip, brought you to a place of dreams -- and the occasional nightmare -- and then returned you home safely. He created as personal and complete a sound world as anyone ever has in jazz and you were a different and better person after spending time there -- more self-aware, more empathetic and more human.

Wonderful.

For those inquiring about services for Bobby Hutcherson...
Tuesday, August 30th
5:00pm Family Viewing at Our Lady of the Pillar in Half Moon Bay
5:30pm Public Viewing
7:00pm Rosary

Wednesday, August 31st
11:00am Mass at Our Lady of the Pillar
12:30pm Luncheon at Mezza Luna (Family and close friends only, please)

Contact Paige Hutcherson with questions.
email: paigejaffa22@gmail.com
call/text: 650-867-0819
Hey! Thanks for stopping by, please like our page and share the content.
The Most Influential African-American Cultural Network in the Universe!
Keeping The Idiom Alive Rashid Booker Harlem USA 125th St

On 8/19/2016 at 5:41 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Heartbroken over the death of vibraphonist and composer Bobby Hutcherson at age 75. He was one of my greatest heroes and one of the most profound figur...es to come of age in the '60s in jazz. He's safely in the canon but still underrated. His expansive sound encompassed so much -- adventure, wide-eyed wonder, pure beauty, endless possibilities, innovation anchored by tradition, and the kind of nuanced individual expression that could never be duplicated no matter how many legions he influenced.

Wonderful words and so true. Thank you for sharing, Mark.

Edited by HutchFan

This is a sad moment, but it gave me good reason to listen to a bunch of Bobby Hutcherson's recordings - only skimming the surface, really.  His was a long and varied career, with too many highlights to digest.  But I put together two hours of Hutcherson for my "Straight, No Chaser" program on KBCS this week.  The list is admittedly weighted in favor of his 1960s recordings, but I think you'll understand that.  If you're interested, you can hear it any time (until Sept. 5) in the audio archive at www.kbcs.fm under August 22.

(The complete playlist is posted in my radio show thread, at p. 13 -- see link below.)

Joe Chambers wrote a short piece about Bobby for New Music Box. One footnote:  Joe says he was part of a 1963 concert at the Brooklyn Academy of Music that was led by Eric Dolphy and that the band also included Hutcherson, Freddie Hubbard and Richard Davis. The concert was recorded, but Joe says the tapes appear to be lost, though a bunch of folks apparently are on the hunt. I'd like to add: Would somebody please find them? Thanks in advance.

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/california-sunshine-remembering-bobby-hutcherson-1941-2016/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=newmusicbox&utm_content=California+Sunshine%3A+Remembering+Bobby+Hutcherson+
Edited by Mark Stryker

On 21.8.2016 at 0:04 AM, Mark Stryker said:

MIchael Weiss alerted me to a fantastic Hutcherson bootleg from the Jazz Workshop in Boston, apparently from 1974. The rhythm section is Cecil Bernard, Ray Drummond and Larry Hancock -- same cats as on the "Live at Montreux" recordings with Woody Shaw from 1973 that came out a little while back on CD. Bobby takes no prisoners on Chick's "Tones for Joan's Bones" with the tempo way upstairs for this tune.

:tup!

I'll never forget the concert I caught at the Aaron Davis Hall in June of 2000. The Times reviewer panned it a bit, but other than the corny rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, I thought it was incredible. The lineup? Bobby, Jackie McLean, Andrew Hill, Scott Colley & Billy Higgins!

departures-and-destinations-at-aaron-dav

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• 3 weeks later...

That's an amazing list of performers.  Joe Gilman, the pianist listed in his West Coast band is a local player I've been following for thirty years.  He may have been the first jazz pianist I heard when I moved to Sacramento back in the 1980s.  He's really a wonderful player and his style meshed well with Hutcherson's.  

Edited by six string

1 hour ago, six string said:

That's an amazing list of performers.  Joe Gilman, the pianist listed in his West Coast band is a local player I've been following for thirty years.  He may have been the first jazz pianist I heard when I moved to Sacramento back in the 1980s.  He's really a wonderful player and his style meshed well with Hutcherson's.  

Has an excellent album on his own titled "Americanvas" ....

Been listening to 'Knucklebean' on vinyl this afternoon, which is also on the aforementioned Mosaic Select. Very enjoyable and with a great picture of a cheerful Bobby H. with the coast behind him on the back sleeve.

Of all of the Mosaic Selects, I'm sure I play the Hutcherson and the Grachan the most.

Edited by sidewinder

On September 17, 2016 at 7:52 AM, soulpope said:

Has an excellent album on his own titled "Americanvas" ....

Have you heard his two cds of Brubeck tunes?  He recorded them with two students at the Brubeck Institute which Joe has taught at (not sure of his association now) and it's a great reimagination of Brubeck's songs.  I haven't heard Americanvas yet as a whole but I think I've heard some songs performed live.  He's a local treasure.  I'm so glad he decided to work in the field of music instead of law.  Not everyone can play the piano like Joe.  

Did anyone go to the memorial service?  I had considered it but since I never met the man it would have felt a little weird.

Edited by six string

6 hours ago, six string said:

Have you heard his two cds of Brubeck tunes?  He recorded them with two students at the Brubeck Institute which Joe has taught at (not sure of his association now) and it's a great reimagination of Brubeck's songs.  I haven't heard Americanvas yet as a whole but I think I've heard some songs performed live.  He's a local treasure.  I'm so glad he decided to work in the field of music instead of law.  Not everyone can play the piano like Joe.  

Only heard "Americanvas" .... thnx for the hint ....

On 9/22/2016 at 8:00 PM, six string said:

Did anyone go to the memorial service?  I had considered it but since I never met the man it would have felt a little weird.

Didn't go to the service, but have tickets for the upcoming concert.