all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I d/l last night Jack McDuff: Tough Duff, The Honeydripper, Brotherly Love. Eric Alexander: Alexander the Great and The Battle: Live at Smoke, and finally Horace Silver Paris Blues. I really wish I still had my microsoft publisher on the comp (lost my Office XP disc oops) to print the cover art.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Naxos Classical Favorites

Haydn Op. 76 string quartets - Kodaly Quartet (2 volumes). If you like and want more, they have the complete quartets.

Nielsen Symphones 4-5 Adrian Leaper cond.

French Violin Sonatas Dong Suk Kang and Pascal Devoyon.

Gorecki Symphony #3 (purists may howl but I love it) Antoni Wit cond.

Shostakovich String Quartets - whichever disk includes Quartet #8 to start.

stuff i just d/l and burned

Dexter Gordon's

Complete Prestige Disc # 03

anyone else d/l these or planning to?

Hi Jeff,

I downloaded all 11 CDs of the Dexter Gordon Prestige set, and am damn glad I did. I've had a bit of it on CD before, but decided to snag the whole thing off of eMusic. Basically, those 11 CDs (88 tracks in total) cost me about $17! I can't argue with that... and I can find a lot of the information about each album online if need be.

Again, if anyone digs reggae at all, especially the roots and dub stuff of the late '60s and the '70s, I encourage y'all to d/l stuff from the Blood and Fire label... they now have about 50 albums available on eMusic. Great stuff! :tup

Cheers,

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but there is an unusual Riverside album called John Benson Brooks' Alabama Concerto Featuring Cannonball Adderley / Art Farmer, which doesn't really show up if you are doing a search for Adderley (easier to search by title). I was hipped to this album, which is sort of a jazz/folk/classical thing, by David's Night Lights' program called Juneteenth in the archives. Cool stuff, though I can't download the rest of the album for another couple of weeks.

Hi All,

Some new stuff on eMusic this week that is pretty interesting. I've notice 3 new titles on the Unique Jazz label, which appear to be live boots... there is one from Ornette Coleman (5 songs, 36:23), one from Eric Dolphy (4 songs, 36:17), and one from Bill Evans (8 songs, 39:45).

What the hell are these things???

I note that there have been two previous titles on the Unique Jazz label, John Coltrane - Live in 1962! (3 songs, 40:13), and Charles Mingus - Live in Stuttgart 1964! (4 songs, 41:25).

Anyone have these and can shed insight as to exactly what they are?

Cheers,

Shane

Hi All,

Hey, I also noticed the "new" addition to eMusic this week:

John Coltrane - Live At The Half Note on the Audio Fidelity label. This thing has 6 songs (75:34 total), but they don't seem to correspond to the new Impulse! Coltrane - One Down One Up release. The songs are:

1. Chim Chim Cheree (18:30)

2. I Want To Talk About You (10:11)

3. Impressions (14:52)

4. One Up One Down (7:08)

5. Song Of Praise (18:33)

6. Untitled Original (6:20)

I've checked Wild's Discography about this release, but I don't see any Half Note release with these songs/times... Anyone know what this is???

Cheers,

Shane

Hi All,

Hey, I also noticed the "new" addition to eMusic this week:

John Coltrane - Live At The Half Note on the Audio Fidelity label.  This thing has 6 songs (75:34 total), but they don't seem to correspond to the new Impulse! Coltrane - One Down One Up release.  The songs are:

1. Chim Chim Cheree  (18:30)

2. I Want To Talk About You  (10:11)

3. Impressions  (14:52)

4. One Up One Down  (7:08)

5. Song Of Praise  (18:33)

6. Untitled Original  (6:20)

I've checked Wild's Discography about this release, but I don't see any Half Note release with these songs/times... Anyone know what this is???

Cheers,

Shane

Edit: My initial response wasn't quite accurate. Here is what AMG says:

Despite the inaccurate information given on this three-LP box set (which states that all of the music was recorded at the Half Note in 1963; none of it actually was), these rare performances are quite fascinating. "I Want to Talk About You" and "One Up, One Down" actually originated from Birdland on Feb. 23, 1963 and, although the other six performances are from Half Note, they date from March 19 ("Impressions" and "Chim Chim Cheree"), April 12 ("Untitled Original") and May 7 ("Brazilia," "Song of Praise" and "My Favorite Things") of 1965. Coltrane is in particularly fiery form on the later tracks and with four of the eight selections being over 19 minutes long, there is plenty of room for him to stretch out. It's recommended despite the erratic packaging but sure to be hard-to-find.

Edited by J Larsen

Quite a bummer about the Leo catalog. I re-signed up a few weeks ago to get some more Braxtons, but they were all gone.

Another recent non-jazz addition is the Drive-By Truckers, a truly phenomenal southern rock band with 3 excellent songwriters, great lyrics, and all the trimmings. D/l Decoration Day and The Dirty South if you can. They are both amazing albums and get my 5 star guarantee.

Edit: My initial response wasn't quite accurate. Here is what AMG says:

Despite the inaccurate information given on this three-LP box set (which states that all of the music was recorded at the Half Note in 1963; none of it actually was), these rare performances are quite fascinating. "I Want to Talk About You" and "One Up, One Down" actually originated from Birdland on Feb. 23, 1963 and, although the other six performances are from Half Note, they date from March 19 ("Impressions" and "Chim Chim Cheree"), April 12 ("Untitled Original") and May 7 ("Brazilia," "Song of Praise" and "My Favorite Things") of 1965. Coltrane is in particularly fiery form on the later tracks and with four of the eight selections being over 19 minutes long, there is plenty of room for him to stretch out. It's recommended despite the erratic packaging but sure to be hard-to-find.

Hi J,

Thanks for that! I listened to the 30 sec sound samples of this CD last night, and they pretty much confirm what AMG talks about. And, although the clips were short, the sound quality is pretty good!

Cheers,

Shane

Very excited about Naxos being added. Also, mentioned on a different thread a rising UK band called Acoustic Ladyland (and related group Polar Bear) just showed up. And Meshell Ndegeocello has a jazz album called Dance of the Infidel, which looks promising.

Finally, I just stumbled across the 2002 James Priester album Deep End Dance, after being inspired to look him up by the love shown to the rerelease of Love Love (which sadly is not on emusic).

Edited by ejp626

FWIW, Leo Records is still there. I don't know about specific Braxton albums, though.

Leo as a label is still there, yes, but almost every album I was interested in is now gone. This includes albums by Anthony Braxton, Evan Parker, Marilyn Crispell, the Ganelin Trio, etc...

Hi John,

I just noticed that eMusic has added the 4 CD set Anthony Braxton - 23 Standards (Quartet) 2003 on Leo Records this week.

My guess is that the other Leo titles were removed because they were actually costing them more than they were taking in... For example, it was possible to snag some Braxton titles for 22 or 44 cents (1 or 2 tracks on the whole CD)! Not bad for a 75 minute album by a musical genius!

And, like you, I had kept a bunch on my "list to download later", and now I'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier. But, they might come back eventually...

That's one thing I love about eMusic... you pay by the track, and if the album only has 3 songs on it, then you pay 75 cents or so. :tup

It's much better than the bullshit iTunes tries to pull, where an album of 3 songs either costs $9.99, or they only charge 99 cents per song BUT don't put the whole album up for download! :tdown

Cheers,

Shane

I do love the system of per track downloading, but it also doesnt make sense with Zappa and many of the classical releases. I mena, the Bradenburg Concertos end up being a rip off.

They should relaly do a 800mb per month limit or something. Then neither side will get cheated based on number of tracks per album.

No, the albums are longer available to those who have already downloaded them.

I do love the system of per track downloading, but it also doesnt make sense with Zappa and many of the classical releases. I mean, the Bradenburg Concertos end up being a rip off.

They should relaly do a 800mb per month limit or something. Then neither side will get cheated based on number of tracks per album.

Awesome news. Any recs? I am woefully inadequate in my Derek Bailey, John Zorn, Wadada Leo Smith etc...

Not knowing how "out" your tastes are, I would suggest starting with these discs:

Masada - Live in Sevilla

John Zorn - The Gift

Wadada Leo Smith - Golden Quartet

Wadada Leo Smith - Kabell Years