Robert Vaughn, RIP

Napoleon Solo died today at 83.  RIP.

I have DVDs of him with UNCLE and also The Protectors.  I'll have to watch one tonight.  Anyone have The Magnificent Seven?

In recent years, he has been seen here on TV promoting "The Law Offices of James Scott Herron!"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/robert-vaughn-%E2%80%98the-man-from-uncle%E2%80%99-star-dies-at-83/ar-AAkbLyF?OCID=ansmsnnews11

9 hours ago, rostasi said:

Surprised to read earlier today that David McCallum is also 83.

About 1:40 to 5:00:

Whoa....a Sam Peckinpah script.

Discovering Strother Martin appearances in older TV westerns is likely to be one of my biggest pleasures going forth. Hell, watching older TV westerns now that I can see all of the layers of what's going on in so many of them is going to be one of my biggest pleasures going forth.

I remember being much taken with The Man from Uncle when I was 9 or 10. I was too young to get into James Bond films (though I had the Jag toy car with the ejector seat) so Uncle on TV provided an alternative. I believe that politically he was with the good guys (as opposed to the bad dudes) too. Just when we need Napoleon Solo...

R.I.P. 

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Thanks Rod!

+1

That was a nice way to spend a half hour (an hour would have been even better, unless it had been after they went to the color format).  Vaughn was good, and of course Strother Martin simply never ever disappoints.

Since it's still Veterans Day, props also to the late James Arness, who was badly injured at Anzio in 1944, and who earned several military decorations, including the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

Well, actually, he had this recent gig on Hustle for twice as long as "...U.N.C.L.E."
I remember catching a couple of episodes by accident and not being particularly
taken by it, but I may not have actually given it a fair shake.

... and thanks to whoever posted the Amazon deal-of-the-day
for the "...U.N.C.L.E." set. I bought myself this as a birthday present - 
41 discs/105 episodes for only $46. Still under $50 with US Amazon Prime now.

In the days when over 90% of my TV watching consisted of "Educational TV"
(that was Chicago's WTTW) and programs like Soul, The Jazz Set, and Black Journal,
the "standard" or popular show that always stood out for me as a child was
"...U.N.C.L.E." to the point where I would always play with a telescoping antenna
that I had somehow found or broke off an old radio and would whisper into it "open channel D"
while humming some of the great Goldsmith/Fried music. Somewhere around here are
cassettes of barely audible recordings directly off the TV from those days.
Thankfully, you can buy 6 or 7 discs of it now.

13 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Thanks Rod!

The press thought you said "Thank God" but you actually said "Thanks Rod."  The whole thing was blown out of proportion, and Rod Stewart would not be big for another five years. 

15 hours ago, GA Russell said:

TTK, the photo you chose was the photo chosen (by RCA?) to grace the music album cover.

Leo G. Carroll was eliminated from the photo, but his finger tips on Vaughn's shoulder were not!

You may be thinking of another piece of UNCLE merchandise.  The photo was not used on either of the RCA LPs. R-370229-1283272536.jpeg.jpg

38675.jpg

Edited by Teasing the Korean