So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Pulled from a "stockpile" of recordings that Ellington produced and recorded over the years funded from his own pocket and not officially released before this series. Not unissued or rejected  tracks, but full-fledged recordings made for various reasons--try out new arrangements, showcase new compositions, feature an artist, etc.

Jack Chambers' collection of Ellington essays "Sweet Thunder" has a good chapter on the stockpile.  IRRC a few of the self financed sessions were released on major labels during EKE's lifetime. 

• Replies 80.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marcus Roberts “Blues for the New Millenium” Columbia cd

c32a5100358602ad67b68d17e6c29a07fd6e8056

It now IS that new millenium. . . and I’ve had the blues. Managing them well though.

This is giving me memories of my 'nineties Austin life with my late first wife and our pets. For a spell there life was as good as it gets at home. I was listening to a lot of “Chicago Style” jazz at the time based on the old New Orleans jazz and blues.

Jason Palmer “City of Poets” Whirlwind Records cd

Cédric Hanriot - piano
Jason Palmer - trumpet
Donny McCaslin - tenor saxophone
Michael Janisch - double & electric bass
Clarence Penn - drums

Recorded live at the Pizza Express Jazz Club September 23, 2014, London

25f75b77d46cb5e83629c15af1add4e563800ee3

92b55dc94411036c750dac7aa9b8c4cc58203da5

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I'm spinning Joanne Brackeen's "Ancient Dynasty" (Columbia) again. This is such a great date and it's a shame that no one has seen fit to release this digitally. If only Mosaic was still doing their "singles".

image.jpeg.0519eb415e196eaa81bdca502bc7debe.jpeg

Both of them. This one has the bonus of some fairly frisky Joe Henderson!

It's not really Columbia, though, it was Tappan Zee, Bob James' imprint. What factor that has been in the non-reissuance, I do not know. 

Starting off on disc 1 of this one, as disc 2 was still in the player from last evening. This year’s SFJazz Collective had a funkier yet still swinging vibe. Their “original compositions” are fun to listen to as are their Jackson interpretations.

SFJazz Collective “The Music of Michael Jackson and Original Compositions” disc 2

467fbdbec77d5bbc4bfefcd8d3d30637fb758934

I’m awake now!

Jeff Williams Quartet “Road Tales: Live at the London Jazz Fesitval”

Jeff Williams - drums
John O’Gallagher - alto saxophone
Josh Arcoleo - tenor saxophone
Sam Lasserson - double bass

Recorded live at London Jazz Festival
at Pizza Express Jazz Club (25 November 2018)

feaaba0f25e78331827a773fcca06de87bc611d6

ecba81d9011199a2f969d9b322c275eb5b09466c

On 9/12/2023 at 11:06 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Ahmed Abdul-Malik - Sounds of Africa

R-5308946-1609503648-1776.jpg.81262020001e0b64d28989420df258f7.jpg

I didn´t know he made a record under his own name. 
I think I know him only as Monk´s bassist and can say, that all bassists who worked with Monk were fantastic. The swung hard and had more percussive sounds, more heavy pluckin´, not that long "doom doom doom doom" you hear when bassists have their strings really down. 

I like the percussive effect of the bass very much, but what do I say, I love everything that´s percussive, drums, Monk´s piano, strong bass players like Malik, like McKibbon, Larry Gales, Butch Warren and who they all was.....

10 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I didn´t know he made a record under his own name. 
I think I know him only as Monk´s bassist and can say, that all bassists who worked with Monk were fantastic. The swung hard and had more percussive sounds, more heavy pluckin´, not that long "doom doom doom doom" you hear when bassists have their strings really down. 

I like the percussive effect of the bass very much, but what do I say, I love everything that´s percussive, drums, Monk´s piano, strong bass players like Malik, like McKibbon, Larry Gales, Butch Warren and who they all was.....

He made a few records. They combine North African influences with hard bop, but much more hard bop. Good, catchy records. I recommend them.