• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This again:

OC00NzMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Bruce Gertz - Red Handed (Double-Time Records, 1999)

If I were to make a list of my favorite records of the 1990s, this one would be on it.  The front-line combo of Abercrombie & Bergonzi is VERY nice.

56 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

This again:

OC00NzMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Bruce Gertz - Red Handed (Double-Time Records, 1999)

If I were to make a list of my favorite records of the 1990s, this one would be on it.  The front-line combo of Abercrombie & Bergonzi is VERY nice.

Time for that 90s blog perhaps? 😀

Dizzy Reece “Star Bright” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

Dizzy Reece – trumpet
Hank Mobley – tenor saxophone
Wynton Kelly – piano
Paul Chambers – bass
Art Taylor – drums

d2ff7cb7e905fe651d936a7ede76185469110922

ca55a4c13cb803faca8153c3c1d149c28ae171c2

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

IMG_3932_optimized_100.jpeg.46da11a6c7db463fd17c608d552069dd.jpeg

Wonderful ! I have loved Pharoah Sanders since I was still amost a kid. One of my first jazz LPs was Tranes "At Village Vanguard Again" (with Pharoah, Alice, Garrison, Rashied Ali) and then I got my first Sanders LP (Live at the East). I like all those great albums he made, those from the 60´s and 70´s as well as the later straight ahead dates with a typical ts.p.,b,dr - quartet...... everything ! 

56 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Wonderful ! I have loved Pharoah Sanders since I was still amost a kid. One of my first jazz LPs was Tranes "At Village Vanguard Again" (with Pharoah, Alice, Garrison, Rashied Ali) and then I got my first Sanders LP (Live at the East). I like all those great albums he made, those from the 60´s and 70´s as well as the later straight ahead dates with a typical ts.p.,b,dr - quartet...... everything ! 

Wow! To have "Live at the East" as your first Pharoah album was probably beautifully intense. My first, as a youngster, was "Tauhid", but "...East" got a LOT of play at home in those days.

11 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Wow! To have "Live at the East" as your first Pharoah album was probably beautifully intense. My first, as a youngster, was "Tauhid", but "...East" got a LOT of play at home in those days.

My LP cover is really old and looks like that, when it was purchased so 50 years ago, when I was a teenager. 
As late as in the second decade of the 2000 when Pharoah Sanders played for the last time in Vienna, I had the LP with me hoping to get to Mr. Sanders if he would like to sign it for me, but I was to shy and thought he doesn´t look like a man who will meet a fan. Too bad, later I heard he sure would have done it. 

But on the other hand, I´m a musician and signed albums does not mean so much to me, it´s the music that counts. Especially in my early days of listening to jazz I was very very much in the stuff of Dolphy, Coleman, Cherry, Sun Ra, late Coltrane and of course Pharoah Sanders. I heard that stuff before I heard Bird on records......